Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Post by Jasonn » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:18 pm

Afternoon zedders,

I had my system coded a couple of years ago so that I could stream music direct from my phone (S22 Ultra) and it works fine, I can control volume, skip etc from the steering wheel.

I'm about to start a new job so might be using the radio more (I was working in the sticks so radio reception was a bit patchy). I've noticed that when I'm using the radio I don't get the Bluetooth alerts from "Camsam"... It's really helpful in letting me know where the accident blackspots are and that they're bad enough to need a speed camera 😉.

Is there any hidden setting that I haven't been able to find that plays the warnings through the in car sound system? The phone works perfectly when I'm using the radio so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I'm just really safety conscious so knowing where the "safety" cameras are is helpful

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Post by B21 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:34 pm

AFAIK you can't blend bluetooth audio with the radio or any other input..the only way would be to listen to streaming radio via your phone where it can overlay other audio inputs...
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Jasonn

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Post by Jasonn » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:49 pm

That's what I was afraid of - I did a lot of Google searching and couldn't get an answer - I didn't know whether anyone else had a solution/workaround which didn't rely on mobile data

matsmith749

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 am

When I shifted to Android Auto / Apple carplay (tried both) I was concerned about data use for the streaming radio too.

Turns out it is actually pretty tiny!

I don't use the car as much as some - maybe driving for 6 hours a week. But for all of that time, google maps is running & BBC sounds is hitting me up with the very best of Radio 4.

Typical month is less than 1GB data use.

If you commuted an hour each way every day, plus weekend errands, you may be looking at 2GB.

I had got a data upgrade to 50GB a month as I thought it would be mega - at least it was cheap, but no worries regards data IMHO.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Jasonn

Aaarghh Bluetooth

Post by Jasonn » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:07 am

I was steering to the internet radio option, I didn't know that it wasn't a data hog (I've got unlimited data).

My job means that the Zed is a mobile office, previously I worked out in the sticks so 10-20 miles of twisty lanes between visits is fun, unfortunately the new job is in south London, so loads of cameras, speed bumps and cyclists. I'm starting to miss the tractors, unadopted roads and suicidal wildlife already