Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Decisions Decisions 3.0 or 4.0

Discussing the current generation Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 am

ronk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:45 pm Resurrected today by a new member - but if you have a question then why not?
But I was commenting on the original post. :)
How time flies! :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:10 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 am
ronk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:45 pm Resurrected today by a new member - but if you have a question then why not?
But I was commenting on the original post. :)
How time flies! :roll:
I hate to tell you. - but as you get older the time goes even quicker!
So don’t waste any of it - buy your toys and enjoy :

(Where’s that G29 brochure I put away?)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

WindyHead

Post by WindyHead » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:22 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 pm WindyHead, I came to my 30i from much the same viewpoint as yourself. Even though I came from a 718 Boxster I knew I didn’t want the M40i as quite simply I didn’t need the extra power. Have never regretted it.
Hi Scu, can you advise more on how you've found the 3.0i c.f. the 718? This would make for a nice real world comparison I should think. Thanks.
Windy.

WindyHead

Post by WindyHead » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:31 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:49 pm He explains why an in-line 6 is so smooth
Thanks Ronk. For sure the B58 is a more impressive engine than the B48 but this is not the whole story I suspect i.e. the sum of the parts, and all that jazz....can deliver a different conclusion than expected. That's why I'm interested in feedback from folks who really know both G29 models (i.e. owned them) rather than just engine comparisons from other BMW models for example. I'm especially interested in understanding the practicalities and driving dynamics and how they differ. Thanks for the clip, appreciated.
Windy.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:55 pm

WindyHead wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:22 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 pm WindyHead, I came to my 30i from much the same viewpoint as yourself. Even though I came from a 718 Boxster I knew I didn’t want the M40i as quite simply I didn’t need the extra power. Have never regretted it.
Hi Scu, can you advise more on how you've found the 3.0i c.f. the 718? This would make for a nice real world comparison I should think. Thanks.
Windy.
Power wise, even though there is only about 33hp in it, the 718 felt a good bit quicker and it holds the road brilliantly. Tbf, I've not really pushed the 30i, my wife doesn’t mind speed per se, but the slightest curve in the rod freaks her out. (This was one of my reasons for selling the 718) The Z4 is a roomier cabin, nicer place to sit and nicer instrumentation imo. It feels more of a GT car than the 718, which is exactly what I wanted. I've seen over 45 mpg on longer motorway commutes and overall running costs are far cheaper than the 718, though surprisingly the insurance was a bit more on the z4.

I've never driven the M40i, so cannot offer comparisons there. I work for BMW and have driven most of the M cars and they are fantastic. I can only reiterate my earlier comment, if you don't need the extra power and will rarely use it, the 30i is the best choice. If you want/need/will use the extra power and want a more sports focused car, get the M40i.

Are you going to "make good progress" often whilst driving, or do you want a relaxed cruise?

Try and drive both back to back, see if that helps decision wise.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

WindyHead

Post by WindyHead » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:18 pm

Thanks guys for your feedback so far, appreciated.

I think it's correct in saying that the M40i on average will probably hold it's value better than a 30i in the long term; not only due to the engine but also due to the additional M parts such as LSD, seats, the adaptive damping etc. However I suspect there is a 'but' in there too....
I notice that most 30i's are not fully spec'd (as already observed in this thread) anywhere near the level of the average M40i. Hence, given the added rarity of the M40i it will likely hold it's residuals better in the long run. However, I dare say a fully spec'd 30i with all the nice M bits on 18" wheels would be even rarer! Food for thought perhaps?

I view the 30i as a sort of grown up MX5 or as a slimmed down, sportier SL. Given the popularity of the MX-5 and how well they hold their value, getting hold of a well spec'd and lightest version of the G29 would not be such a dumb idea IMHO.

Question is: would a G29 30i or M40i fare better as a manual? Petrolheads (mostly) believe that having a manual is a must. I completely get that for true drivers cars which are relatively light such as an MX5 or a Boxster for example - but for a sporty GT such as the G29 models; I have my doubts. All coupe versions by virtue of their lighter weight and stiffer body are arguably a better combination for a manual than a manual in their convertible variant - unless they are designed to be a genuine open top sports car i.e. MX5 and Boxster.
If you take a look at the Morgan Plus Four and compare against the Plus Six; everyone more or less agrees that the B58 is great but that the Plus Four with the B48 is the better car overall. Furthermore, it's widely admitted that the ZF 8 speed is in fact the ideal transmission for the Plus Four; suiting it's character better than the manual. It's just a crying shame Morgan couldn't come up with a more discreet and retro looking auto shifter. Looks so out of place in a Morgan! In summary, I suspect the ZF transmission is the better option for the G29, suiting it's GT character and recognizing it's limitations as a true sports car.
It should be very interesting to see the eventual comparison between a manual M40i and a manual Supra. I suspect the latter will come out on top to be honest. Not unless the additional dynamic changes (steering, chassis tweaks?) BMW say they will make to the manual variants will be truly transformational! Time will tell of course.

Getting back to the thread: is there anyone on the forum who went from a 30i and moved to an M40i or vice-versa perhaps? Would be interesting to gain their perspective. Thanks.

Windy.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:42 pm

My 30i is very well specced, every pack but the lighting pack iirc. They are out there. The 30i is discontinued, probably as you can quite cheaply tune the 20i to the same power. Whether that means it will hold value a bit better is anyone's guess. I test drove a 20i and could have lived with it, but decided on the 30i and my must have was the heads up display and SFR. I got a bit lucky with mine, it was bought remotely and the spec was far better than the description in the listing.
Last edited by Scubaregs on Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:04 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:55 pmmy wife
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

WindyHead

Post by WindyHead » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:35 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:42 pm My 30i is very well specced, every pack but the lighting pack iirc. They are out there. The 30i is discontinued, probably as you can quite cheaply tune the 20i to the same power. Whether that means it will hold value a bit better is anyone's guess.
That's interesting, I didn't know the 3.0i was discontinued in the UK - over the Channel it's still available. Well, I think that just increased the residual of your 3.0i I would say! Especially as it's well-spec'd. Great to hear!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm

I’ve never owned a G29 version…I did have a 30i out for a long weekend and did spend 3-4 hours with a M40i courtesy of Lloyd Carlisle.

There’s a parallel argument with the N20 powered 4 cylinder E89s vs the 6 cylinder N52 or N54 turbo variants.

I’ve had both a re-mapped 20i around 305bhp and my 35is..starting at 335 BHP and now around 550bhp.

The 20i came with an earlier version of the ZF8HP box found in the G29..the 35is has a 7 speed DCT now obsolete..

Folks split into two camps, the majority it seems prefer the 6 cylinder feel and sound and most prefer the power of say a 35i over other models.

A minority…(me) prefer the more dynamic feel of the lighter car with less weight on the front end and importantly no mass in front of the front axle.

I preferred the 30i over the M40i for the same reasons.

There’s no doubt that the B58 is a great engine and gives you that Saturn V feel.

Sound wise all the G29s have a massive amount of sound synthesis with BMW’s active sound design ..which I believe on the G29 can be switched off, masking the ‘true’ sounds of the car.

They are all great cars..pricing may distort folks views..spec wise I’d prefer a LSD which on the B58 pretty much is essential.

As for the perennial argument I’ve never understood why you’d select a manual box on a turbo charged car where the torque and power curves are managed to achieve different goals from the a normslly aspirated car with torque and BHP stacked at the top end of the curves.

Enjoy your search and deliberations :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Boyo

Post by Boyo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:43 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm As for the perennial argument I’ve never understood why you’d select a manual box on a turbo charged car where the torque and power curves are managed to achieve different goals from the a normslly aspirated car with torque and BHP stacked at the top end of the curves.
+1
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster

Hut man

Post by Hut man » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:18 am

Following this thread as it’s so similar to the questions I have asked, well done to all the contributors.
Im just needing to get my ducks in a row with the finance and I’ll be out there looking for the right car and spec, then hopefully meeting some of the regulars on a few car trips or shows
M40i sapphire black,tech,comfort shadow line.

Schaef

Post by Schaef » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:53 am

I have the 30i and use it as a daliy driver. Had the same choice to buy the 30 or the 40 but weight consumption was the deciding factor for me. It is fast enough and I think you also notice the weight at the front when turning in compared to the 40i. I had an e46 M3 convertible and the sound of the 6 cylinder is of course very nice. But don't miss it in the 30i.
For me, consumption is 1 liter for daily use, commuting to 14 km.
The car has every option except the LSD.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:11 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm As for the perennial argument I’ve never understood why you’d select a manual box on a turbo charged car where the torque and power curves are managed to achieve different goals from the a normslly aspirated car with torque and BHP stacked at the top end of the curves.
For the same reasons that people buy any manual car....you have infinitely more control with a manual gearbox no matter what engine it is driving.
The only gearbox 'map' is the one in the driver's head at any given time, not programmed by some faceless engineer.

On the flip side, I don't personally understand why anyone would want an automatic in a 'sports' type car. I know that 'semi-autos' are all the rage, but they are still autos however you cut it.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm

How do you have infinitely more control? I can put my car in manual mode and either use the flappy paddles or simply use the lever to select which gear I want to be in and for how long. Either of these options will still change gear quicker than a manual.

Image Image