Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Indicator Failure

Fullspeedahead

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Fullspeedahead » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:08 am

My near side rear indicator failed this week so I naively thought It would just be a bulb change. How wrong can you be?
Thanks to the help on this forum I now realise I need to change the entire unit (thanks BMW, great design) and this morning had a quote from Sopers of Lincoln for £353.92. As if that wasn’t painful enough, the current delivery estimate is 16th August meaning my car will be off the road for the best part of 4 weeks if I’m lucky.
Question for members - does anyone have experience of repairing these units? It seems grossly wasteful that the entire unit has to be binned for the sake of one minor electrical fault.

Phoenixboy

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:27 am

moisture gets in to the rear of the unit and messes up the led indicator strip.
you can try popping open the rear flap and stick a hair dryer in to dry out the moisture.
its a temporary solution that worked for me until i got a replacement unit.
look on ecp for deals, much cheaper than bmw and its a magnet marelli unit which is oem.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Chippie

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Chippie » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:30 am

Here’s a link to a YouTube video repairing the indicator.
https://youtu.be/gVAMzZlmLs0
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

matsmith749

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by matsmith749 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 am

I tried all sorts of repairs on mine years ago when I had the first design indicators on a previous car.

What looked like a tint amount of water ingress actually amounted to maybe 200ml when I removed the fitting & tipped it all out.

Went to town on drying it out, but made little difference.

The good news is that the new design (looks the same, but subtley different) fixes the problem.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Fullspeedahead

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Fullspeedahead » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:15 pm

Thanks all, for your very helpful responses. For info I took the unit out this morning and found it had already been bodged by a previous owner and it has been left as a completely unsealed unit. No wonder moisture was getting in! I’ll try drying it out as suggested while I wait the 4 weeks for BMW to source a new one. In the meantime I’ll follow other suggestions to source from elsewhere, thanks again.

acm

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by acm » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:00 pm

As mentioned, they are made by Magnetti Marelli - Euro Car Parts have them listed at £270 (less a penny) - nearly twice what I paid 3 years ago, but they have none in stock either. Maybe a call might give you an idea when they will get some in stock.

I would also give Cheltenham BMW a call to see what discount you can get from them - they are usually pretty good to me (and others too), so might beat the price you got from Sopers. I never get any discount from my local BMW dealer :x

Depending upon when your original lights were made you may find they are three post attachment which was later changed to a two post attachment, meaning the central post hole will need sealing with tape if you have the three post attachment.

Not a difficult job to do and has been discussed at length on this forum.

Cheers!
Andy

Bmac

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Bmac » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:20 am

Still waiting for near side rear for 8 weeks now none in stock in GB or Germany apparently stopped making them.
lots of Z4 owners complaining on face book not happy at all :x
Z4 E89 23 i M-Sport highline in red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:16 pm

Goes to prove what an utterly bad design the tail lights have been.

Looks like someone needs to set up to rebuild them.
Main problem is getting the rear lens off.
Bonkers amount of electronics in the bottom that gets damp and shorts out.
Wouldn't mind the rear indicators aren't that visible slightly off centre.
BMW must have a pile of failed lamps.

RobbiZ4

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:04 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:16 pm Goes to prove what an utterly bad design the tail lights have been.
This is where this design came from as well as the production line is: Tolmezzo in Italy
https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... st-3279274

In total 12 generations where required to get this rounded design halfways stable. This can be seen on the parts label as addon of the partno:
"Partno-12" is the latest one.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:11 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:04 pm
flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:16 pm Goes to prove what an utterly bad design the tail lights have been.
This is where this design came from as well as the production line is: Tolmezzo in Italy

In total 12 generations where required to get this rounded design halfways stable. This can be seen on the parts label as addon of the partno:
Explains everything, i think the roof mechanism was designed in Italy, probably made there, looks almost same on some Ferraris.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:21 am

Explains everything, i think the roof mechanism was designed in Italy, probably made there, looks almost same on some Ferraris.
Italians seem into machine tools, presses, hydraulics, pneumatics.

RobbiZ4

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:39 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:21 am

Italians seem into machine tools, presses, hydraulics, pneumatics.
Not quite correct, only the tail lights are from Italy. :rofl:

The roof was developed and built by EDSCHA in Regensburg, northeast of Munich. Their convertible subsidiary now belongs to WEBASTO, also located next to Munich.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:02 pm

Looks like I have the same issue with my passenger side rear indicator as well on my 23i. It’s intermittent as sometimes it works fine then it goes to the blinking twitchy stage with 4 LED’s out, but if I just leave it indicating it can go back to being fine again until later in the drive going wrong again. I took it to my local BMW independent garage for a service yesterday and they confirmed it would be a replacement needed.

Problem is the light isn’t in stock anywhere despite this being a much needed part reading posts like this online etc. The garage equally drew a blank on the day which is a bit disconcerting as I would like it fixed asap they are going to ask around for me as they probably just looked online like I did initially.

OP did you receive your replacement by the date you mentioned? if so do you know where they got it? If anyone else has any leads it would be greatly appreciated.

63217191775 is the part number for reference and I’m UK based North West.

Nick2449

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick2449 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 pm

Nick1526 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:02 pm Looks like I have the same issue with my passenger side rear indicator as well on my 23i. It’s intermittent as sometimes it works fine then it goes to the blinking twitchy stage with 4 LED’s out, but if I just leave it indicating it can go back to being fine again until later in the drive going wrong again. I took it to my local BMW independent garage for a service yesterday and they confirmed it would be a replacement needed.

Problem is the light isn’t in stock anywhere despite this being a much needed part reading posts like this online etc. The garage equally drew a blank on the day which is a bit disconcerting as I would like it fixed asap they are going to ask around for me as they probably just looked online like I did initially.

OP did you receive your replacement by the date you mentioned? if so do you know where they got it? If anyone else has any leads it would be greatly appreciated.

63217191775 is the part number for reference and I’m UK based North West.
Yep and me
Oct 22 2nd Zed Orion Silver 2012 SDrive 2.0 Auto Oct 18 1st Zed Black 2006 2.5 Auto Roadster now with hardtop.

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:11 pm

Nick2449 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 pm Yep and me
What are we Nick's going to do with our Z4's :rofl: :headbang: :driving: