Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carplay Conundrum

DJ23

Carplay Conundrum

Post by DJ23 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:12 pm

I've recently bought a 2011 Z4 that has carplay fitted. My iphone 11 connects to the carplay, with the pop up display showing all the Apps. I can select different Apps using the idrive, google maps displays as does album artwork and my phone contacts.

Only problem is that on playing an album there is no sound. When I try to make a call, it doesn't use the car mic/speakers.

The carplay unit is hooked into the AUX jack. Looking at the multimedia sub menu AUX is selected and the volume is turned up on the AUX sub menu.

Am I missing anything obvious here? Everything seems to be connected and talking to one another, but clearly something is out.

Ta.

AnubisZed

Carplay Conundrum

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:21 am

So to determine if the AUX socket actually works plug something else into the socket and play some music, if you can hear it then it's something to do with the MMI box, if not then you've got an issue with the AUX socket.... time to investigate further physically. :thumbsup:

If it does play a sound then it'll be something wrong with the MMI, this could be as simple as the AUX lead may not be plugged into the MMI box loom (may have come out as it's a flying lead socket on the loom). There is also a volume out setting within the mmi box settings page.
The fact that you can adjust the AUX input on the iDrive menu screen means that it has recognised that something is plugged into it (it's not selectable if there is nothing plugged in).

So hopefully a little to go on there :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

matsmith749

Carplay Conundrum

Post by matsmith749 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:19 am

I occasionally get no sound on mine - everything looks like it is working, but silence.

I've found that flipping back to the standard BMW radio shows that it has actually been muted! just unmuting, then flipping back to carplay & all is fixed.

It's a minor annoyance that crops up maybe one trip in 10, and now I know the fix, it's a 10 second problem.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Carplay Conundrum

Post by B21 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:51 am

matsmith749 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:19 am I occasionally get no sound on mine - everything looks like it is working, but silence.

I've found that flipping back to the standard BMW radio shows that it has actually been muted! just unmuting, then flipping back to carplay & all is fixed.

It's a minor annoyance that crops up maybe one trip in 10, and now I know the fix, it's a 10 second problem.
I have the same issue..I think that's caused by some glitch in the MOST bus switching logic...

I think the OP had something slighltly more primitive happening in his 3.5mm audio jack version..IMHO
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Carplay Conundrum

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:19 pm

Gents, there is a known issue with Android Auto and Apple Music where sometimes on changing a song it will carry on playing but there is no sound. The remedy is to press the iDrive controller, which pauses the music, then press it again to restart it.
I wasn't aware this was an issue with CarPlay as well. I do know that it's got nothing to do with specific phones or any specific make of MMI box as I've had it on both of my boxes and all three phones that I've had in that time. :thumbsup:
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Carplay Conundrum

Post by B21 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:13 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:19 pm Gents, there is a known issue with Android Auto and Apple Music where sometimes on changing a song it will carry on playing but there is no sound. The remedy is to press the iDrive controller, which pauses the music, then press it again to restart it.
I wasn't aware this was an issue with CarPlay as well. I do know that it's got nothing to do with specific phones or any specific make of MMI box as I've had it on both of my boxes and all three phones that I've had in that time. :thumbsup:
I’ve seen that type of bug, albeit with YouTube music..I get a slightly different one ..if I use a native sound source played direct on the iDrive if I then go to try and play audio on the MMI it ‘plays’ but no sound…

I usually hold the idrive controller down for 10 seconds…when it reboots the sound is there…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

DJ23

Carplay Conundrum

Post by DJ23 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. Been away all weekend ( unfortunately not in my Z4 :| )

So the aux jack seems to work - I have an old adaptor I used in a 4 series I had a few years ago that worked when I swapped them out so thats good - and is now in the car as a standby.

I fiddled about with the setup menu on car play, disconnected and reconnected my phone and it now seems to play music which is great. Google maps seems to work as well, but not the phone - will appear to make outgoing calls but there is no ring tone/sound or connection. I wonder if its to do with my Siri settings (which isn't set up). I'll have a play with that later.

Also respect AnubisZed - watched you do a MMI fit on your BMW Z4 mods channel. Very impressive.

AnubisZed

Carplay Conundrum

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:49 pm

DJ23 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:25 pm Also respect AnubisZed - watched you do a MMI fit on your BMW Z4 mods channel. Very impressive.
:thumbsup: Glad you like my channel, it's there to help people do "stuff", so it's good that you've found it useful :driving:

As for your phone, check your bluetooth settings on the phone, check that it is set for "Calls & Media". If it's only set for "Media" then that'll be why, just change it on the calls as well. If it is set for both already, then you'll have to look further into the box settings menu.
Dave