Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carbon Fibre based overlays on interior trim

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
CliveN

Post by CliveN » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:09 pm

I have seen Silverstar's car first hand in Spain and the work is fabulous. Luckily i am happy with my aluminium trim otherwise I would be £500 poorer. Istead I am hoping he will do his Stage 1 hi-fi install in my car.......We are back next week btw!
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:24 pm

CliveN wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:09 pm Istead I am hoping he will do his Stage 1 hi-fi install in my car.......We are back next week btw!
Never mind £500 that will make you 2k poorer :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hopefully will see you when you are here! :)
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Brians

Post by Brians » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:35 pm

Looking forward to seeing Silverstar's work in my car one day soon!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:25 pm

Isn't carbon old hat now, never saw the appeal.
Pretending to be super light, better off losing a few pounds!

Brians

Post by Brians » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:50 pm

By overlaying CF over the aluminum, you easily pick up 10HP. :)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:36 pm

flybobbie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:25 pm Isn't carbon old hat now, never saw the appeal.
By skinning trims with carbon you are not pretending it to be light it’s purely for aesthetics and aesthetics are subjective. By the same token you could argue leather wood or brushed aluminium is old hat too.

The trims in my car were badly scratched so I needed to do something, being subjective I find painting them or vinyl wrapping them to be naff same with covering them with leather or alcantara which doesn’t blend well with the rest of the leather in the car.

Of course I would love to have replaced my brushed aluminium trim but BMW charge a fortune for them, next I thought about getting them refinished but could not find anyone to do it so then I came across carbon fibre and have to say now I have it, it looks gorgeous and way more modern (way less old hat) than brushed aluminium. All subjective of course!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:41 pm

Brians wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:35 pm Looking forward to seeing Silverstar's work in my car one day soon!
Hopefully I’ll soon be able to find some donor trims. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:47 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:36 pm
flybobbie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:25 pm Isn't carbon old hat now, never saw the appeal.
By skinning trims with carbon you are not pretending it to be light it’s purely for aesthetics and aesthetics are subjective. By the same token you could argue leather wood or brushed aluminium is old hat too.

The trims in my car were badly scratched so I needed to do something, being subjective I find painting them or vinyl wrapping them to be naff same with covering them with leather or alcantara which doesn’t blend well with the rest of the leather in the car.

Of course I would love to have replaced my brushed aluminium trim but BMW charge a fortune for them, next I thought about getting them refinished but could not find anyone to do it so then I came across carbon fibre and have to say now I have it, it looks gorgeous and way more modern (way less old hat) than brushed aluminium. All subjective of course!
Maybe if flybobbie supplied the 'old hat' you could cover his trims with that? :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:50 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:47 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:36 pm

Maybe if flybobbie supplied the 'old hat' you could cover his trims with that? :rofl:
:rofl:

Laserdad

Post by Laserdad » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:16 am

Unfortunately I can't PM yet. I'd like to order a full set, including the trim so I don't have to send mine to you. How much would that be sent to Germany? Cheers, Erik

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:50 am

Laserdad, Once you have made " 3" post, you are then able to make Private messages (OM's) 8)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:01 pm

Laserdad wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:16 am Unfortunately I can't PM yet. I'd like to order a full set, including the trim so I don't have to send mine to you. How much would that be sent to Germany? Cheers, Erik
Hello Erik, if you are in Germany I assume your car is LHD? If so the difficulty will be finding donor trims for LHD car at a sensible price. But let me know if you are still interested and we will see what we can do.