Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best value tyres for "normal" driving?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:35 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:17 pm How much do your odds of having an accident actually decrease by using Michelin over Kumho? I'm guessing somewhere between not at all and very, very small fractions of a percent, if you're a normal driver in a normal car.
Matching your tires with your driving style and conditions/environment is the correct path. I won't put anything but summer non-RFT on mine, but I don't take it out of the garage unless I can put the top down and enjoy it. A poor pairing is unsafe. What is priced to sell and meets my requirements... is probably a reasonable model.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

weegeoff

Post by weegeoff » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:56 pm

I used Falken on my e85 and drove in snow. Never had any problems :thumbsup:

plenty

Post by plenty » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:10 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:17 pm How much do your odds of having an accident actually decrease by using Michelin over Kumho? I'm guessing somewhere between not at all and very, very small fractions of a percent, if you're a normal driver in a normal car.
Nicely put. Most drivers will never get close to the limits of UHP tyres. And thanks to progress today's mid-range tyres perform comparably to the UHP offerings 10-15 years ago, or when these cars were new.

Avon, Falken, Hankook, Kumho, Toyo, Uniroyal, Vredestein all typically safe choices for most drivers who aren't pushing the envelope. Although if you shop around and buy during one of the frequent promotional periods you can find Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelin for not much more. Stick to 18s and your tyres will be considerably cheaper not to mention your ride and handling will be better :)

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 pm

Here you go if want to spend some time looking at direct comparisons from 2020 18"
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

or 2022 here 19"

or 2023 18"

No doubt B21 will be along soon to say what have I been telling you!!!
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:22 pm

I fitted a set of Kumho Ectas 3 years ago and I've been very pleased with them. They only cost about £400 too. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:43 pm

Gotta love a 'tyre debate'. :D
Probably THE most common thread on EVERY car forum on the planet with just as many differing views.

As for the phrase 'ditch finders', that is ridiculous. No such thing sold in the UK.

I have probably said this before but I would really love to know how many accidents each year in the UK can 100% be attributed to cheap tyres. Not under-inflated or over inflated, or low tread level, etc. Just from being fitted with 'poor quality' tyres. I am betting it will be zero! :?

BTW Nexen (owned by Continental IIRC) make very good tyres too at very good prices!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:57 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:17 pm
coldel wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:43 pm To be honest, over the years, I have found out lots of things about cars, and that one thing I don't scrape a few quid off of is tyres. Tyres and brakes should always take your hard earned over engine mods, aesthetics etc. It is what keeps you on the road and stops you.

So when I look at tyres and see a set of four costing 600 or 800 pounds I take the 800 every time. Assuming there is a difference to be had in terms of how they perform. Owning a car worth thousands if not tens of thousands, why scrimp on a couple hundred quid.

There are always deals to be had out there, I bought and got fitted x4 Michelin PS4's for £440 in a deal on Blackcirlces doing money off Michelins when I had my E86 a couple years back.

Ultimately safety is generally all our priorities, and by paying a couple hundred quid more I can increase my odds of not hitting something should the need arise, then I pay that.
You could also improve your odds by spending £5k on brake upgrades, or by never exceeding 30mph, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Just by buying a Z4, you've already compromised safety in the pursuit of having something fun to drive. If safety was the number one priority we'd all be driving an Ora Funky Cat.

How much do your odds of having an accident actually decrease by using Michelin over Kumho? I'm guessing somewhere between not at all and very, very small fractions of a percent, if you're a normal driver in a normal car.
Absolutely this. The op said 'normal driving', not driving at 110%.

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:43 pm Gotta love a 'tyre debate'. :D
Probably THE most common thread on EVERY car forum on the planet with just as many differing views.

As for the phrase 'ditch finders', that is ridiculous. No such thing sold in the UK.

I have probably said this before but I would really love to know how many accidents each year in the UK can 100% be attributed to cheap tyres. Not under-inflated or over inflated, or low tread level, etc. Just from being fitted with 'poor quality' tyres. I am betting it will be zero! :?

BTW Nexen (owned by Continental IIRC) make very good tyres too at very good prices!
You love a tyre debate :wink:

For me a "ditch finder" is the 10 year old budget tyre that's cracked to hell, but left on because the thread is still 2mm. 4 different makes, with varying levels of inflation on each corner. I've bought a few cars like that, and it is pretty scary - but that is a few years ago now.

I cant find a link, but I saw a tyre review very recently comparing a budget tyre with UHP. The budget tyre was obviously not as good, but it was a lot closer than you'd think. The theory was that they use a much softer compound to get good grip from cheaper materials, and therefore the trade off is that they will wear really quickly.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 pm

The M40i came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, great tyre but took quite a while to heat up so first 10/15 minutes were arse clenching!

Replaced with Conti 7’s even better tyre but started life with 6.8mm and very quick wearing.

Replaced with Falken 520 UHP’s, half the price of the Michelin’s and £80 a rear cheaper than the Conti’s,

Wouldn’t put the Falkens back on the M40i, squirrelly as f**k would be the best way to describe them compared to the other two, chirping away when driving spiritedly, but I suppose the question in the thread was was normal driving……….., all of these tyres have been given a reasonable work out :tumbleweed: :rofl:

But would put the Falkens on my other cars

Not sure what will replace the Falkens, if I still have it by then :oops:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:43 pm

Call me a boring old f*rt but this is the first sensible tyre thread I have read for normal drivers like me, thank you all. I have written this in my note pad for future reference when I need it. :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 pm

Just realised I’m in the E89 area, would this tyre selection be suitable for an E85? As tram lining is a known problem with these cars :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:10 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 pm The M40i came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, great tyre but took quite a while to heat up so first 10/15 minutes were arse clenching!

Replaced with Conti 7’s even better tyre but started life with 6.8mm and very quick wearing.

Replaced with Falken 520 UHP’s, half the price of the Michelin’s and £80 a rear cheaper than the Conti’s,

Wouldn’t put the Falkens back on the M40i, squirrelly as f**k would be the best way to describe them compared to the other two, chirping away when driving spiritedly, but I suppose the question in the thread was was normal driving……….., all of these tyres have been given a reasonable work out :tumbleweed: :rofl:

But would put the Falkens on my other cars

Not sure what will replace the Falkens, if I still have it by then :oops:
    Just when I thought you had gone for good! Nice to see (read :wink: ) you again Andrew
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:15 am

tiglon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm I cant find a link, but I saw a tyre review very recently comparing a budget tyre with UHP.
    That's another nonsense IMO. Tyre reviews. The kind of tests they do to try and differentiate between tyres should never be relevant on normal roads unless you are stupid. "The 'Landyacht' took 3.5cm further than the Michelin MPS6SSSR to brake to a standstill at 350mph" type of rubbish!

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:37 am

Disagree - the tyre review sites have value so long as you interpret with your own values in mind.

Comparisons need to be considered based on whatever it is you care about - if you think your current tyres are shite in the wet, you can see how they stack up against others / similar good for noise & comfort.

So not a complete waste of time.

If you don't care about the top 1% of anything, I've found that most of the top 5 in any given category are pretty much interchangeable & the differences tiny.

But - standard fit bridgestone runflats tested bottom of all tryres ever tested.... if nothing else, it's a bit of fun!
    From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
    SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
    SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:53 am

Ditchfinders are definitely real.
    I had a set of really cheap tyres on an old car just to have something legal to run around locally and they were terrible.
    With a small stab of the accelerator peddle the front could be made to slide on demand going around roundabouts, spun far too easily on damp roads and gave you absolutely no confidence in bends particularly if the roads were wet.
    They also didnt seem to wear out.
    I never actually put the car in a ditch but it would have been easily done if not driven carefully.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)