Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heat issues and slow oil temp.

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Hiya ladies and gents

So been having a few little issues with my 23i.

I noticed my heaters was not putting out much heat at all. Checked my coolant and that was low, have since topped up and now they do seem to be getting warmer. But not as hot as I remember. If I turn off auto mode and put the fans to max they hardly seem to be working. If I set it to cold and on max I can hear the fans really kick in. Any suggestions? I did get the 415 battery warning could a dying battery be causing this?

Also over the last week have noticed my oil temp gauge hardly moves, after cars been idle for around 15 mins and then a drive to my local tesco which is about 7 miles away its barley moved up to 80 on the needle?

Cheers leigh

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Sounds like a thermostat failing open to me.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:19 pm

weeman88 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:09 pm Hiya ladies and gents

I noticed my heaters was not putting out much heat at all. Checked my coolant and that was low, have since topped up and now they do seem to be getting warmer. But not as hot as I remember. If I turn off auto mode and put the fans to max they hardly seem to be working. If I set it to cold and on max I can hear the fans really kick in. Any suggestions? I did get the 415 battery warning could a dying battery be causing this?

Also over the last week have noticed my oil temp gauge hardly moves, after cars been idle for around 15 mins and then a drive to my local tesco which is about 7 miles away its barley moved up to 80 on the needle?

Cheers leigh
Sitting idling for 15mins us a bad way to warm the car up as it’s under no load, much better to start it & drive away.
I’ve got a different engine (2l turbo) but that would also take that sort of distance to reach normal temp, oil warms up much more slowly than coolant.
What’s the wheel set to between the 2 centre dash vents?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Cheers leigh
Sitting idling for 15mins us a bad way to warm the car up as it’s under no load, much better to start it & drive away.
I’ve got a different engine (2l turbo) but that would also take that sort of distance to reach normal temp, oil warms up much more slowly than coolant.
Rob
It's set to center buddy

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:44 pm

weeman88 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:40 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Cheers leigh
Rob
It's set to center buddy
If you’re after hot air then you need it set to “hot” not centre, that’s probably the issue.
FBF32EA7-96FB-4D3E-BE1C-0E1F018B4BB8.jpeg
FBF32EA7-96FB-4D3E-BE1C-0E1F018B4BB8.jpeg (155.85 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:54 pm

Cheers Rob will give it a go, never even noticed it was there until I started to look into this issue.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:50 pm

5 to 7 miles at light throttle ( as it should be) isn’t long enough to get the oil temp to normal - especially when ambient temp is 5°C
The centre red /blue setting as advised earlier is the most probable cool air - instructions in the book are a bit vague.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm

So have done a few water pump bleeds now, the air is slightly warmer but not what I'd call hot, so maybe stuck open thermostat? Maybe with it stuck open is also causing the oil not to warm up as even on a 13 mile trips to my mates the oil gauge is not moving at all.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:01 pm

weeman88 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm So have done a few water pump bleeds now, the air is slightly warmer but not what I'd call hot, so maybe stuck open thermostat? Maybe with it stuck open is also causing the oil not to warm up as even on a 13 mile trips to my mates the oil gauge is not moving at all.
I thought the oil temp was reaching 80 after a 7mile drive? It’s sounds like it’s changed :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Oil temp of 80°C @ 7 miles seems about right to me.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:01 pm
weeman88 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm So have done a few water pump bleeds now, the air is slightly warmer but not what I'd call hot, so maybe stuck open thermostat? Maybe with it stuck open is also causing the oil not to warm up as even on a 13 mile trips to my mates the oil gauge is not moving at all.
I thought the oil temp was reaching 80 after a 7mile drive? It’s sounds like it’s changed :?
Rob
It did on the first time I checked after I noticed. But on my drive to a freinds last night did not move at all.

weeman88

Post by weeman88 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Been doing a little more investigating on this today found my obd Bluetooth connector. So with this and the torque app I watched the coolant temps.
With heating on my car struggled to get past 60c and oil temp on the dash hardly moved, soon as I turned heating off and went for a little drive. The coolant tempt went up to just below 80c and the oil temp on the dash got to around the 90c mark.

Soon after turning the heating back on the coolant temp started to drop again and so did my oil temp on the dash.

So am I right in thinking this is probably a stuck open thermostat?

Checked for fault codes thought torque and didn't get any back.

Cheers leigh.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 pm

I'd be more concerned about your lost coolant in the first place chum, how much did you lose/where did it go??
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather