Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

European Road Trip (Alps + Nurburgring!)

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
polak

European Road Trip (Alps + Nurburgring!)

Post by polak » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi everyone,

So I made it back very recently from a 2,800 mile european road trip. We had an excellent time, 3 cars (E36 M3, 997 C2S and my 3.0si Coupe).

Route was London, Brugge, Reims, Strausbourg, Geneva, Turin, Como, (via Davos, Stelvio etc) Munich, Nurburgring, Koln, Brussels and back home!

Did not take a single toll road - best roads we found where at the start of the french alps - empty, smooth, twisty. We where also very lucky as the alpine passes had just started opening so we had stelvio completely to ourselves, amongst others! Prior to leaving, I had a basic brake upgrade done - new discs, Ferodo pads, 5.1 brake fluid. It was essential and an excellent choice as the brakes where amazing and never really faded even after some serious driving.

The Z4 came alive on the twisties, was more than a match for the stock E36 (seemed to hold its own in the corners particularly better) and the 911 could not shake me (although, that was more down to the driver than the car ;) ). Hit the 155mph limiter many times on the autobahns. My pads are rather squeeky now... and I will treat the car to an oil change in the next few weeks :) Had one incident where my windscreen was hit by a stone, and a one foot long crack develop within the hour, so autoglass Italy changed it in Turin.

Saw a fantastic amount of machinery at the ring, including a couple of Z4 Coupes (sixpeed amongst them) and a new grey Z4. Never been to the 'ring before, but all I can say is.. its certainly not going to be my last visit!

Hope you enjoy these photos - let me know if you want to see more!

Start of good roads in France

Parked up next to a completely empty road near to an airstrip, was like a private race track!

Peering out over lake geneva

Start of the climb into the French mountains

One of the few closed alpine passes meant we had several miles of twisty completely empty road to play on!

Posing at the top of San Bernado

End of the road

Spectacular

You can never have enough hairpins!

At the nurburgring

Me on the ring!

Cheers!
'07 Montego Blue 3.0si Coupe, Manual, Sat Nav & all the other options! Brilliant fun :-)

Superbow

Re: European Road Trip (Alps + Nurburgring!)

Post by Superbow » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 am

Sounds and looks like a fantasic trip :driving:
Z4 'It looks a lot like nothing else'

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:38 am

Looks a fine time 8) . Would love to do a trip there some time.
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 am

Sure looks like fun!!!!!!

My coupe loves the twisties, too. I could almost hear her say "finally!" :driving:
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

IK.

Post by IK. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:05 am

Fantastic photos! Do you have any more?
Currently car-less!
Previous: Z4 3.0si Coupe & Z4M Roadster
Plus a few others!

Tref

Post by Tref » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:38 am

So cool! I'm heading down that way in a few weeks (several trips including to SE Germany/Austria and the compulsory stopover in Adenau for the'ring.

I just love Montego Blue. Wish it was a colour choice on the earlier model Z4.
Come to Daddy: 2004 TVR T350 Targa
Current stable: 2006 Golf GTi, 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera

Fidgits

Post by Fidgits » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 am

I'm doing a similar trip in about a month - i would love some more info on the routes you took and the hotels you stayed in..

(yes yes, im leaving it all to the last minute!)

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:35 am

Great pictures and looks like you had an awesome time :thumbsup:

AJZ4London

Post by AJZ4London » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:39 am

Fantastic pics! Heading to the Alps in a couple of months and cannot wait.

Do love the coupe but imagine those Alpine roads with nothing but blue sky above you...but that's another topic! :rofl:
3.0i 54plate, Black Sapphire, Black Leather, Prof SatNav, 18" Ellipsoids.

polak

Post by polak » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks all, I have loads more photos - I'll post up a few more of the interesting ones this weekend, perhaps some more from the 'ring.
Do love the coupe but imagine those Alpine roads with nothing but blue sky above you...but that's another topic! :rofl:
I did have my moments of wishing I could put the top down! But I probably would have burnt to a crisp, as it hit 34C at one point (not bad for May). One thing I noticed about the Europeans is that there are relatively few convertibles... its actually too sunny most of the time ;) The aircon in my friends E36 broke about mid way through the journey... and no amount of window open driving at speed action gave the same satisfying feeling as windows up, aircon on.

I was going to change all 4 tyres to Falkens before I left, but I had about 5mm so I thought I'd give the runflats a good sending out. On the smoother mountain roads they were really good, but I did get shaken to bits in places - once they and the brakes warmed up (hard compound pads) it really came alive, DTC off, I quite frequently made my passenger sick.

The Z4 got a lot of looks, thumbs up, and generally a lot of attention! (The red tint on my alloys on the last ring picture is actually all brake dust ;-) )
'07 Montego Blue 3.0si Coupe, Manual, Sat Nav & all the other options! Brilliant fun :-)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am

Great pics and looks a lot of fun :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Tref

Post by Tref » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Crikey, all these Z4s heading for the Alps - we'll have to make sure we stop and say hi if we see another Z4 on our various travels! Or how about a forum meet in Switzerland? :lol:

I've just replaced my front brakes with standard discs and pads as the originals were shot. I'm a bit worried whether they'll be fading on me now. Which pads do Z4 peeps recommend? I hate EBC greens so don't even mention them.

My TVR was a bit lighter (not that much actually - the Z4 is a light car), and had Ferodo DS2500s on the front which stopped it fading on the track - no problems on the Stelvio 2 up with luggage either.
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera

polak

Post by polak » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm running DS2500s and find them a great compound pad, apart from the odd squeekiness, no fade, also with 2 up + luggage (btw, the coupe can carry a surprising amount of luggage!).

I did see one other uk grey Z4 roadster, top down, heading up the stelvio into Italy as we where coming down it (the only car we passed on the whole pass). Gave it a wave but couldnt really take my hands off the wheel and passed them very quickly ;-)

Tref

Post by Tref » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:36 pm

polak wrote:I'm running DS2500s and find them a great compound pad, apart from the odd squeekiness, no fade, also with 2 up + luggage (btw, the coupe can carry a surprising amount of luggage!).

I did see one other uk grey Z4 roadster, top down, heading up the stelvio into Italy as we where coming down it (the only car we passed on the whole pass). Gave it a wave but couldnt really take my hands off the wheel and passed them very quickly ;-)
Biggest problem I found on the Stelvio (or most passes - esp in France) was cyclists! Complete nutters cycling UP these passes. Why can't they just go and beat themselves with birches in a dark corner or some other less painful excercise!?!

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Loving the pics.

More please :D
10 M3 V8
07 M Roadster, Imola Red, Fully Loaded. SOLD
A Road Trip must contain - a visit to another country, an overnight stay, at least 500 miles.
It's not what you drive, it's where you've driven it that counts!