Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to secure a suction pad to the top of the dashboard

Dr_Tripwire

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:19 am

Hi

I've recently bought one of these...https://carpuride.com/collections/front ... rd-console

I've currently got the suction mount bracket secured to the windscreen but would prefer to secure it to the dashboard.

Being curved and textured, I've found it impossible to use what's been supplied and so I wondered if anyone has recommendations on how to do this without damaging the dashboard (without drilling, cutting etc)...

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Need to secure the suction cup gasket to the dashboard...
Need to secure the suction cup gasket to the dashboard...
Screenshot_2023-06-18-11-13-48-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 532 times

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:49 pm

I use one of these bean-bag devices for my Tom Tom sat nav when in the Z. You can find them on EBay and Amazon in a variety of sizes. Mine works really well with the Tom Tom. Not sure whether you will find one suitable because of the size of your unit. Worth a look though as they are not expensive and they can easily be removed when you are not in the car.
IMG_0280.jpeg
IMG_0280.jpeg (197.28 KiB) Viewed 516 times
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg (178.41 KiB) Viewed 516 times

Dr_Tripwire

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:35 am

IRD wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:49 pm I use one of these bean-bag devices for my Tom Tom sat nav when in the Z. You can find them on EBay and Amazon in a variety of sizes. Mine works really well with the Tom Tom. Not sure whether you will find one suitable because of the size of your unit. Worth a look though as they are not expensive and they can easily be removed when you are not in the car.
IMG_0280.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg
Thanks, that could do it if the bottom of the bean bag is adhesive, the arm that attaches to the display has the suction pad and as long as it has a secure flat surface to attach to it should be ok - I'll check them out :thumbsup:

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:39 pm

Dr_Tripwire wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:35 am
IRD wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:49 pm I use one of these bean-bag devices for my Tom Tom sat nav when in the Z. You can find them on EBay and Amazon in a variety of sizes. Mine works really well with the Tom Tom. Not sure whether you will find one suitable because of the size of your unit. Worth a look though as they are not expensive and they can easily be removed when you are not in the car.IMG_0280.jpegIMG_0281.jpeg
Thanks, that could do it if the bottom of the bean bag is adhesive, the arm that attaches to the display has the suction pad and as long as it has a secure flat surface to attach to it should be ok - I'll check them out :thumbsup:
As well as the one in the picture I have a bigger one with a broader base that I bought from Halfords some years ago. The bases are coated so that they don’t move and are remarkably stable. I have been quite surprised how well they work. There is no need for glue.
Good luck with your search. 👍

$TREET$Z4

Post by $TREET$Z4 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:25 am

Double side clear gorilla tape. Or black automotive double sided 3M. My go to. Attached a wing on my STATICAltima with the stuff.