Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NEW 20MPH SPEED LIMITS COMING TO WALES NEXT WEEK

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:28 pm

So here's the thing, surely this 20 mph thing is absolutely BS in regards to pollution reduction. My thinking is it will possibly INCREASE pollution.
My reasoning being as follows.
Example used my Van.
At 70 mph in 6th gear my engine revolution is 2100 Rpm
At 30 mph I can get it into 5th gear ...just....At 2000 Rpm
At 20 mph I need to use 2nd gear at 2200 Rpm
At 20mph I'll be crossing town SLOWER but with the SAME or slightly MORE RPM hence causing MORE POLLUTION as well as lower MPG so having to burn more fuel .
My concern is that these slower speeds will increase pollution in built up areas and the environmental monitoring services will use it as an excuse to completely BAN non electric cars......so is this a scam in more ways than meets the eye OR is the above completely incorrect? I'm not an engineer guy so maybe someone can explain if I'm wrong? :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:46 pm

I tend to agree with you. On the flat I would think slower is cleaner because you can stick it in 5th or 6th at low speed. But it drives me nuts when I have to change down because of slow driver going up hills. A complete waste of energy.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:24 pm

What gets me is that 20mph is the equivalent of walking along with your shoelaces tied together.

This obsessive compulsive disorder to endlessly lower speed limits is going to end up bringing back the man with the red flag.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:30 pm

We’ve had these 20 mph for a few years now..road safety is the primary argument..

Here they’ve now introduced tiered speed limits ie 40mph 30 mph down to 20mph in larger areas to avoid a complete crawl against larger areas…

It’s a pain especially as quite a few speedos are more inaccurate at that speed…I often follow Grockles at 16mph… :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

More info here

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/200 ... ber%202020.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:45 pm

As Clarkson once said 'too much time looking at the speedometer and not at the road'. Also could be used to introduce more ULEZ.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Please not ULEZ..... :sick2:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:38 pm

I feel for you. :cry:

They've been around in quite a few London Boroughs for years, but thankfully I don't have to go there any more. :)

Puts me off visiting Wales a bit too!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:21 pm

Shame I used to enjoy and look forward to my drive up to Aberystwyth, taking my sons stuff backwards and forwards to the University. Lovely road.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Still of the opinion the speed does not kill, bad driving does.

Example but open to argument albeit light hearted please, which is the safer,

A perfectly good car being driven at 20mph by a novice driver or just your average idiot or the same car on the same bit of road being driven at 40mph by Lewis Hamilton?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:03 pm

Lewis Hamilton would want to be 1st at every junction so would be overtaking :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: everyone

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:10 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:03 pm Lewis Hamilton would want to be 1st at every junction so would be overtaking everyone
If you are first in the queue, you are causing the queue. :D
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:21 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 pm Still of the opinion the speed does not kill, bad driving does.
Almost agree with that. My view is that speed does not kill, it is the inability to stop that kills, and by that I mean that most people do not plan far enough ahead or behind to see or anticipate danger and their inability causes then to react late. Looking at the right-hand lane on any Motorway you will see the greatest number of skid marks due to people driving too close and not reacting quickly enough. Laws have to be made to insure that the vast number of poor drivers have a better chance of stopping, hence the low speed limits in force in a growing number of cities.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:32 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 pm A perfectly good car being driven at 20mph by a novice driver or just your average idiot or the same car on the same bit of road being driven at 40mph by Lewis Hamilton?
No idea what Hamilton would be like in a road car. If Silverstone had traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, parked cars and Max Verstappen coming the other way, then we might find out. :D Stirling Moss did not need to take an L driving test, but did so for the publicity. He failed. He also failed a scooter test and rode on L plates for a long time. :(

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:32 pm He failed. He also failed a scooter test and rode on L plates for a long time.
I didn't know that!

When I took my bike test in 1976 I think the only way you could fail was to get lost, fall off, or mess up the Highway Code questions! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:48 pm

I always thought that speed cameras were a bad idea especially when we are told they are there because it is an accident black spot.
So now in this accident black spot people are driving looking at the speedo instead of the road so they do not trigger the camera.
How does this make the accident black spot safer.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)