Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement of OEM Sat Nav with Garmin, retaining ‘pop-up’ functionality

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:58 pm

Very admirable project! Great job! :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:37 pm

Thanks for info - especially on checking the diagnostics page in the Garmin ! I just finished sectioning my project box to ca. 32mm high, removing molded-in screw mounts, and checking circuit board fit (just about perfect size).
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Mojito wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:48 pm "Garmin 66 power. Turn off automatically" (hidden menu option from Diagnostics Page > Turn Off Automatically) should prevent the annoying problem of the unit doing that "it's off but not really off" sleep state thing, draining the battery to nothing. This was an issue with the previous generation where it was required to hold the power button, wait for the true "Turn off the device?" prompt, and then it was off. This appears to have been fixed in the 66."
Found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJk3UWn1bYk
Haven't tried it yet, but there is a whole hidden world of interesting Garmin sub menus, which includes 'turn off automatically'. Interesting to see what it actually does.....
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:45 pm

kis wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:58 pm Very admirable project! Great job! :)
Thanks kis. One of those projects where I wondered why I had started it when screen was all in pieces, but it turned out well.
Z4Mariner wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:37 pm Thanks for info - especially on checking the diagnostics page in the Garmin ! I just finished sectioning my project box to ca. 32mm high, removing molded-in screw mounts, and checking circuit board fit (just about perfect size).
I had a play this morning and the 'hidden menus' are indeed there ... interesting to see just how many satellites gps had fixes on. I also found the 'turn off automatically' menu, but alas it was already enabled. Think this means you can only toggle the sleep function on/off, not set it to totally shut down. Still I don't find this an issue in practice.
Well done sorting the circuit board box.
Just realised I hadn't included a photo of the screen in reverse camera mode - below.
Attachments
IMG_7694.jpeg
IMG_7694.jpeg (117.23 KiB) Viewed 470 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Great piece of engineering and lateral thinking :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:09 pm

Thanks B21. I'm one of those people that just can't stand trailing wires, so for me a phone or Tomtom on a mount just doesn't look right.
From the minute I bought the car I was working on ideas for an up to date 'OEM' look solution . In my case that actually meant starting out with a retrofit of an OEM Sat Nav, before progressing to the Garmin set up. I know crazy :lol:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm

Mojito wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:09 pm Thanks B21. I'm one of those people that just can't stand trailing wires, so for me a phone or Tomtom on a mount just doesn't look right.
From the minute I bought the car I was working on ideas for an up to date 'OEM' look solution . In my case that actually meant starting out with a retrofit of an OEM Sat Nav, before progressing to the Garmin set up. I know crazy :lol:
I’m with you on the trailing wires issue..they irritate me intensely…

The technical truism is that rate of product enhancement in these portable devices is so much faster than the built in versions.

You’ve squared the circle with your left field thinking :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

v13mke

Post by v13mke » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:19 am

What a great project this is. Might consider this myself

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 am

B21 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm The technical truism is that rate of product enhancement in these portable devices is so much faster than the built in versions.
I've just been reading your Atacarma Yellow build thread. Brilliant :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:58 am

Mojito wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 am
B21 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:13 pm The technical truism is that rate of product enhancement in these portable devices is so much faster than the built in versions.
I've just been reading your Atacarma Yellow build thread. Brilliant :thumbsup:
Glad you appreciate it :thumbsup:

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 am

Mojito, I'm posting for a little help. Here's where I am in 'cloning' your cool mod:

> Garmin DriveSmart 66 ready; back-up camera arriving tomorrow
> Wiring extensions are finished and ready for fitting into project box
> All old "soft touch" finish has been carefully removed, and re-paint is underway
> BT adapter is in hand
> New Business CD Headunit arrived in good shape from UK

BUT I have a couple of hurdles left and am looking for help.

1) I foolishly paid little attention to preserving the rotational position of the stepper motor when I took apart the screen assembly. Do I need to precisely re-set the motor pinion-to-rack orientation ? I'm seeking confirmation that I don't need to worry. I hope the screen operates only upon motor steps from a zero point, with perhaps a slip clutch (or two ?) and needs no special orientation in re-assembly

2) My North American Garmin DriveSmart 66 came with a Garmin 12V power adapter and a cable that has an in-line "box" near the USB A connector end. The cable box is a receiver and/or antenna for HD and FM traffic information in NA. Further, the cable is supposed to connect into the Garmin-specific 12V adapter - it's not compatible with standard USB ports (which will force attempted PC sync). To use this cable I will need to cut-and-splice it to get it through the screen housing bushing. Did you have any USB cable issue ? Did you have to wire in a Garmin power adapter ?

Thanks for the inspiration . . . and thanks in advance for your help !
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:59 am

Z4Mariner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 am Mojito, I'm posting for a little help. Here's where I am in 'cloning' your cool mod:
Looking good Z4Mariner and pleased to see you went for the full package with the reversing camera, really worth it.
Z4Mariner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 am rotational position of the stepper motor
Ah you've got me here - I didn't mark it either when I took it apart and can remember now puzzling the same question :? A couple of photos attached from when I was disassembling screen to help others see what we are talking about. I just lined the 'circular cut out stop' on the gear quadrant with the 'stop post' - one of photos shows this clearly. The quadrant only moves in one direction from here - can't remember whether screen is in closed or open position at this point - that worked perfectly on mine on switch on. I know I opened/closed screen by hand on reassembly to make sure it meshed over full travel. Think you're right motor works on steps from a zero point. Hope this helps.
Z4Mariner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 am Garmin 12V power adapter and a cable that has an in-line "box" near the USB A connector end. The cable box is a receiver and/or antenna for HD and FM traffic information in NA.
Interesting - UK version doesnt have the 'inline box' in cable. I ran a 'piggy back connector' from an ignition switched fuse, terminated that in a standard car 12v socket and plugged the Garmin power adapter into that to avoid any potential issues with forced pc sync attempt. Conveniently that gave me a spare usb power outlet for my dash cam - the Garmin power adapter has 2 x USB outlets on it :D I'll post a detail on which fuse I piggy baked onto.

Keep me updated, great progress :thumbsup:
Mojito
Attachments
IMG_6343.jpeg
IMG_6343.jpeg (122.6 KiB) Viewed 235 times
IMG_6312.jpeg
IMG_6312.jpeg (113.82 KiB) Viewed 235 times

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:25 am

Mojito wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:59 am I'll post a detail on which fuse I piggy baked onto.
Can't find a note of which particular fuse I piggy backed onto, but installed the ignition switched supply when i first got my Z based on this link: viewtopic.php?p=1530361&hilit=piggyback+fuse#p1530361

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:19 pm

Progress Report on my clone of your project:

- Finished assembly of Project Box & wiring
- Garmin rests between ABS guides to locate it laterally & vertically in bezel
- Added final paint (black with matte clear) to Nav display parts & reassembled
- Cut & spliced Garmin USB power cable to pass through display module bushing (9 wires + shielding/ground). US Garmin DriveSmart 66 has a 'brick' in the cable, the Garmin cables aren't standard USB, and the right angle USB-C connector will not fit through the bushing.
- Tested cable in another vehicle; the Garmin functioned properly
- Side trip - I decided to replace my 12V ashtray power socket with a USB-A/-C power port
- Re-purposed 12V socket GROUND (earth) to use for new port and the Garmin power port. Since the original 12V circuit is 15A, two ports with 5A and 7.5A fuses should be able to share this ground on the conservative side. Removed 15A fuse in F5 and de-pinned power pin in ashtray connector for safety.
- Powered USB-A/-C port using 5A fused piggy-back tap on F8 (switched, ashtray LED).
- Powered Garmin adapter with 7.5A fused tap in F2 (switched, spare slot).
- Completed in-car connection of Nav display, project box, power cable, Business CD headunit, and even my MagSafe phone mount for a test before final installation.
- First power-up . . . . momentary “Uh-Oh !” . . . . I connected all except the project box with the SatNav circuit board ! :?
- Second test . . . . Success !! :)

I should share that indeed the stepper motor and logic seem to self-index as I had hoped, so rotation of the stepper motor while out of the car was not an issue. I'll post again when I've completed the whole project.

Things left to do:

Securely install the project box / circuit board, re-install Nav display and Business CD Headunit, renew foam on vents and install, install the BlueBus BT I just received, and install the back-up camera.

Thanks for your pioneering and assistance, Mojito !
Attachments
IMG_6360.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG (166 KiB) Viewed 145 times
IMG_6234.JPG
IMG_6234.JPG (191.01 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:33 pm

Z4Mariner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:19 pm Second test . . . . Success !! :)
Hi Z4Mariner and well done, some very neat work there :thumbsup: Great to hear all working properly. Lovely finish on the Nav display repaint - as good as new :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing how you did things, really helpful for anyone else considering going down the same route. The abs guides to locate the screen are really neat. Also how you had to cut and splice the US spec Garmin 66 USB cable - fortunately for me, not necessary on UK spec USB cable.

Look forward to hearing all complete and seeing some photos of finished installation. Any comments/observations that might help others on Garmin 66 operation in this install appreciated :)