Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Offensive posts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Offensive posts

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:28 am

Hi all,

These last few days the bahaviour of some people on this forum has reached a new low. Over the years (since 2007) there have been members who have been antagonistic, pushed the boundaries etc, but recently things have spilled over to a level I can not understand.

Since 2007 I can count on one hand how many times I have banned people. I have always left the forum to moderat itself, and that has worked fine up until now.

I'm not going to go into the example of behaviour here, but I have banned 3 members this morning for 1 week. This is going to be a reset of the rules going forward. I am not going to dwell on what has gone on in the past, just were we are today and how we proceed going forward.

Going forward, if anyone posts blatant insults (I appreciate this may be subjective, but I can only do so much) then there will be a warning, followed by a ban if it continues. Repeated offenders will receive a permanent ban.

This saddens me more than you realise. I really hoped this forum would not end up like many others, as historically this has been a very friendly place.

Jim
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:33 am

Supported Jim

I make a point of saying to anyone I meet how open and decent the forum is (especially when compared to others out there)

No idea who or what the content/context was but sometimes the moderation does need to remind us what’s acceptable and what’s not

:thumbsup:
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

texasjohn

Offensive posts

Post by texasjohn » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:35 am

Sorry you've had to step in, it is a pain in the ass being a moderator I would imagine.

I've been on here for years, mostly lurking, and I don't recall many (if any) posts that have been rude. I think I told someone that the Z4 M40i was ugly but that was on the FB group...The new shape is growing on me, though, and I've had a B58 so I know it's a great engine. I also tend to call that colour thundercunt purple. But not in polite company :D I never had an issue with my first Z4M being called dogshit brown, on that note!

Probably an example of pushing the boundaries. I'll find out next time I log in!
Last edited by texasjohn on Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gone: Z4 3.0i SMG Titanium Silver/Black, Z4MR Sepang Bronze/Sepang, Z4MR Silver Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:41 am

Thank you Jim, there is a line and it was definitely crossed on this occasion.
Like Stuart, I tell everyone I meet to join the forum as it is an incredible source of knowledge and support.
For someone taking that recommendation to then be confronted with some of the blatant abuse that has gone on this week is extremely embarrassing for us all.
I hope lessons are learned from this, not just by the perpetrators but every active member.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:46 am

Temporary bans is a sensible way forward IMHO. Don't think the forum is going the way of many others, to be honest. It is still and will remain extremely friendly for the vast majority of the time in my view.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Special Kay

Offensive posts

Post by Special Kay » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:51 am

bigwinn wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:33 am Supported Jim

I make a point of saying to anyone I meet how open and decent the forum is (especially when compared to others out there)

No idea who or what the content/context was but sometimes the moderation does need to remind us what’s acceptable and what’s not

:thumbsup:
I concur with Bigwin. :thumbsup:

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am

It’s always a shame when a very small pathetic minority spoil it for the sensible majority

smorris_12

Offensive posts

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:07 am

Nothing much to add other than keep up the good work, Jim!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:55 am

As others have said. :thumbsup: Friendly banter is nice but it was becoming quite nasty again, had I just joined and not seen the nice side I would have thought 'What the hell is this'.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

IRD

Offensive posts

Post by IRD » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:02 pm

This Forum gives me a great deal of pleasure and has also provided lots of help in a variety of ways. Long may it continue and many thanks to those who run it for our benefit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Offensive posts

Post by buzyg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:50 pm

A good move Jim. Us members can only do so much when we read the sort of thread you took this action over. I hope you don't have to take this further. By some way this is the best car forum I have been a member of. :thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Offensive posts

Post by inkey$ » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 pm

Not much more to add really but do agree with all thats been said on this thread. And thank you Jim, for all you do for the forum.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

jock156

Offensive posts

Post by jock156 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:43 pm

w****r :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Only kidding Jim! :D

coldel

Offensive posts

Post by coldel » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:12 pm

Sorry to hear this, I mustve been reading all threads but those with the aggro on because I have only ever seen good natured banter and chat.

Having been admin on another forum for a few years I totally understand the time effort and sometimes child like behaviour you have to put up with behind the scenes. So can only say a big thanks to the team that run the forum and putting their time in for free to keep it running for those that enjoy it.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

DMike

Offensive posts

Post by DMike » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:34 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:46 am Temporary bans is a sensible way forward IMHO. Don't think the forum is going the way of many others, to be honest. It is still and will remain extremely friendly for the vast majority of the time in my view.
+1, let’s embrace the good spirit we have after all.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey