Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PDC front and rear

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SwissTone

PDC front and rear

Post by SwissTone » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:15 pm

Keen on the Pilsner, I get the Country music too pretty sure if I lived the other side of the pond I’d listen to it more.

Btw another reason to move the other side is the space you get…that man cave is probably as big as my house lol

Enjoy the theropy :)
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

AnubisZed

PDC front and rear

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:23 am

SwissTone wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:15 pm Keen on the Pilsner, I get the Country music too pretty sure if I lived the other side of the pond I’d listen to it more.

Btw another reason to move the other side is the space you get…that man cave is probably as big as my house lol

Enjoy the theropy :)
Some very good reasons for living there indeed :thumbsup:
There's normally country music playing in my Z4. Would love a nice house over there, but would probably need a truck as well, but the question would have to be RAM 1500 or Ford F150? :rofl:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:05 pm

Depends on the model year... just don't buy them new. New prices for trucks are obscene!
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

simnew

PDC front and rear

Post by simnew » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:14 pm

Wow - how did you get the car up on those wooden structures ?

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:35 pm

"cribs". Just a few intermediary steps, but it's a cheap way to get the car up high safely for work. Essentially every level except the chocks on the front and back is screwed in upwards from the layer below.

Apply e-brake
-- Assemble 4 layers of wood, then set the front of the Zed on that, then raise the back 4 layers and set it on the cribs.
-- Return to the front, raise it, and set it on jack stands on the side points, pull out the cribs, and add the remaining layers.
-- Go as high as your jack supports. I have access to a taller jack that can be used after my low profile gets it off the ground.
-- Once its up and level, release and reapply the e-brake to remove the tension from torquing around the car on the cribs. (important)
-- Getting it back down is the same in reverse.

You should use decent Torx or Robertson screws that are easy to remove and won't cam-out. The screws cost more than the wood :o These are assembled with GRK 2-1/2" Torx screws. 14" x 19" and 15" tall, width is really only for extra stability.

I have 4 kids -- there's no way I'm leaving any of my cars on jackstands without me there -- so I use cribs for work that can't be completed in an evening -- using cribs is just cheaper than buying a lift and has a much higher WAF.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

simnew

PDC front and rear

Post by simnew » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:18 am

Wow - I was hoping to do this this summer but UK weather in July wasn’t great band I was away and August has followed a similar pattern so far. Hope I can get to it before winter comes. How did your install go ? I see you disassembled things even more than when Dave did it…. Maybe you did some other stuff as well… :)

Christopher72

PDC front and rear

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:59 pm

Here's some pictures of punching and installing the fronts... I think the outside ones I accidentally swapped, but it shouldnt matter since I dont have headlight washers. I used an 18.2mm punch which created nice relief in the cut - it is very snug. I used a razor blade or sanded the raised markers on the back of the bumper after the holes were punched to prevent them from setting the sensors back a half mm. The front mounts and wiring harness are OEM for the z4, so they included the cable management clips to attach to the bumper at appropriate locations.

Christopher