Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UPDATED::: Z4M S54 Engine Hesitation - POLL

"M" Specific discussion

Does your Z4M S54 suffer from the engine hesitation from idle?

Yes, and I'd like it fixed
35%
It did, but it's fixed
6%
Yes, but it doesn't bother me
5%
Yes, but it only happens once in a blue moon
15%
No, I've never had this happen
39%

Total votes: 258

Adam D

Re: UPDATED::: Z4M S54 Engine Hesitation - POLL

Post by Adam D » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:03 am

Update:

I have replaced the offending item and had a very brief test drive - the dead spot on the first inch of throttle travel has gone, its now immediate to rev up and feels very perky. 8) :evil: :thumbsup: :driving:

When the revs fall it no longer undershoots and its idling a little bit higher too - solid idle.

This has made is so much nicer to pull away without sputtering and bogging down.

Points to note:

The the technical instructions some the live electrical feed does not seem to fit to the plenum (unless its one of the main wires at the back which unhook without any fuss.

When you think everything has been undone and want to remove the air take box you will probably find a vent to the sump is still connected at the back underside of the airbox - now this won't come off the airbox like it suggests but instead get a helper to lift the box up and with a torch follow it down to the sump. Squeeze in the clip (similar to the retentions used on the breather pipes up top) and remove at the lower end - easy :)

My thottle butterflies were quite dirty and there was a hard residue along the lower edge of the butterfly. I cleaned them the best I could using a lint free cloth and a sturdy toothbrush and a can on Wynns carburettor cleaner. To open the butterflies and clean the back of them and inside where they shut pull the actuator rod down and then wedge a piece of wood near the top.

The airbox had quite a bit of oily residue inside, this was cleaned out with some cloths and petrol. The small breather hose to the sump had lots of black bits of gunk come out which couldnt have been helping things.

Since I didn't have the right tool to remove the fixings on the Idle Control Valve (ICV) pipework, I removed it and the other electrical valve its plumbed into and rinsed through with carb cleaner/petrol. A little dirt came out so I think it was worth doing. I had previously been squirting a lot of carb cleaner down the top hose so perhaps that had already cleaned it a bit.

When replacing the throttle actuator switch the screws seem a little soft so pick a good screwdriver and take your time. When replacing the new one remember to remove the green O ring as the new one comes with it already in the switch recess. Make sure the spindle is pushed home firmly. In comparision the switch that came off rotated much more loosely than the new part, it makes me wonder if the other similar switch on the front of the throttle bar could also be wearing. At 38k miles it may need preventative maintainance.

Removing/Installing the special airbox metal clips:

To remove the clips use chanel lock pliers in a wide setting and pinch the clip using the bits that stick up. You are looking to unhook the outer part of the band from the inner bit, it should ping open and hopefully wont fall down :)

[img]http://zo-d.com/stuff/images/channel-lo ... -s.jpg[img]

First prepare some choice swear words.... lightly grease the rubber pipes which will help seat the airbox on the engine over the lip (if you look inside there is a locating lip which you want to slip into place without snagging. I used a light smear of grease.

With the clips in the starting position (~1cm back from locked, the tab will rest in the notch and be loose on the rubber pipes) rotate the clip around until you can get a the pliers onto the clip and with firm and slow pressure, gently pinch together until the clip snaps into place. Its really easy with those pliars (needlenose ones didnt have the purchase or force to make it easy) however the 4th and 5th one from the front can be tricky, turning the pliars around helped as did accessing from the gap between the metal fuel rail.

I will try and take some photos of the spare clips I bought to show the removal and fastening pliar positions (never needed them but worth buying a few to play with beforehand).
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

RobertRO

Post by RobertRO » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 am

Adam, I am glad to hear that you decided to do it.
Some more feedback from me: until now I've driven about 1600 Km (1000 miles) since replacing the throttle actuator TPS, and everything is still fine.
-------
ex- E28 535i, 06/1986
ex- Z4 M Coupe, 09/2006
E32 730i M30, 03/1994

spareone3

Post by spareone3 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 am

Mine is still much, much improved. I get the odd slight hesitation from time-to-time, but nothing compared to previously. Completed around 300 miles since replacing.
2007 Z4M E85, Ruby Black, Champagne Nappa, Piano Black interior. 2016 530D MSport F10, Auto, Space Grey, Black Dakota, Piano Black.

Aliv6

Post by Aliv6 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Not sure i know exactly what i just voted for.

I get a slight hestitation if i put my foot to floor....But always considerer that typical of the engine. In any car if you open the taps wide open it will hesitate a little...
2007 Z4MC & 2004 Mk2 Clio V6

spareone3

Post by spareone3 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Aliv6 wrote:Not sure i know exactly what i just voted for.
I think you'd know if you had it.
2007 Z4M E85, Ruby Black, Champagne Nappa, Piano Black interior. 2016 530D MSport F10, Auto, Space Grey, Black Dakota, Piano Black.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Thought I would mention that its still perky :driving: , it has got me thinking that maybe the other sensor on the end of the throttle bar (front of the engine) may also be sub par. It looks very similar is design and surely has a similar amount of wear.

Would anyone advocate replacing that switch too?

Ad
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

bakes100

Post by bakes100 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:54 am

I replaced both just for piece of mind, if one has gone the other may not be far away, as they are both the same part.

Not a massive cost either
2006 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black
2007 BMW Z4M Coupe - Silver Grey - GONE

ChawenHalo

Post by ChawenHalo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 am

Never had a slow response throttle or any idle issues even with now 86k (km) on the clock.

However I do get get the ususal jerkyness especially if its not been used and it regularly stalls even with the clutch in at low speeds. Prob with the idle control i believe.
Z4MC. ACS CF diffuser silencers side skits. Pagid RS29 & Goodridge. Gruppe M Bilstein B16PSS10 H&R ARBS. Delage Sport chassis. MPS2. Audi A8 4.2TDI 2008 runabout.

bertman

Post by bertman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:20 pm

BMW replaced 2 x throttle position sensors today and cleaned my throttle bodies
So far so good! *fingers crossed*

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm

In a moment of weakness I ordered the front position sensor so that way I will have the piece of mind that they are both new.

Cooper bmw parts (website) are offering 10% off all parts at the moment :)

bertman

Post by bertman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:37 am

FYI The dealer mentioned the TPS are replaced as part of service 2

(Sent from my iPhone)

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

bertman wrote:FYI The dealer mentioned the TPS are replaced as part of service 2

(Sent from my iPhone)
Sounds a bit odd that considering they don't consider the Vanos oil filter to need replacing.

It's not on the list of things to do and in which case it wouldn't have been covered as then becomes a serviceable item (according to the mondial policy).

Hopefully the second switch arrives soon to see if further benefits are be had; with the main one on the throttle actuator replaced its so much better to drive and has fixed all the problems :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Replaced the front sensor on the throttle bar and the throttle is very smooth now but not a night and day change like when the switch on the throttle actuator was replaced (this one seems to cause the stumbling and idle issues).

:)

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:12 am

Sorry to bring this up again!

I've noticed in my car when rolling up to roundabouts in 2nd/3rd gear and the revs drop below 1000rpm when I gently roll on the throttle there's nothing then a kick up the arse, It's like the car doesn't know you've pressed the pedal so you press it a bit more and then it registers.

Does anyone elses do this?

I've also noticed it in gear as well but it's much more intermittent, 4th gear at a decent speed, lift off and accelerate again, 9/10 times it'll be smooth 1/10 times it'll jolt you?

Sorry if i'm being pedantic but i've got a BMW warranty to use up so if it needs something replacing i'll get it booked in! :)

Thanks all
IMOLA Z4///MR

abernethy

Post by abernethy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

After fitting the TPS's in light snow this afternoon, i can confirm they have solved the problem i was having. It feels a lot more "direct" and easier to pull away at roundabouts etc.

Not a difficult job, quite enjoyed it really!

Gave the old girl a wash also, even though the temp was -1... Nothing froze so think it exaggerates a bit!

So clean car, with no hesitation = happy!

Just need to get a new battery tomorrow, as its playing up in this colder weather and i will be back to a fault free car.... :thumbsup:

Great forum, great knowledge. Thanks everyone.
2010-2012 2004 Z4 3.0, sterling grey.

2012 - to date. 2006 Z4M, sepang bronze.........