Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre inflator

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
GJ1

Tyre inflator

Post by GJ1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Hello all,

I am after some advice on purchasing a new tyre inflator please. The one I currently have takes so long to unscrew, all whilst I hear the air escaping, that I'd like to get one which has a quick release mechanism. Any recommendations? Ideally looking for something under £50. Alternatively, I've seen some adapters that I think you can connect to the inflator and tyre cap. Anyone have any experience of these? Do they do the job? Any recommendations?

Looking for either a car lighter plug-in or mains connection.

Thanks in advance
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre inflator

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Maybe worth a punt but I had this with my recently purchased one and discovered if you push the braided hose back down onto the valve while unscrewing it largely stops any air escaping

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

GJ1

Tyre inflator

Post by GJ1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 pm recently
    Definitely worth a punt, will give that a go :thumbsup:

Ewazix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Tyre inflator

Post by Ewazix » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:44 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 pm Maybe worth a punt but I had this with my recently purchased one and discovered if you push the braided hose back down onto the valve while unscrewing it largely stops any air escaping
    I found the same push-down trick works, or adding +1 psi is usually about right to compensate.
    2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
    2018 Cooper S Countryman
    Fiesta Ecoboost

M1k3yC

Tyre inflator

Post by M1k3yC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm

I have this issue with mine but what I've noticed is that I think it slightly overinflates automatically (probably to compensate) when I set it to the pressure I want to achieve and use the auto-stop feature it has. I would suggest finding an amount to overinflate by that you are happy with then as long as each tyre loses roughly the same amount when you unscrew the hose it doesn't really matter. Tyre pressures fluctuate quite a bit with temperature anyway.
    2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
    2018 F56 Mini JCW
    2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
    Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Tyre inflator

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:01 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm I have this issue with mine but what I've noticed is that I think it slightly overinflates automatically (probably to compensate) when I set it to the pressure I want to achieve and use the auto-stop feature it has. I would suggest finding an amount to overinflate by that you are happy with then as long as each tyre loses roughly the same amount when you unscrew the hose it doesn't really matter. Tyre pressures fluctuate quite a bit with temperature anyway.
    Yep..mine also over inflates by about 0.5psi to compensate, think this is common with digital inflators and makes sense :thumbsup:
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Tyre inflator

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm

After much faffing about with various devices, I now carry an 'Airman' kit in the car, but for general tyre inflation I use a separate push on pressure gauge, but use a stirrup pump designed for pushbikes to inflate the tyre.
    Find it just as quick and easy, and they come with the lever on the end, so you push it on then flick the lever round to open the valve.
    For sticking a few psi in its quicker than unravelling the plug in type.
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Haggisman

Tyre inflator

Post by Haggisman » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:09 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm After much faffing about with various devices, I now carry an 'Airman' kit in the car, but for general tyre inflation I use a separate push on pressure gauge, but use a stirrup pump designed for pushbikes to inflate the tyre.
    Find it just as quick and easy, and they come with the lever on the end, so you push it on then flick the lever round to open the valve.
    For sticking a few psi in its quicker than unravelling the plug in type.
    I’m with you on the stirrup pump, easy as and saves going to the gym for a work out. Along with a reliable pressure gauge used one for years when I was racing.
    2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
    2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
    2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
    1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
    2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
    2003 350Z well modded - Sold
    1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

GJ1

Tyre inflator

Post by GJ1 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:37 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:01 pm
    M1k3yC wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm I have this issue with mine but what I've noticed is that I think it slightly overinflates automatically (probably to compensate) when I set it to the pressure I want to achieve and use the auto-stop feature it has. I would suggest finding an amount to overinflate by that you are happy with then as long as each tyre loses roughly the same amount when you unscrew the hose it doesn't really matter. Tyre pressures fluctuate quite a bit with temperature anyway.
    Yep..mine also over inflates by about 0.5psi to compensate, think this is common with digital inflators and makes sense :thumbsup:

Probably a dumb question but how do you tell it automatically over compensates? If you pre-set to say 30 psi does it flash up that it has put say 30.5 psi in? I've not noticed this on mine but might have just missed it or maybe mine's not clever enough for that.

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Tyre inflator

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:28 am

GJ1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Probably a dumb question but how do you tell it automatically over compensates? If you pre-set to say 30 psi does it flash up that it has put say 30.5 psi in? I've not noticed this on mine but might have just missed it or maybe mine's not clever enough for that.
    Yes it has a digital display which shows 0.5 psi over whatever you set it at when it automatically stops
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

GJ1

Tyre inflator

Post by GJ1 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:23 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:28 am
    GJ1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Yes it has a digital display which shows 0.5 psi over whatever you set it at when it automatically stops
    Ok, thanks for confirming :thumbsup: