Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TPM / TPMS revisited

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:59 pm

[/quote]

There is no wonder that some owners that have knowledge stop helping others and go silent when this is what you get for helping out. :thumbsdown:
[/quote]

Dave, FWIW I’m sure most folks are with me in appreciating what you and the other SMEs (subject matter experts) do for this and other forums…

I get really pissed off with the sharp acerbic comments but have to accept that forums are not always populated by polite , well read, appreciative audiences.. :headbang:

At any point in time each of us has a body of knowledge that extends so far..I’m still learning despite 6+ years of hoovering as much info from multiple sources as possible.. :tumbleweed:

So please continue to support us, especially those new to the subject areas :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:26 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:59 pm

There is no wonder that some owners that have knowledge stop helping others and go silent when this is what you get for helping out. :thumbsdown:
[/quote]

Dave, FWIW I’m sure most folks are with me in appreciating what you and the other SMEs (subject matter experts) do for this and other forums…

I get really pissed off with the sharp acerbic comments but have to accept that forums are not always populated by polite , well read, appreciative audiences.. :headbang:

At any point in time each of us has a body of knowledge that extends so far..I’m still learning despite 6+ years of hoovering as much info from multiple sources as possible.. :tumbleweed:

So please continue to support us, especially those new to the subject areas :thumbsup:
[/quote]
I fully concur!
Whilst I'm happy to do all the hacking and bashing stuff I am eternally grateful there are people out there who understand the finer points of electrickery etc.
And yes.......... I sometimes cannot be bothered either. When you've told someone five times to check a particular component and they still keep coming back asking what the codes mean............. and they read somewhere that.................. :headbang: :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:29 pm

I have no intention of disappearing any time soon, after all I've still got stuff to put on YouTube yet :rofl: just need to find the time, almost a year after I filmed them, to get them edited, unfortunately other things get in the way.
Yes still learning here as well, all the retrofits I've done, mentioned in the other post, work as they should but there are things I'm still trying to get working :rofl:
Onwards and upwards :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

matsmith749

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:29 pm

There weren't any sharp or acerbic comments (not from me anyways). Nor any impoliteness.

I just disagreed.

But I don't have a fanboy attitude either, I thought the comment was poor & misleading.

That's allowed.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:35 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:29 pm I don't have a fanboy attitude either,
Ooh, that's a little acerbic. :poke: :rofl:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jasonn

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Jasonn » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am

Morning all, just jumping onto this one.

Got in the car today got tyre pressure warning, tyres all OK, warning is for all four tyres - picture of car with arrows pointing at all off them, not using run flats since I replaced them back in 2020.

Reset idrive which showed all four wheels as amber then green drove to end of road, turned round and stopped engine, started it again, same warning reset and parked it back on the drive.

It got cold here last night after driving through the heavy thunderstorm and hail combo (down to 6 degrees according to the car from 20 during the day).

I'm wondering if driving through the standing water combined with the temperature drop has caused this, I'm going out again in a bit, just wondered if any one else had this?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:00 am

Jasonn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am Morning all, just jumping onto this one.

Got in the car today got tyre pressure warning, tyres all OK, warning is for all four tyres - picture of car with arrows pointing at all off them, not using run flats since I replaced them back in 2020.

Reset idrive which showed all four wheels as amber then green drove to end of road, turned round and stopped engine, started it again, same warning reset and parked it back on the drive.

It got cold here last night after driving through the heavy thunderstorm and hail combo (down to 6 degrees according to the car from 20 during the day).

I'm wondering if driving through the standing water combined with the temperature drop has caused this, I'm going out again in a bit, just wondered if any one else had this?
Forgive the stupid question, but I assume you did actually check the tyre pressures?
Perhaps they have all just dropped a little with the colder temps, but then you should have noticed that when you checked them?
Or you previously did a reset when they were really hot? And noe they've dropped back to normal. Bear in mind the system is looking at discrepancies from the datum you reset to, not actual pressures.
Also, it could well be that just to the end of the road wasn't far enough for the system to reset. Do it again and take it further.

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 am

Procedure from the manual....
Attachments
Screenshot_20230922_110617_DRIVERS GUIDE.jpg
Screenshot_20230922_110617_DRIVERS GUIDE.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Dave

ThirdMLC

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by ThirdMLC » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:09 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am Since you don’t have the TPMS system there will be no benefit in adding TPMS sensors to the wheels…FWIW..

Hi B21 & Nictrix - you’re both correct (& the local dealer not so much ;-)) !!
Thanks for your advice. The strange thing is the red FTM warning light went off after a major service. They removed the MV2 alloys to bleed the brakes (hadn’t had a fluid change in 6yrs…) and found & removed two spigots wedged on the front hubs (they’re not needed as they were crushed). After driving it home a few miles the red warning light went off and has remained off :D
Even better, just had a set of Goodyear F1 Assymetric 6s fitted and a 4- wheel alignment done (it was way off on all wheels) and the car has been transformed !!!
Now onto replacing a dead MULF2, retrofitting Cruise (parts ordered and YouTube video watched several time - thanks Dave :D)
Finally will need to track down a pair of rear lights or find a way to fix a few dim / dead indicator LEDs ;-)

Thanks again !!

PS. Didn’t mean to stir things up by reposting on this old thread ;-)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:21 pm

Glad you got it sorted AND reported back..a satisfied customer …FWIW faulty led indicator in the rear light is a no hoper / fatal / dead parrot issue..replacing the whole unit is your only course of action..sadly..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Jasonn

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Jasonn » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:49 pm

I decided to leave it for a while whilst I got the tyre gauge out of the other car (I had quickly checked them using the one on the footpump).

Tyre gauge gave significantly lower readings (down to around 25psi but the footpump said 32psi).

Pumped up the tyres checked with the "proper" gauge, reset and all good.

Probably just needed "winter" air 😁

Seriously though, I'm not relying on the pump gauge ever again.

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:17 pm

ThirdMLC wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:09 pm.....
Now onto replacing a dead MULF2, retrofitting Cruise (parts ordered and YouTube video watched several time - thanks Dave :D).....

Thanks again !!

PS. Didn’t mean to stir things up by reposting on this old thread ;-)
Good luck with the MULF, should be a straightforward swap over :thumbsup:
Any issues with the cruise control then give me a shout on PM and I'll see what I can do :thumbsup:

And to show that I can have issues there as well, I've had my cruise for quite a while now, but it's not fully factory as it doesn't have the cluster LED's around the speedo. So I set about trying to see if it was possible to do this. I found the proper way, got a cluster and had it "virginised" by a local guy. Fitted it, coded it all OK and fully working.
So I offered this to a customer who took up my offer. I got another cluster, sent it to the same guy and got it sorted. Fitted it but couldn't code it. There was a fault somewhere with the cluster, long story short, I couldn't return it as it was opened up, so I paid for the unit and paid the guy to work on it, so was out of pocket to the tune of £180. Nothing I could do to rectify the situation.
So sometimes things just don't work right, and one reason I don't offer to do this anymore. You win some, you loose some. :roll:
Anyway I've currently got the digital cluster in, which will be removed and I'll have the cruise cluster back in once I sell the digital.one.

And no issues with any stirring! 8) but I am thinking of selling autographed photos for my fans :rofl: (that's a joke BTW :P )
Dave

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by flybobbie » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:36 am

Since i replaced my faulty ABS module my cars TPMS stop working with a warning note.
Also the warning i'm in sport+ mode doesn't come up in that mode, sort of glad of that.

N4LLY

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by N4LLY » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:26 am

Jasonn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:15 am Morning all, just jumping onto this one.

I had all 4 warnings pointed to also a few weeks ago. I have a rear right that needs checking regular
as the TMPS warning comes on for that one every 2/3 months.
Checked all 4 tyres and just the rear right needed 2 - 3 lbs and all 4 warnings went out.
Cannot remember the air tempreture that day, but yes maybe they need "Winter air" now, as you say :D

Edit: 34 PSI fronts 35 PsI rear. Are different pressures recommended for winter ?

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange