Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Indicator Failure

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 am

Perverse past time, every time i see a Zed, i check the tail lights for condensation, so does my former owner colleague.
So far i say 1/3 have damp in that is visible.
If you own Zed in Lincoln, plate starting S23.... car had damp in tail light.

RobbiZ4

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:12 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 am Perverse past time, every time i see a Zed, i check the tail lights for condensation, so does my former owner colleague.
:rofl:

Well, on each Z4 I'm allowed to open the trunk, I check the tail lights as well for
  • micro cracks below the indicator line
  • replaced tail lights
The crazy thing is, that if a tail light has been replaced in the past, in about 90% they are mounted the wrong way and the two oval seals have not been pulled into the trunk! That is the absolute invitation to get massive water into the trunk on rainy days. :o :headbang:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

warmasice

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by warmasice » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:12 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:12 pm
flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 am Perverse past time, every time i see a Zed, i check the tail lights for condensation, so does my former owner colleague.
:rofl:

Well, on each Z4 I'm allowed to open the trunk, I check the tail lights as well for
  • micro cracks below the indicator line
  • replaced tail lights
The crazy thing is, that if a tail light has been replaced in the past, in about 90% they are mounted the wrong way and the two oval seals have not been pulled into the trunk! That is the absolute invitation to get massive water into the trunk on rainy days. :o :headbang:

100% this. The seals need to be pulled inside of the sheet metal. If not, this is the cause of a lot of 'water in the boot' issues.
[/quote]

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:40 pm

The whole design is bonkers.
It needed a flat rubber seal that compresses against the body work.
People reinventing the wheel when it's not broken.
Then having lots of electronic components mounted at the bottom ready to short out with damp.
Because of the oval seals they used, it had to be made separate from rest of lamp, thus introducing another seal.
Then they used a open cell foam, like a bath sponge, instead of closed cell foam.
Whoever designed it needs sacking.

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:23 pm

I still haven’t been able to find a replacement but oddly the indicator has not had the fault at all the last 4 occasions I have driven the car over a 3 week period. I’ve probably jinxed it now by mentioning it but very confused as to whether I can just leave it as is or if I still need to somehow find the part in stock urgently still.

We have had heavy rain here a couple of times the last few weeks and there is condensation inside the indicator still but perhaps the initial problem dried out in the sun we had just at the start of September?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:25 pm

Well get it off and seal it.

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:17 pm

I’d be worried I’d make more of a mess of it at this point without anywhere to properly work on it or the tools/knowledge of what I’d be playing around with.

As long as it’s working I’ll get away with it as long as I can it may just have been a fluke it happened in the first place when I opened the boot up during rain.

If I’m off and the weather is right I’ll maybe rewatch the YouTube videos and take a look :fuelfire:

Fullspeedahead

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Fullspeedahead » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:47 pm

Well here we are, October and the MOT has expired. Still no light units available anywhere, so the car is now an ornament. I get that there are bigger problems in the world, and this is a very specific problem for those of us affected, by my God what an absolute shambles. I can’t drive my car because an indicator has failed? What a joke. Car will be sold as soon as I can source a new unit - I won’t be held to ransom for a spare part which is unavailable, and for a light unit that can’t be repaired.
BMW? Bloody rubbish.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... Redirect=y

Doesn't solve your problem quick, but see if there are some after market alternates.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:21 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... GB%21%21AB

https://www.dhgate.com/product/car-styl ... gJENfD_BwE
tail.jpg
tail.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Bit ugly but might get you back on the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxSHH0 ... EncoreAuto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTgGj7 ... l=DjBrambo
Just might be better quality than Magnetti's offering. :P

I now know why i saw a Zed in scrap yard on web with smoked tail lights, perhaps these.

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:22 pm

I’m still being very cautious about saying my indicator is fine now but since it seems to have dried out naturally in the sun I’ve had no issues with it.

I don’t even have visible condensation inside the strip any more. I’m just avoiding opening the boot while it’s raining which is when I think water first got inside and ran down the side etc.

The weather isn’t going to be on your side anymore but as a possible solution if you could remove the tail light and dry it out in a similar fashion you may also get the same benefit?

Can’t guarantee that we have had the same exact damage/issue and in my case I literally just left it outside did nothing and it’s ‘fixed’ so how you would dry it out internally at home I couldn’t say beyond just a warm room and see how it goes as it’s probably not wise to take it apart if you can help it, though there are videos of how to do so online.

I’m really sorry to see a fellow owner in a similar no way forward situation as I was and may still be in if things go wrong again. It’s not good that such an integral part doesn’t exist anywhere, especially with it being a known item to fail. Even with possible manufacturing and supply issues caused by world events. I would have thought this part would have to have at least some stock lying around somewhere.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:29 pm

100k cars, you think they made 200k sets of tail lights?

Bmac

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Bmac » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 pm

I'm fed up now, it works it don't work cant wait to get rid now sick of waiting :(
Z4 E89 23 i M-Sport highline in red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:37 pm

Nick1526

Rear Indicator Failure

Post by Nick1526 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 am

flybobbie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:29 pm 100k cars, you think they made 200k sets of tail lights?
No. I’m not going to pretend it’s a manufacturing priority or smart business model but I’d like to think that the part was at least available somewhere for those of us needing it. Even if it’s only because it’s an issue that effects me :rofl: