Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
561design

New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta

Post by 561design » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Anyone up for this? I've heard it on the news and I'd really like to try it out to see if it's as authentic as they claim. It could turn out to be a good GTG for the Atlanta Chapter of Z4-forum. If anything, there's always good beer on site.
Every first Sunday of the month, deep in the heart of Decatur, there’s a special gathering of kindred spirits. For some, it’s to relish a past-time that gives them an authentic taste of home; for others it’s to experience what they’ve been missing. These loyal souls are participating in the monthly “meating” of the New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta, where real New York corned beef is served hot from the pot, hand sliced, smeared with deli mustard and piled high on rye bread.

Army veteran, Freudian psychoanalyst, multimedia artist Howard Wurtzel — now corned beef guru — is the mastermind behind this taste bud titillating phenomenon at Twain’s Billiards & Tap. For most of his adult life, Wurtzel has pursued the perfect corned beef sandwich, like the sandwiches he got from Katz Deli as kid growing up in Brooklyn. Every Sunday, Wurtzel and his father took the trolley to Manhattan’s Lower East Side to Katz’s Deli for the corned beef.

When life took him across the country, he was in search of that feeling of nostalgia he’d get when eating corned beef from Katz. Every sandwich he tasted paled in comparison to the ones found at Katz Deli. He had no other choice but to cook his own. With the help of his wife Ettie, they found the perfect recipe. After years of indulging in the delectable dish privately, Wurtzel and some fellow New York transplants decided to share their love of corned beef with the public… and that’s when the New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta was formed.

The New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta meets on the first Sunday of each month at 4:00 pm, at Twain’s Billiards & Tap. You don’t have to be a native New Yorker to join the club. Everyone’s welcome… Just bring a hearty appetite for corned beef and pastrami cooked and served New York deli-style.

http://www.nycbsa.com/events.html
Charles
flickr

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New York Corned Beef Society of Atlanta

Post by ovrkll » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Sounds delicious to me! I agree, it may make a good GTG, maybe plan for next month? :idunno:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:12 am

On a side note, F-n-I and I have talked about doing a day run in the fall to see the changing of the leaves. Probably limited to North Georgia/South Tennesee, since it is only a day trip, but any and all suggestions are welcome.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

icarus

Post by icarus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:21 am

Isn’t it remarkable how treasured child hood memories can drive adult passions particularly those shared between father and son. You must go and post some pictures of the location as well.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:31 am

icarus wrote:Isn’t it remarkable how treasured child hood memories can drive adult passions particularly those shared between father and son. You must go and post some pictures of the location as well.
I connected with a bail bondsman in that way. It brings tears of joy to my eyes everytime I think about him.

icarus

Post by icarus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Mine is the freedom of a shiny red cycle on which I escaped the city with my father as we cycled through the countryside together on a Sunday morning. I have the same sense of freedom in driving the Z today.

Apologies for going off topic

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:45 pm

icarus wrote: Apologies for going off topic
Since we are temporarily OT, what is your avatar a photo of?

icarus

Post by icarus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm

20ducks wrote:
icarus wrote: Apologies for going off topic
Since we are temporarily OT, what is your avatar a photo of?
I'm looking at Monet's panorama of Water Lillies in the Orangerie next to the Louvre Paris. Another childhood passion. It would be great to visit MOMA, is that near you?

561design

Post by 561design » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:31 pm

I miss MOMA and the MET. Both are in NYC.
Charles
flickr

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:21 am

561, so what do you think about a Fall drive? I might could do one of those Decatur runs also!
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

561design

Post by 561design » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:24 am

After the success of the crab run. I won't be planning anything for awhile. I do get some routes from the local Alpha Romeo club that I'll post up though.
Charles
flickr

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:02 pm

mmm yes, your crab run...I just think it was planned so close to HC and with it being so damn hot! Well, I want to do a Fall Run, so maybe ovrkll and me will plan one. Whoever can come, that'd be great. My schedule is just so crazy, I may make it, I may not...all depends. Well, we'll keep in touch about it, tell your wife I said Hi!!
T.
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

561design

Post by 561design » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 pm

I'll be sure to do that. I posted up some routes and ideas in another thread.
Charles
flickr