Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dead battery

DonDon

Dead battery

Post by DonDon » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:21 pm

I work from home and some weeks I will just use the car to go to the local supermarket and back a few times - about 2 miles each way.

I bought the car about 6 weeks ago, and getting to know it (28i), I checked the battery about a week ago. It is 70Ah and registered at 12.6V first thing in the morning, after standing all night. April last year has been written on it by hand - I can't see a manufacturer's date.

A few days ago, the service light came on when I went to start it, but it started OK and I completed my 15 mile journey. It has come on a couple of times since and there is an excessive discharge message (or similar - I can't remember exactly).

Then yesterday, it wouldn't unlock from the remote (I had to use the actual key) and pressing the start button did nothing at all, the alarm started and the wipers came on. I don't yet have a code reader, but one is on order.

The AA guy said the battery's internal resistance is 16 Ohms when it should be between 2 and 4. I turned down his kind offer of a replacement battery for £230.

I put it on a Ctek charger for about 6 hours on the AGM setting and it appeared to complete its tasks and the Go light came on. However, the voltage now says 11.7V and so it looks dead.

I have two questions:

1. If I often do just a few short journeys, can I and should I replace it with an 80Ah one?

2. Is it likely that these short journeys have killed the battery and should I take the wife's car instead?
2013 E89 28i auto

smorris_12

Dead battery

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:30 pm

Sounds like its lost a cell.

That's no point buying a larger capacity battery - you can't compensate for not putting enough charge back in each time you use it. If you have Start/Stop, deactivate it each time you go out as each re-start just depletes the battery further. Best solution is to take the long way home and charge it back up that way!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

matsmith749

Dead battery

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:35 pm

Hand written date on the top of the battery means nothing at all TBH - take that with a pinch of salt.

Right now its clearly time to replace the battery, make sure you get it registered to the car also (else it will overcharge it & fail quickly).

Also would be good to get a code reader - save you (or us) guessing.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

DonDon

Dead battery

Post by DonDon » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:42 am

smorris_12 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:30 pm Sounds like its lost a cell.

That's no point buying a larger capacity battery - you can't compensate for not putting enough charge back in each time you use it. If you have Start/Stop, deactivate it each time you go out as each re-start just depletes the battery further. Best solution is to take the long way home and charge it back up that way!
Won't a larger battery at least give me more leeway? I am thinking that I will have to get into a routine of charging it regularly, but would a larger capacity allow that to be a bit less frequent? I don't have start/stop.
2013 E89 28i auto

tiglon

Dead battery

Post by tiglon » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:05 am

Are you able to leave it on a trickle charger when not in use? I would think that should solve the problem once you've changed the battery.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Zed Baron

Dead battery

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:23 am

The battery date stamp should be on one of top of one of the terminal posts (week/year), if its over 5 years old I'd be looking at changing the battery. Try Tayna batteries or the Battery group for prices. My E89 is used sparingly and I keep it connected to a trickle charger in the garage.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Dead battery

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:27 am

I used my zed very rarely and I used to put my trickle charger on there for a least one day per week and never had any issues at all
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

smorris_12

Dead battery

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:01 am

DonDon wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:42 am Won't a larger battery at least give me more leeway? I am thinking that I will have to get into a routine of charging it regularly, but would a larger capacity allow that to be a bit less frequent?
Wrong solution. Leaving a lead acid battery mostly flat or over discharging it ruins the capacity. You'd soon burn the extra Ah out of it over standard and, in a year or two it'll be back to the same position of two good starts and it's flat.

Either drive further or get a trickle charger with external connector.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Dead battery

Post by B21 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:54 am

It could well be that some of the circuits in the car are not shutting down properly when the car is locked..

Quite common on E89s..a fault code reader would show a DME error in such circumstances :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

javis20

Dead battery

Post by javis20 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:20 pm

Agree with a previous post, dead cell in battery.

DonDon

Dead battery

Post by DonDon » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:12 am

I have now got ISTA-D and the only code is that the battery was discharged. I put it on the AGM and Recon settings on my CTEK Time To Go charger. I know that recon shouldn't be used for AGM batteries, but I had nothing to lose.

It appears to be OK now; my local tyre and battery centre checked it and gave it a clean bill of health. I will put it on charge regularly.
2013 E89 28i auto

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Dead battery

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:37 am

And remember to charge through the bonnet battery posts, so the cars computer knows what's going on.

DonDon

Dead battery

Post by DonDon » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:56 am

Of course. That's where I have attached my CTEK indicator connector.
2013 E89 28i auto

matsmith749

Dead battery

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Once fully drained it's likely (as in pretty much certain) that the battery will never be 100% again, and a nice trickle charger is not the answer.

I had this exact dance with an old car back in the day, when I could not be told. I charged it up every weekend. The charger said it was perfect.

But it could not hold capacity, nor could it deliver cranking amps for anything other than the first start.

Take off charger, start perfect. Drive for a couple of hours & park up for the day. Return to a battery that won't start the car.

Lesson learned.

This could be a battery issue or something else electrical in the chain, I would keep looking, or come back here in a few weeks after getting stranded of course!
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Dead battery

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:58 pm

Mat i think that was back in the day a lead acid battery would work for exactly 25 months, fail one month after warranty ran out.
Think about the plates, they might all total up to say 12.5 volts on a volt meter when just charged, but each plate might only hold 10 percent of amps, so first crank, if it cranks, ok, next crank amps all gone.

Anyone brought battery back to life charging with welder?