Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash display external light fail

Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:13 am

Recently had an issue when I’m traveling along, out of the blue a warning light comes up with a bulb sign in amber indicating I have an external light falling?? Checked all lights and they appear to be fine?? Anyone have this problem thanks

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:04 am

Alfiedog wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:13 am Recently had an issue when I’m traveling along, out of the blue a warning light comes up with a bulb sign in amber indicating I have an external light falling?? Checked all lights and they appear to be fine?? Anyone have this problem thanks
Often poor contacts on the fitting can cause an issue…a fault code reader if you dint have idrive will tell you which bulb / contacts is the issue
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:01 pm

Yes BMWs' bulb monitoring do seem to be rather sensitive. I had it for months sporadically on an E92. Never found the cause. I just unplugged every external light, cleaned the contacts on both ends and put them back. It did solve it just don't know which one it was. :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:41 pm

Check rear brake light bulbs, they just push in to socket.
Also could be random damp in tail lights, do they have condensate or mold in bottom.

Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:12 pm

Thanks for all suggestions I have plugged a code fault reader into the car but no error codes detected 👍 just been out for a long run and absolutely nothing so it’s probably sorted itself out as all lights are working fine 👏 cheers everybody

Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:17 pm

Talking of rear lights my offside unit is dull and looks grubby compared to near side cluster so I’ve considered buying a new unit . There’s some on eBay listed as US spec rear light unit from Poland . These are the only ones I can find as I imagine original units from the BMW dealership is rather expensive, these are £300 delivered. Are they ok as they are described as US spec ?? Any thoughts welcome 🙏🏻