Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Toyota Supra V8 build

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Toyota Supra V8 build

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks buddy.

Its been wicked fun. I am hopping to find myself with funds in 2017 to do similar to my car. Although its nice working on this as i dont get the bills!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 am

ImageSo hear you are forum friends the car in its final clothes. Still much work to be done!! But we have a little time this weekend so hopfully a nice update on Monday as well. Pictures as i know you all like them :thumbsup:
These pictures are of the car after its been baking a little while in the booth. It will get many many hours more wet sanding and polishing. We estimate its taken about 100 hours in body work alone to get to this point. And probably a similar amount of time todate on mechanical work.

I would think i have spent 50 hours making bits n bobs and there is probably another 100 + hours until its finished. So dont start a build like this unless you have the following
. no social life
.lots of time
.deep deep pockets

Been a hole heap of fun though :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am

Liking the colour, bet you can't wait for it to be finished
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 am

I am looking forward to that day yes!! It has to be ready by the 28th of February its booked in to run drift taxis at Santa pod.

The trouble is its making me want to build something of my own.... I just cant finance what i would like to do at the moment.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am

Looking good, great progress so far :)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 am

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I'm really enjoying this thread, car is starting to come alive with that colour coat - will look a lot better once you've filled those wheel arches with wider rubber :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks Marlon yeah the wheels look a bit sad in the arches dont they!! Wheels are another problem for Chris at the moment!! Still nice problem to have.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 am

So i had a bit of a lazy weekend. Only popped over the workshop for an hour or so. Chris had been busy wet sanding. But when i turned up we decided to test fit the engine and check the modified engine mounts. good news they now tit and locate perfectly. And i can machine them down another 20mm or so. So the engine will fit even lower when finished.

I think we will still have to put a bulge in the bonnet. As the plenum will be to high. Whats really good news and you can see in the pictures. the engine sits on and behind the front cross member.

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 am

Awesome Matt, awesome
Black and beautiful 3ltr auto for fun
Peugeot 508 SW for daily use
Stripped out E46 330ci for track days

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks Gregg our deadline of the 28th of February is looking less n less likely!!

We where hoping to buy an adapter plate for the gearbox-engine. But it looks like we have to cut a shut a toyota bell housing to a BMW gearbox now. Witch will be twitchy bum time for me calculating where to cut them both. And then cutting and welding them back together...

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 pm

never ventured to this section of the forum before and im glad i found this thread!!! LOVE Supras, that and R34 are my fav cars ever!!!

if you were closer i would happily come round and be tea boy just to watch the car being worked on, i bet you love being part of it and once finished it will be a nice achievement for you to sit backl and admire!! :D

great work the both of you!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks buddy

Yeah its great fun. Its getting a little more stressful now what with dead lines. And cutting and welding and frakinstining expressive parts together.

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 pm

The write up has been an excellent read.The fabrication work you have done looks top notch . :thumbsup:
Had you heard the engine running prior to removing it from the donor car ,if not it will be squeaky bum time when it comes to startup time.