Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

test drove the new car

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
pmeloche

Re: test drove the new car

Post by pmeloche » Sat May 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Jalopnik's recent test drive of an sDrive35i calls it a better performer than the Z4MC overall. :o
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat May 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Just had another go in a black one with the roof down this time.
35 engine, 7sp DCT 'box but no adaptive suspension.
I'd like to test a car with that trinity...

The engine really is nice with plenty of torque.
The gearbox is fun, would take some getting used to after so many years in manual cars but I think I'd order it.

The steering is definitely better, less twitchy than my car (I use the eagle f1 tyres).

As I mentioned before, the car is definitely softer than mine, it feels bigger and heavier (which it is) and more remote from the road than my car. I'd expect the adaptive suspension would make a healthy difference but it can't get rid of that weight... I'd definitely order it anyway.

On to the roof... It's technically really good, very good looking too. Takes up a painful amount of boot space and you have to completely stop to put it up or down, you also seem to have to be in the car to operate it, no remote control (need to confirm that though). Compared to the rag-top it's massively slow... No quick stop-light changes anymore... And you have to remember to keep the 'tray' in the boot in the right place. All this would be a pain for me as I really do drop the roof at the slightest provocation normally (unless Mum's in the car maybe).

Wind.... This car didn't have the deflector in place and there was a constant wind in the back of the head, far more than my car but I stopped noticing it when my right foot started playing.

Toys... The new sat nav and sound options are great... At £3k for the lot though, they should be.....!

As a side note, a friend recently bought a Cayman sport (limited edition) and as a driver's car, it was undoubtedly better handling. Far more direct feeling on the road. I'd imagine the latest boxster would be similar. Saying that though, these two cars are quite different animals anyway.

Summary, I really wish they'd kept the rag-top and made that new rear end a little less J-Lo fat...

I'd absolutely love this engine, 'box and adaptive suspension in my existing car...

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Sat May 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Owner's manual for 30i is now available on BMW NA website. :)
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Tis a shame BMW have gone down this track, as I really think the current Z4 is fantastic, but I just can't see myself going with the new one, it'd be like me having gone for an SLK this time, and I just know it's not the sports car I was after!

Of course I'd never buy this one new, but I think the only roadster sports car left that I'd even go for in future is the Porsche :(

Tis a shame, I really hope BMW do an NA 6 pot Z2 or something for me to get in four years time, otherwise it'll be a Boxster S (would have to be a 987 :) )

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Scott-Land

Post by Scott-Land » Sat May 09, 2009 11:00 pm

I had a go in the 35 today. Similar thoughts to alot of the points already mentioned. I posted this earlier about my test drive:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11155

Is anyone buying? The garage I was at today had taken a few orders.

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Sun May 10, 2009 1:11 am

I looked at an SLK and if I had wanted one, I woudn't have bought the Z4. Porsche is now owned by VW--hope they don't screw it up.

Guess I'll have to keep this one together with bailing wire and chewing gum and get a MX5 if I want a sporty little car. :(
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 am

It was quite telling that Sytner in Canary Wharf was offering back to back test drives in the Z4 and SLK for comparison. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that you can see what their target market is from that and I'm afraid it probably doesn't include me. After five years in a Z3 and now five years in a Z4, where next !?

As a side note, a car with a similar spec to my Z4 (but with the 35 engine) is pennies short of 50k.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Yeah, the Cayman S Sport a friend has is wonderful I have to admit....

I think Porsche are going to be the big winners from this new Z4...

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sun May 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Got the chance to drive the new Sdrive2.3 yesterday, and I have admit that having not really liked any of the photo's I have seen of the car I was pleasently surprised when I saw the car in the flesh, it is going to be very colour sensitive though this particular example was in Ruby Black, as has been stated it's not as big as you think, the boot is not brilliant (better than 3 series with the roof down) but I think you would get luggage for 2 in for with the roof down for a long weekend away somewhere, there is a space about 16" - 18" square along the length of the boot with roof cover in place, but the access to this space is useless.

The drive itself was only a few miles round Dumfries on a Saturday afternoon so no time or space to go mad, anyway the car was 2.3 with 206HP and the 6 speed Autobox with Paddles on the steering which seemed to work well (never used them before and the Wife never noticed when I was playing with them)
the ride is softer than the current car which personally I think will allow more people to actually drive the car harder than current version as suspension now absorbs some imperfections keeping the wheels in contact with the road giving you the confidence to press on as it's not getting thrown all over the road. We managed to dodge the rain showers and dive with the roof down again I think it offers more protection then current car as the windows go further back along the side of the car (now 4 windows not 2) rear visiblity with the roof is vastly improved thanks to these extra windows, I don't think it offers quite as much legroom as the old car but enough (I'm 6' 3"). The is shelf running the width of car behind the seats with a storage net to keep things in place, the centre console is higher than current car with the arm rest being well padded and useful this time round, the side of car is a couple of inches higher than currently which makes you feel a little bit more cocooned than before, the steering had a heavier feel than my car, things like the radio were not as intergrated into the dash as old car and should allow easier changing of the HU if you want to.

It is not hardcore roadster like he old car but I think more people will get more out it, I have to confess to being quite anti the new car and it's metal roof, but after driving it yesterday I would seriously consider getting one in a couple of years time which is when I plan to change, and I had been considering getting as late a model of the current car as possible at that time. :thumbsup:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun May 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Had a quick look at one down my local dealers and going to take it out next weekend thay have an auto 23, roof is my biggest turn off as it renders the boot useless IMO.

I prefer the interior but only if the dash is in leather as per all brochure shots, the one my dealer has was aluminium plastic same as round the heater controls which looked cheap and awfull, but to be fair that was one of the reasons I changed by brushed aluminium to black carbon leather.

I was concerend about the electric hand brake but was advised you take off manually which is good, as I was worried it would be like on a VW Passat which disengages itself and is a sod.

Inuit

Post by Inuit » Mon May 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Went to see it today - did not test drive it, but had a sit and play with the roof etc.

The one is was in was the top spec model and with all the toys, including upgraded wheels etc it was £44k.

It is definetly much better in the flesh, love the front end, not sure about the back. I love the looks of the Z4 Coupe, but i am a roadster fan, so this is the best of both worlds. It is definetly better than the SLK, i had an old Slk and that was fun, but the new ones just too soft. Loved the inside and all the toys, but i would need to spend money to get what i have in my current M.

It feels much larger, more like a tt inside, the new sat nav screen is great, but they quoted me £1900 for that. :o Great boot space until the roof goes down and has a stupid contraption that has to be in place prior to the roof going down, just like the SLK.

There was a string of people wanting to look at it and they had already taken several orders. Very limited discounts offered and only if you where buying all the bells and whistles.

The colour choice is naff, even the special colours are limited. Why can Audi offers 30 odd colours including 5 purple shades and BMW cannot offer anything particulary special.

Will i buy one, not at the minute, for £40k odd think i could spend it more wisely and do not think it will be as fun as my current car. In a few years might consider one when i can pick one up a few years old.
Image 56 Imola Red Z4M Roadster