Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ticking noise on the rear passenger wheel

alloyalex

Post by alloyalex » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:28 pm

I've had a ticking noise on the rear passenger wheel for over a year now and I haven't been able to identify the issue. Wonder if anyone has had the same?

Since the noise started, work I've had includes refitting the OEM springs back on (previously had a set eibach coilovers), new brakes and discs, wheel bearing, and new tires and no luck.

Took it into BMW the other day and they have suggested leaving it with them for a few days so a mechanic can drive it around but here is a video they took. The car does have spacers but these are on tight and shouldn't be causing a issue.

https://video.citnow.com/vpyQWdGzXZR

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:16 am

Thought that was going to be video of ticking noise.

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:39 am

alloyalex wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:28 pm I've had a ticking noise on the rear passenger wheel for over a year now and I haven't been able to identify the issue.
The car does have spacers but these are on tight and shouldn't be causing a issue.
Did the noise start when the spacers were installed? If so there's a chance your extended wheel bolts are slightly too long and are fouling something, perhaps the handbrake mech inside the hub.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:43 pm

My money is on a stone in the tyre! :P
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

alloyalex

Post by alloyalex » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:08 pm

[/quote]
Did the noise start when the spacers were installed? If so there's a chance your extended wheel bolts are slightly too long and are fouling something, perhaps the handbrake mech inside the hub.
[/quote]
could be the handbrake, spacers have been on for a few years now so dont think its the bolts.

back to BMW i suppose !