Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New turbo

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Pooltee wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 am Be sure you get to the bottom of why the original turbo failed first before throwing a new one at the car. Components such as a turbo do not often just fail, they are normally the victim of another failure elsewhere.

If not investigated properly you could find yourself back with another failed turbo after 10 days.

I have worked closely with the motor trade previously, and one area I spent a lot of time working on was failed turbos, especially that of the 1.6 dv6Peugeot engine, found in just about everything nowadays. The turbo was never the issue, it was always down to oil supply or lack of it typically.

The problem with a low mileage car is items that are design to be well lubricated or rotated don’t get the use they need. Seals can perish or go brittle, oil quality can deteriorate rapidly if not getting up to full operating temps etc.

There is lots more going in here than just a failed turbo. The fact that you have w noticeable whine says to me it’s an oil problem and the bearings have failed. Either way the turbo will need a rebuild or replacement, but you need to find what caused this failure first otherwise it’s going to be an even more expensive road to recovery.
Thanks for that , im having a service done at the same time as its due now .
What exactly should they check when they fit the new turbo ? Surely.they will know to do this tho yeah?

Pooltee

New turbo

Post by Pooltee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Any good mechanic will know what to look for, but it may be worth having an oil flow rate test done before the turbo comes off. This is a basic, if not a bit of a fiddly test to see how much oil passes through the turbo at a given rpm.

This test will highlight any restrictions or issues with the oil flow to the turbo. The garage should be able to obtain the relevant data for the measurements.

I will be surprised if nothing else is found, to explain why the turbo failed. I personally don’t feel that it is a result of your remap, but as others have said because you had it applied so soon after ownership it is difficult to say for certain.

How does the service history look for the car? Have the services been carried out at reputable garages? Do any of the invoices detail the grade of oil that was used, give any indication as to the quantity of oil replaced etc?

Does anything else seem abnormal with the engine or was it all running well prior to the turbo developing a whine?

It would be interesting to see the quality of the oil that comes out of the engine along with its condition. Given the mileage of the car, and the fact it has seen previous serving, I would expect the oil to still look fairly fresh.

All being said there is a very slim chance that you had a turbo with an underlying fault from day one, but given the technicals of a turbo and the QC that is involved with them this is very unlikely.
2013 Z4 20i sDrive.

Remapped, and currently “interior” rattle free.

Early midlife crises and so far loving every minute of it!

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Pooltee wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm Any good mechanic will know what to look for, but it may be worth having an oil flow rate test done before the turbo comes off. This is a basic, if not a bit of a fiddly test to see how much oil passes through the turbo at a given rpm.

This test will highlight any restrictions or issues with the oil flow to the turbo. The garage should be able to obtain the relevant data for the measurements.

I will be surprised if nothing else is found, to explain why the turbo failed. I personally don’t feel that it is a result of your remap, but as others have said because you had it applied so soon after ownership it is difficult to say for certain.

How does the service history look for the car? Have the services been carried out at reputable garages? Do any of the invoices detail the grade of oil that was used, give any indication as to the quantity of oil replaced etc?

Does anything else seem abnormal with the engine or was it all running well prior to the turbo developing a whine?

It would be interesting to see the quality of the oil that comes out of the engine along with its condition. Given the mileage of the car, and the fact it has seen previous serving, I would expect the oil to still look fairly fresh.

All being said there is a very slim chance that you had a turbo with an underlying fault from day one, but given the technicals of a turbo and the QC that is involved with them this is very unlikely.
Bmw were happy with what was used previously in previous services , and the car was perfectly fine before the remap was done .
Surely I’ll get warranty with the newly fitted turbo , but yes I’ll make sure everything is checked to make sure this doesn’t occur again :oops:

Pooltee

New turbo

Post by Pooltee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm

You will indeed get a warranty with your new turbo, however it will most definitely not be w no quibble one, and if the turbo was to fail again within the warranty period, it would be subject to a manufactures inspection before any decision is granted. This will leave you in one of two positions.

1) leave the car dismantled with the garage until a decision has been made.

2) purchase another new turbo and hope the manufacture accepts liability.

I can 100% tell you this much though. Manufactures very rarely accept warranty claims on a component such as a turbo, as there is 99% of the time an underlying issue that causes the failure.

If you find yourself in this position again then that said issue has not been found, and no end of turbos will fix your car until that fault has been rectified.

I will keep everything crossed that yours is an easy fix and you can get on with enjoying ownership of the car.
2013 Z4 20i sDrive.

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Pooltee wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm You will indeed get a warranty with your new turbo, however it will most definitely not be w no quibble one, and if the turbo was to fail again within the warranty period, it would be subject to a manufactures inspection before any decision is granted. This will leave you in one of two positions.

1) leave the car dismantled with the garage until a decision has been made.

2) purchase another new turbo and hope the manufacture accepts liability.

I can 100% tell you this much though. Manufactures very rarely accept warranty claims on a component such as a turbo, as there is 99% of the time an underlying issue that causes the failure.

If you find yourself in this position again then that said issue has not been found, and no end of turbos will fix your car until that fault has been rectified.

I will keep everything crossed that yours is an easy fix and you can get on with enjoying ownership of the car.
Thanks for the advice 😉

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:09 am

Breaking news !!!!

Remap company has decided to pay for my new turbo after receiving 2 diagnostics .

:D :D :D :D :D

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

New turbo

Post by jabber » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:40 am

Great result :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New turbo

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 am

HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pooltee

New turbo

Post by Pooltee » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 am

2013 Z4 20i sDrive.

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:20 pm

:rofl: I know !!!

R60BBA

New turbo

Post by R60BBA » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:38 am

xenomorph1 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:09 am Breaking news !!!!

Remap company has decided to pay for my new turbo after receiving 2 diagnostics .

:D :D :D :D :D
So go on then, who are they?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

New turbo

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am

Pleasantly surprised they’re coughing up for this.I thought you had little to no chance of them covering it.

Good customer service IMO

I was curious about this from the start but didn’t want to ask until you got a resolution but out of interest did they get you to sign a disclaimer on not being responsible for other parts failures after the remap or do the actually offer some type of warranty on associated parts?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

xenomorph1

New turbo

Post by xenomorph1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am Pleasantly surprised they’re coughing up for this.I thought you had little to no chance of them covering it.

I was curious about this from the start but didn’t want to ask until you got a resolution but out of interest did they get you to sign a disclaimer on not being responsible for other parts failures after the remap or do the actually offer some type of warranty on associated parts?
    No mate, nothing at all to sign . They obviously don't want any bad publicity , so decided it was best to just get it sorted .
    Fair play to them , they obviously get people trying it on a lot , thats why they asked for 2 diagnostics, which I gave them . I just so relieved its getting sorted .

I dont really want to name them now as they have come through , it wouldn't be fair tbh 🤔

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

New turbo

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:10 pm

xenomorph1 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:33 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 am Pleasantly surprised they’re coughing up for this.I thought you had little to no chance of them covering it.

No mate, nothing at all to sign . They obviously don't want any bad publicity , so decided it was best to just get it sorted .
    Fair play to them , they obviously get people trying it on a lot , thats why they asked for 2 diagnostics, which I gave them . I just so relieved its getting sorted .

I dont really want to name them now as they have come through , it wouldn't be fair tbh 🤔
    On the contrary, I'd say it shows them in a good light being they came through and provided a solution for you, this is not a name and shame its giving members a bit of a choice knowing if there's issues they would come through for the customer provided they had the correct evidence :thumbsup:
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mcbutler

New turbo

Post by mcbutler » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:12 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:10 pm
    xenomorph1 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:33 pm

On the contrary, I'd say it shows them in a good light being they came through and provided a solution for you, this is not a name and shame its giving members a bit of a choice knowing if there's issues they would come through for the customer provided they had the correct evidence :thumbsup:
    Yep we need to know who the remap guy is, i am surprised they managed to overboost you because 'apparently' all remaps are the same............ According to some people anyways... :poke:
    Mark
    Plymouth
    E89
    35i
    Carmine Red
    Black leather