Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Greetings from Northern Arizona!

First port of call for new members
Hummingbird13

Post by Hummingbird13 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:48 pm

Greetings from a new Z4 owner from the Northern Arizona area. Just pulled the trigger on a beautiful 2009 Z4 30i in Orion Silver with the Ivory White full leather interior. Only has 13K miles and is pristine. This is a very special car/purchase for me. Let me explain…

My wife and I moved from New England to Arizona in 2020 with the intention of finding a place we could enjoy and maybe retire to. As my wife approached 65, I wanted to get her a “retirement” present and I knew she always had eyes on the Z4. She’s never expressed a lot of interest in cars, but this one seemed to really catch her eye. Well 65 came and went and I wasn’t it a position to buy one at that point, but I was looking. As her 66th birthday approached, I put my plans in motion and started to look in earnest, doing research, looking at cars and deciding what I wanted.

Fast forward to the start of 2023 and my wife, who suffered from kidney failure and was on dialysis, was in and out of the hospital and experienced a number of medical problems. This doubled my efforts to make sure her birthday was gonna be special. Serious test drivers and dealer visits followed, but the right car just didn’t come up. Unfortunately, my wife passed away peacefully in late July, just over a month before her September birthday. I have been devastated by the loss of my soulmate of 28 years.

Just as I was dealing with all this, one of my search notices on CarGuru came in with a new listing for a Z4 in Tempe, AZ. Without really thinking about it, I checked it out and it was a unicorn of a Z4 with all the features I wanted and in a color and interior I had rarely seen. I talked to the dealer and made arrangements to see it this past weekend and was blown away by the car. The car is in as-new condition in a beautiful gold/silver color. The interior is gorgeous in full leather ivory white with the anthracite trim. It has the sports package and easy access group.

The deal was done yesterday and I will fly back from the funeral on the 28th and pick it up from the dealer. This is so exciting and I feel it was meant to be. While I certainly don’t need another car, it feels like this preordained. While my wife won’t get to drive it, I feel that her spirit will be with me each time I’m in it. It brings me to tears thinking about it.

Linda loved her hummingbirds and we feel they represent the spirits of family and pets who have passed. I have ordered a vanity plate (HUM BRD) for it and am searching for an airbrush artist who can paint a small hummingbird on the side fenders in her memory. This is gonna be a special car.

Thanks for letting me ramble on and for welcoming me to the group. I’ll have a number of questions once I get and learn the car. I appreciate great groups like these.

See you around!
Attachments
IMG_0968.jpeg
IMG_0968.jpeg (97.51 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans!

Pkrs1

Post by Pkrs1 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:52 pm

Unusual colour but very nice

Pkrs1

Post by Pkrs1 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:53 pm

Greetings from the other side of the lake here in 🇬🇧

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:38 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

So sorry to hear of your wife's passing, but it sounds like she'll be with you every time you drive your lovely looking Z4 so just enjoy it. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Hummingbird13

Post by Hummingbird13 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Thank you. I felt her spirit when I was test driving it. I’m sure she would have loved it. It’s a beautiful at and a pretty rate build from what I can determine.
Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:44 pm

Very touching…

I hope you have many miles and good memories in the car

Enjoy
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss, I’m sure Linda would love the car as much as you do. I think the colour is Orion Silver and is also my wife’s favourite colour :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:05 pm

Sad but inspiring story. She'll be with you every time you drive it.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:57 pm

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall. Loving the Colour combo. 8) :thumbsup: