Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New iPhone, best solution for link to Z4

Mr Whippy

New iPhone, best solution for link to Z4

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:29 pm

I have just got a nice iPhone 3Gs, and want to listen to music in my 2004 Z4. It has standard hifi, no nav.

I have seen aux-in kits, but then I need to navigate using my iPhone still. Are there any kits that allow the head unit to interface with the iPhone (on non-nav setups?)

There seems to be loads of options out there... ie, this:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW380 ... NjkxNzI4Mg

seems to be quite handy, charging and having aux link off the phone, and a cradle, and works kinda like a hands free setup, but I doubt my head unit will interface with the iPhone through it which would be nice with MFSW to have that feature. But then again the hands free etc would be handy too.

I am a total novice with all this link up stuff etc, but I know there is probably a great solution out there that looks nice and does a good job :)

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New iPhone, best solution for link to Z4

Post by Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:03 am

intravee ii is absolutely wicked, i bought a classic 120gb for this purpose, but we plugged an iphone 3g in, and it didnt work.. can anyone confirm ?
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 am

It ultimately depends upon what you what to achieve, plus the look you are after, OEM Headunit as opposed to aftermarket, there are kits out there by the likes of Alpine which will give you control of the Iphone through the HU and MFSW(I have a lead at home to try, I'm just not to there to try it at the moment) and when installed with another box of tricks will also give you handsfree.
You just have to decide whether you want to remain as stock as possible or to modify.
Not much of an answer, but you have to decide on the route you want to take first.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:50 am

There are three main solutions

Intravee
Dension Ice-Link/Gateway
Dice.

PVR will be along soon with his salesman hat on no doubt. :evil:

Dension Ice-Link is a good solution for non nav though will display ID3 tags and navigate using steering wheel controls etc....

Tref

Post by Tref » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am

The Parrot MKi9100/9200 kits work well. You can plug in/charge the iPhone and control it through the Parrot remote control/display. Works with my iPhone 3G running firmware 3.0 (after I updated the Parrot firmware - simple task).
Come to Daddy: 2004 TVR T350 Targa
Current stable: 2006 Golf GTi, 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 am

Ideally I'd like to keep it all OEM and very fuss free if possible.

The Dension kit sounds really good for what I want, just doing the iPhone music interface really nicely. But no telephone aids at all. Not that I use the phone much at all when driving, so it's not a priority to have, but I'd rather have it nice and discrete if I do have it.

Hmmm, a few good options for me to read into there then :) Many thanks so far!

Dave

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Intravee is absolutely brilliant, I have to say. But.. *does* it work with the Iphone?

My gf's didnt charge when I plugged it in.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 pm

The DICE website doesn't say it supports the iPhone either... hmmmm...

Dave

Hindy500

Post by Hindy500 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 am

The 3G/3GS will work with the intravee but won't charge. If you want charging you can buy a charge convertor that clips in between the phone and cable.

I have the Intravee II with Pro Nav. It works ok but is a bit slow and can be buggy. Frankly, no one in the world makes a better interface than apple, least of all Intravee/BMW. I'm currently looking to get rid of the intravee, mount the iphone somewhere convenient with a single cable carrying charging and line out via the dock connector, controling all through the phone.
Z4MC Sapphire Black, Black leather, Carbon dash, Cruise, Nav. Retrofits: F10 M5 knob, Bluemusic, Useless cupholders.
Ford Mustang Mach-E, LR
Previous:
07 Z4C Grey
03 Z4R 3.0 Grey
99 Mini Cooper

willowZ4C

Post by willowZ4C » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 am

Hi,

Has anyone tried using the intravee with their iphone operating in airplane mode, this turns it into a normal ipod ?. I have a bose sound dock at home and unless its in airplane mode it wont charge from the dock's power supply.

Hope this helps

Cheers

TH3R4POR

Post by TH3R4POR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:34 pm

bare in mind using an Intravee on a LCD Business CD display is very different to using it on a Nav Screen, it's a pain in the arse quite frankly, and very difficult to navigate (you'll need to create play lists, and just sue them).

The charge connection changed from a standard iPod to iPhone, you can buy crossovers adapters on ebay to allow the charging of an iPhone on an iPod dock. The airplane mode does not change this, the airplane mode allows you to play music on an iPod dock but not charge (it states to cuts down interference, but you obviously can't make/receive calls when in airplane mode), this is the case with the Intravee which will not charge an iPhone out of the box.
willowZ4C wrote:this turns it into a normal ipod ?
In the respect it prevents it from making/receiving calls, nothing else.

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Intravee is not worth it if you don't have the nav, sold mine because of it. has any one heard of groumaudio. Says it charges the iphone as well.
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:24 pm

I got a Kensington liquidaux. Cheap, charges the phone and has a wireless remote. At some point i may look at hard wiring it in... If I can be arsed!
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

Siftah

Post by Siftah » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Andy wrote:Intravee is absolutely brilliant, I have to say. But.. *does* it work with the Iphone?

My gf's didnt charge when I plugged it in.
Intravee works with the iPhone 3GS, but it will not charge it.

You can make a cable which will cause it to charge, but it'd require hacking into the provided cable or acquiring a couple of extra connectors (female and male)

alfamale

Post by alfamale » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

I have a cheap solution that i have just done
i cant stand lots of wires so needed something that looked clean, i have the standard cd radio so the information displayed is less than usefull
my solution was to use the display on the phone/ ipod but with the 30 pin connector for audio out and charging

installed the usb power as shown on this forum
tapped into the three wires going to the aux in socket and wired another 3.5mm jack socket under the dash
purchased one of the ipod leads that has usb for charging and 3.5 for audio, all the plug connections are behind the panel under the radio just one wire to plug in and it works fine
i use a magnet holder on the dash so i can see the display through the steering wheel and control the ipod by hand as the controls are just behind the indicators
its a gen 3 nano so not much bigger than a book of matches its almost un noticable with a black silicone case and black lead against the carbon effect leather trim
im a 1000 miles away from the car so dont ask for photo's just now
"it is very hard, it is very fast, it is very unforgiving, and it is ruddy marvellous. This is M at its very best" TOP GEAR