Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Keeping split rim 294 alloys in perfect condition

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm

My Z4 came with the 294 split rim alloys. Car is now nearly 12 years old and they are in almost prefect condition. The previous owner bought he car AUC from Sytner Birmingham in Sept 2019 so maybe has a decent refurb at that time.
Replaced with some other wheels(with non runflats on them) as temporary measure so not had any use in my ownership.

Any tips on cleaning and keeping in pristine condition and preventing rust round the bolt heads and between hub and rim.
Any suggestions before wheels put back on car and for maintained after without having to spend hours cleaning each week.
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:06 pm

2k35is wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm My Z4 came with the 294 split rim alloys. Car is now nearly 12 years old and they are in almost prefect condition. The previous owner bought he car AUC from Sytner Birmingham in Sept 2019 so maybe has a decent refurb at that time.
Replaced with some other wheels(with non runflats on them) as temporary measure so not had any use in my ownership.

Any tips on cleaning and keeping in pristine condition and preventing rust round the bolt heads and between hub and rim.
Any suggestions before wheels put back on car and for maintained after without having to spend hours cleaning each week.
I should imagine that spraying something like ACF50 between the split rim sections would help stop corrosion, could be messy until the excess was flung out though? http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 pm

2k35is wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm
The wheels are made from aluminium alloy and the rim bolts are titanium so rust will not develop. However, if the rims haven't been split from the spoke centre when/if they were refurbished then corrosion may eventually develop at that interface.
I would give them a thorough cleaning whilst they are off the car and then apply a quality wheel sealant such as GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour which will protect them and make maintenance cleaning much easier in future. Avoid acid/caustic cleaners, buy a decent selection of wheel cleaning brushes and watch Jim Whites excellent short video :thumbsup:
https://youtu.be/bF2TWa5nQhQ
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:44 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 pm
The wheels are made from aluminium alloy and the rim bolts are titanium so rust will not develop. However, if the rims haven't been split from the spoke centre when/if they were refurbished then corrosion may eventually develop at that interface.
I would give them a thorough cleaning whilst they are off the car and then apply a quality wheel sealant such as GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour which will protect them and make maintenance cleaning much easier in future. Avoid acid/caustic cleaners, buy a decent selection of wheel cleaning brushes and watch Jim Whites excellent short video :thumbsup:
That’s a good video Si, :thumbsup: not seen his stuff before

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

patriot66
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:44 pm
    patriot66 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 pm
    That’s a good video Si, :thumbsup: not seen his stuff before
    Hi Andy. Been following him on YouTube for a few years now. Definitely one of the best out there. :thumbsup:
    Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 am

Thanks for info guys, wheel cleaner recommended in video ordered. After posting got a set of 325m's which I have been looking for a year so the 294's for sale. If look at sale thread pic's thread will see are near perfect condition -have only been on car for about 250 miles whilst in my ownership
    Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
    2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
    sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible