Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID not levelling correctly?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sixspeed

HID not levelling correctly?

Post by sixspeed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:44 am

My passenger HID seems to be pointing rather low all of a sudden. Suddenly noticed it at the weekend, but not sure how long it's been like this.

I've got it booked into the dealer, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this? I know the headlights have some adjustment on them (despite being "auto-levelling") but I tried moving the adjuster to the limit and it's still pointing low compared to the drivers side. My guess is one of the motors, or the HID auto-levelling system is a little screwy on this side, but we'll see what BMW say...

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HID not levelling correctly?

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:01 am

Not seen this before... does it raise up at all when you first switch them on, just not high enough? I know the passenger side is a little different but I don't think it's supposed to be lower. When's it going into the dealer? If it's a while, post a pic and maybe someone has some insight.

Moving this to "problems" forum (will leave shadow topic in here though)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Well it went in at lunchtime, whilst i waited - and it's a new headlight assembly apparently, as the adjuster/leveller has failed?

No big deal since it's under warranty, although I had stone-guard film applied to my headlights when I got the car, and they have said they can't replace this which is slightly annoying. I guess if I caused a fuss they might, but it was only abuot £30 so I'll just have to get it booked in to have it done again when the new light is fitted.

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:31 am

FWIW...I recall reading about someone else having a similar issue.....

BMW replaced the HL unit, but the problem came right back.
It turned out to be a shorting problem in the harness coming from the HL.
Apparently water was finding it's way in from the wheel well.