Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth loses connection

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
relic222

Bluetooth loses connection

Post by relic222 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 am

Hi all, I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before - I haven't managed to find any threads with the same problem - but I'm having some issues with my bluetooth connection. I followed the setup instructions in the manual step by step, clearing any previously paired phones first, and it all seemed to work fine. My phone connects to the car and I can access the address book through the steering wheel controls, however the connection seems to drop as soon as I try to make a phone call. I have a Sony Xperia Z running Android 4.3 and my car is a 2004 e85 with the OEM bluetooth setup. I used to be able to connect to my TTS without any issues and I use bluetooth for a number of other devices so I'm fairly certain that it's not the phone that's the issue. Has anyone else had this issue?

pazaz29

Re: Bluetooth loses connection

Post by pazaz29 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 pm

I get the same with galaxy s4 and android. Keeps dropping the connection.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
:driving: 55 Reg * z4 3.0 SMG* Silver * Black leather M seats * Xenons * Navigation * Bluetooth * 108 alloys * :rofl:

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:14 pm

This happens with my android devices too, both htc one mini and Samsung s4 mini

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

There are many various bluetooth problems with andrid devices running android 4.2 and newer.
It is probably caused by changing to ankther bluetooth stack software
I had my htc sensation, and the bluetooth system worked flawlessly, but after changing the phone to htc one I have a problem with very low bluetooth volume.
Probably the only solution would be upgrading our onboard bluetooth software, but AFAIk there's no software update for e85/86

TapaTalking

pazaz29

Post by pazaz29 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:56 pm

I have just purchased my 2005 z4 and have the bluetooth connection which was driving me nuts. I have an s4. I can connect the phone and download all the contacts. Then the bluetooth phone connection gets dropped and doesn't reconnect. I fixed it tonight by downloading a piece of software from Android app store called bluetooth auto connect. It detects when the bluetooth is dropped and reconnects it automatically like the phone is supposed to do. Tried it tonight and it worked perfectly for me. :) Hope it works for others too.

:driving: 55 Reg * z4 3.0 SMG* Silver * Black leather M seats * Xenons * Navigation * Bluetooth * 108 alloys * :rofl:

relic222

Post by relic222 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:39 pm

pazaz29 wrote:I have just purchased my 2005 z4 and have the bluetooth connection which was driving me nuts. I have an s4. I can connect the phone and download all the contacts. Then the bluetooth phone connection gets dropped and doesn't reconnect. I fixed it tonight by downloading a piece of software from Android app store called bluetooth auto connect. It detects when the bluetooth is dropped and reconnects it automatically like the phone is supposed to do. Tried it tonight and it worked perfectly for me. :) Hope it works for others too.

Thanks Pazza, I'll try that out.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:06 pm

I had the same dropping out problem (e89 and Samsung Galaxy 1900) the latest software applied to phone and car without improvement.
I reluctantly bought iPhone 5 and it's worked perfectly ever since, Samsung could not /would not assist even though I was at the point of a new handset!

Now I am an Apple customer and everything just works!

If I'd known about the software app I might not have bothered but glad I did :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

pazaz29

Post by pazaz29 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 am

I think its an Android issue with the new version. I'm sure they will sort it eventually but this will do for now for me. :)

I'd get an iphone. It's not the phone I hate. It's itunes I can't stand. :)

relic222

Post by relic222 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:21 pm

I couldn't seem to get the app to work as I wanted really. It kept reconnected when it dropped out but I still wasn't able to make a phone call through the car. As soon as I dialled a number it dropped out which set the phone back to using the handset speaker, then when it reconnected it stayed on the handset. Have you tried making a call with it yet? Did you change any of the settings?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm

My dealer went thro the hoops trying to sort my android/Bluetooth drop out problem and all credit to them.

Their final advice. "Buy an iPhone" a bitter pill to swallow but they were right!

relic222

Post by relic222 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 am

ronk wrote:My dealer went thro the hoops trying to sort my android/Bluetooth drop out problem and all credit to them.

Their final advice. "Buy an iPhone" a bitter pill to swallow but they were right!
Well my phone always used to work fine with my Audi so another answer could be 'Buy and Audi' but neither are really solutions to the problem :roll: . I chose not to buy an iPhone, I don't see why that should mean I can't use bluetooth functionality. My brother's Android phone works fine in his 6 Series so it's clearly not all BMWs, perhaps just the older models.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:47 am

relic222 wrote:
ronk wrote:My dealer went thro the hoops trying to sort my android/Bluetooth drop out problem and all credit to them.

Well my phone always used to work fine with my Audi so another answer could be 'Buy and Audi' but neither are really solutions to the problem :roll: . I chose not to buy an iPhone, I don't see why that should mean I can't use bluetooth functionality. My brother's Android phone works fine in his 6 Series so it's clearly not all BMWs, perhaps just the older models.
I didn't just dive in willy nilly with this problem because I really wanted to keep a Samsung so the dealer reinstalled the software in my car (e89 2010) then loaned me a demonstrator 3 series for a weekend, both cars dropped the Bluetooth connection. He also said that if they had problems such as this before, it was nearly always the phone.
He has seen quite a lot more than ours I think. Hence his advice!

As a footnote, my old Samsung also worked perfectly in out Disco 3 and Audi - it would seem that there is an incompatibility with BMW Bluetooth version and Samsung's version. That's what Samsung's tech department told me.
They were unable or reluctant to help any further so I jumped ship and I did as the dealer recommended. Haven't had a peck of trouble since.

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Android changed bluetooth stack moving from ics to jelly bean
Most of the stock roms have problems when connecti.g to older bt systems, whereas most "aftermarket" roms dont have this problem.
With htc one probably the problem is low energy bt stack - in my one the problem was partially solved after updating to kitkat, but the quality of the connection is still noticeably worse then on my older htc sensation running android 4.0ics.

TapaTalking

pazaz29

Post by pazaz29 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am

Apparently there is an update for android soon that is supposed to fix lots of bluetooth issues.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 pm

pazaz29 wrote:Apparently there is an update for android soon that is supposed to fix lots of bluetooth issues.

Too late for me now!

If Samsung had helped me solve the problem I would have stayed android. They didn't, so now I'm all Appled up and it just works without fuss.