Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New battery, issues still there

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:32 pm

A few weeks ago I started getting spurious warning lights.
First was 'bulb out' with fast clicking on LH indicator. Got out checked, all fine. Started up again, no issues.
Then occasionally it would come on again and then work fine on re-start (or even the next junction)

Then I got a PDC failure warning light. Again as intermittent as the bulb out.

At the weekend I got the red 'car on ramp' warning. Haha 'battery' I thought (it's 4.5 years old)
I checked battery voltage at rest, only 12.3v.
Charged it up for 24 hrs on a smart charger and it didn't budge off 40% charged, although voltage was now 12.55v

Went for a short drive and all worked ok until I got home and then bulb & PDC light came back on :evil:

I've just replaced the battery and as per title the issues remain (new battery voltage was 12.8v)

I've also observed that sometimes the centre 3 LED's in the rear cluster aren't on, although even when they are on I can still get the bulb out warning.

Just put a code reader on it and none are present

I suspect the battery was on it's way out anyway, but where do I go next?
Any help advice appreciated :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:38 pm

The ‘faults’ are they referring to the LH rear light cluster?

Do you have iDrive?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:06 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:38 pm The ‘faults’ are they referring to the LH rear light cluster?

Do you have iDrive?
No, don't Have iDrive

It's just the yellow warning light in centre info cluster (sorry should have said), but it only comes on when activating LHS, so I guess related
I just assumed a battery/voltage thing as it was so intermittent
The PDC warning only comes on when I press the button to engage.
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:15 pm

Fast flashing from the indicators might be water ingress - they are famously rubblish at keeping out water.

Easy to take a look.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:38 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:15 pm Fast flashing from the indicators might be water ingress - they are famously rubblish at keeping out water.

Easy to take a look.
Just been out to check. Bone dry (as is the boot), mind you I'd expect nothing else with the weather at the moment
I think I have seen condensation in the cluster in the past tho. Boot has always been dry

I tried them a few times and they worked every time. Arghh
Still have the PDC error
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:06 pm

AFAIK the rear light and PDC are not directly connected..but..do your reversing lights come on when you select reverse?

Sounds a bit like either your LH rear light cluster is defective or the FRM box or it’s a dodgy connector…your battery woes don’t help the FRM as a possible issue..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:29 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:06 pm AFAIK the rear light and PDC are not directly connected..but..do your reversing lights come on when you select reverse?

Sounds a bit like either your LH rear light cluster is defective or the FRM box or it’s a dodgy connector…your battery woes don’t help the FRM as a possible issue..
Hi B21
just been out with wifey to check reversing lights, yes they are working correctly
Whilst there I also re-checked LH indicator - still good
At that point I heard a PDC go off (wife was stiil at back). The error light had cleared on the dash and they too are now working OK

Is it possible everything has settled down now new battery is fitted or am I being too optimistic? :D
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:49 pm

obewan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:29 pm
B21 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:06 pm AFAIK the rear light and PDC are not directly connected..but..do your reversing lights come on when you select reverse?

Hi B21
just been out with wifey to check reversing lights, yes they are working correctly
Whilst there I also re-checked LH indicator - still good
At that point I heard a PDC go off (wife was stiil at back). The error light had cleared on the dash and they too are now working OK

Is it possible everything has settled down now new battery is fitted or am I being too optimistic? :D
Frankly the best thing you can do with these infernal E89s is always switch off , walk away for at least 30 minutes and try again…I have two errors which come and go based on I think the relationship between Mars and Uranus :tumbleweed: :rofl:

obewan

Post by obewan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:53 pm

:rofl: :rofl:
I know the feeling. I'll see if a couple of jars of Loweswater Gold helps (sure it will)
I'll try again tomorrow

Thanks for your input guys :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:00 pm

obewan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:53 pm :rofl: :rofl:
I know the feeling. I'll see if a couple of jars of Loweswater Gold helps (sure it will)
I'll try again tomorrow

Thanks for your input guys :thumbsup:
Sounds fabulous :thumbsup: