Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter storage advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Idlfc

Winter storage advice

Post by Idlfc » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:05 pm

Planning ahead (whilst is sunny I know)
and I think I will be taking the Z4 off the road for winter this year as i have a company car

I've looked around and seen lots of covers and chargers but cant narrow anything specific down that I need

I need a cover that will allow the car to stand on my driveway as the garage is full
(I would prefer not to have something cheap generic from Halfords) but again don't want to pay massively over the odds' so anyone that has one and could recommend would one they use would be appreciated

I also need a trickle charger for the battery and I've seen a few but I need the lead to be longer that what appears to be the standard 1m length and the power will be coming out from the garage under the cover and into the engine bay - its the length that just as important as the quality of the product

I'm also after any advice that you can give me for leaving parked up for 4-5 months
for example I've been told not to leave the handbrake on to stop it seizing
Can it be left off or would it better to start the engine every month etc

so any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks Ian
Attachments
Z4 new.jpg
Z4 new.jpg (262.16 KiB) Viewed 604 times

Christopher72

Winter storage advice

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:40 pm

Why leave it out in the elements if it's not being used for months? Theres always a barn or storage units that are fairly inexpensive to rent and assuming you cancel insurance while it's stored, may be a wash in price.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

DonDon

Winter storage advice

Post by DonDon » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:40 pm

Ctek do a great range of chargers. You can attach this https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... -eyelet-m6 to have a permanent connection and use a zip tie to keep the connector from flapping around.

They also do an extension lead that will go onto that connector. I don't know if it really matters, but they say to only use one extension lead.

That will allow you to have the charger inside the garage (depending on the distance), or you could put the charger under the car cover (and hidden from view) and just use an ordinary mains extension lead.
2013 E89 28i auto

Christopher72

Winter storage advice

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:53 pm

I use the NOCO Genius 5 in the USA. There's a UK version with the massive UK plug. https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GENIUS5U ... 0828HLDZC/. It has a solid AGM trickle charge setting and a modular connection with extension (https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GC004-X-C ... 004LWV0GQ/). This unit can easily be positioned and fastened inside the engine bay. I've' not chosen to do that.

For long storage in wind and weather, you may want a cover that doesn't mess up your car with rub marks -- Or a combination of covers.

Cheap covers like this one, ~$60, are waterproof but don't protect the car from themselves.

The BMW garage cover isn't waterproof, is stretch fitted, so it doesn't move around, runs 4x cost, and softer than most comfy clothes that I wear:

I keep mine stored inside with a garage cover in the winter in a storage unit with power. Last year I just used the soft cover since I had a storage unit that looked pretty watertight -- this year I may add the waterproof cover over it.

Some will say to put the car on jack stands to unspring the weight and prevent flat spots on tires, or park on a tire cradle (wheel savers), or carpet, etc. I keep mine on jack stands when stored for longer than a month.

The more important issue is pest control. Depending on the environment, a cold car is a nice warm refuge for pests. If your storage units don't have pest control, purchase your own. Outside that may be more of a challenge.
Christopher
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Winter storage advice

Post by B21 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:26 pm

Don’t leave the EFB on..it will weld the rear pads to the disc..

No worries with long term storage provided said trickle charger is used..or every 4 weeks you charge it..

As others said quite a few have been nibbled so careful on mice etc

A decent fitting cover with a liner is IMHO a must to avoid wind induced scratching of paint.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Winter storage advice

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:39 pm

I'd say a trickle charger like a Ctek is a must. I SORN'd my Z4 for a month and sure enough the battery died. :roll:
And I left it in gear with the handbrake off!

I can't see the point of driving it once a month - strictly speaking it can't be on SORN if you do that!

I've never been a fan of covers after seeing the rubbing paint can get on the corners of wings, etc. if it gets windy. Rain isn't really a problem, it's when the rain has road dirt and/or salt in it that things deteriorate.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

k755

Winter storage advice

Post by k755 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:22 am

Mine sits out all year with a Stormcover as previous inferior product let water in just after the warranty ran out (12 months). Only purchased a few months ago but no problems during wet July. Nice soft lining so wont scratch paint and a good fit so no flapping when windy a I live on the coast. You get what you pay for! +1 0n a trickle charger and hand break off.

Idlfc

Winter storage advice

Post by Idlfc » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:42 am

Many thanks everyone for their input

mcbutler

Winter storage advice

Post by mcbutler » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 pm

Idlfc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:05 pm Planning ahead (whilst is sunny I know)
and I think I will be taking the Z4 off the road for winter this year as i have a company car

I've looked around and seen lots of covers and chargers but cant narrow anything specific down that I need

I need a cover that will allow the car to stand on my driveway as the garage is full
(I would prefer not to have something cheap generic from Halfords) but again don't want to pay massively over the odds' so anyone that has one and could recommend would one they use would be appreciated

I also need a trickle charger for the battery and I've seen a few but I need the lead to be longer that what appears to be the standard 1m length and the power will be coming out from the garage under the cover and into the engine bay - its the length that just as important as the quality of the product

I'm also after any advice that you can give me for leaving parked up for 4-5 months
for example I've been told not to leave the handbrake on to stop it seizing
Can it be left off or would it better to start the engine every month etc

so any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks Ian
Just park it in the garage, run it once a month it'll do no damage, cover if it you have to.
Its a modern car it'll be fine.
Dont get bogged down in the anal crap (no pun intended) i.e. jack it up so tyres don't deform!!!!
If you need a trickle charger Lidl do an excellent one for around £15
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Winter storage advice

Post by mcbutler » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:08 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:40 pm Why leave it out in the elements if it's not being used for months? Theres always a barn or storage units that are fairly inexpensive to rent and assuming you cancel insurance while it's stored, may be a wash in price.
When did you last rent a barn!
Average residential garage rentals are well over £100 a month now, a lot more if you want power.
I am seeing garages with workshops at over £500 down here in Devon
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

deltasierra

Winter storage advice

Post by deltasierra » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:24 pm

I’ve had a few soft tops and now I’ve built a car port to keep the worst of the rain off, previously not only green algae on the roof but also damp inside has been a problem. Then I try to use it most weeks year round, sitting outdoors without any protection does cars no good at all.

Christopher72

Winter storage advice

Post by Christopher72 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:33 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:08 pm When did you last rent a barn!
Last year. Not a WHOLE barn :lol: , just a "can I park this here for a few months, what'llya need for that?"
I live in a township in Ohio, not even a city. A barn is the official historical structure of this state.. there are a ton of them. Even more ppl with steel pole barns
Christopher

SSF

Winter storage advice

Post by SSF » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:49 pm

Why would you buy a hardtop convertible and treat it like a ragtop? I drive it the whole winter when I can; I actually prefer it in the winter because it's rwd and fun to drive in the snow.
2016 E89 28i | Melbourne red | Kansas / Canberra beige

Christopher72

Winter storage advice

Post by Christopher72 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:40 pm

SSF wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:49 pm Why would you buy a hardtop convertible and treat it like a ragtop? I drive it the whole winter when I can; I actually prefer it in the winter because it's rwd and fun to drive in the snow.
That's cool - That's how I learned the difference between summer and all-season tires - the hard way :headbang: ... several of my E46 convertibles I ran all year and they were ragtops. For some of us, these are seasonal cars, not because of any limitation of the E89, just because we have other cars. I use an AWD SUV to deal with Ohio late fall and early winter.... or rainy days... or big flocks of birds.... :o
Christopher

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Winter storage advice

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:13 pm

Fill the fuel tank as full as possible, trickle charge, handbrake off - Do Not start the car unless absolutely necessary!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: