Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK "NETT ZERO" ENERGY POLICY VERY TROUBLING

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:08 am

The old adage, if one person gives you a penny it is nothing, if everyone in the whole world gives you a penny…….

But alas, Governments with large and/or poor populations have more pressing concerns than climate change.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 am

As a world, we have bigger problems than climate change. Russian and muslim terrorists need to be dealt with, including their supporters.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:20 am

Nanu wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:48 pm In addition, if as some state, we are responsible for all these greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, what happens to the flora, fauna and the sea life, which feeds on CO2 and turns it into the oxygen that we need if we stop producing CO2?
This is a lovely example of unsound reasoning[1].

Posit: Trees consume CO2
Posit: We produce CO2

Inference: Therefore, if we stop producing CO2 the trees die

The faults are:

1) There is always naturally occurring CO2
2) While flora wants CO2, it can be poisoned by an excess of it

This is the sort of simple minded stuff seen everywhere these days in our sound bite culture and used to massive advantage by those out to make a quick buck, sow division or run for government.

[1] Not being accusatory, I just like fallacious logic
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:04 pm

Sound logic actually. At least you agree that CO2 is produced naturally which we can do nothing about.

The CO2 (Carbon cycle) is a little more complex however. The more CO2 in the atmosphere, the more plants especially trees produce more green growth in the form of leaves but less fruit / flowers/ seeds. The outcome however is they take more CO2 out of the atmosphere and replace more oxygen.

Over time the levels of CO2 drop and with it leaf and oxygen production. Because the trees are under more stress they produce more fruit /flowers / seeds but take less CO2 out of the atmosphere so those levels rise again. And so the cycle repeats itself with one lagging behind the other for several years.

it would appear we at a point in the cycle with CO2 being high but nature will catch up.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:01 pm

Does that mean I don't have to by one of those bloody awful SUV EVs everyone is pushing at me? :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:16 pm

Nanu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:04 pm it would appear we at a point in the cycle with CO2 being high but nature will catch up.
Have you seen long term graphs of atmospheric CO2? We’re not really in a cyclic pattern anymore, we’ve sort of shot off into the heavens.

I think you are confusing the short term carbon cycle, which involves trees and plants, with the long term one involving the fossilisation of marine life, geological processes etc.

Agree that the rest of nature will probably still catch up, but at this rate it might need us to go away first.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 pm

Blame Brazil :|

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:09 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 am As a world, we have bigger problems than climate change. Russian and muslim terrorists need to be dealt with, including their supporters.
Can't see that will ever happen as the west is too weak kneed. It knew what was going to happen with Ukrain but sat back and let it happen, as for the Arab states they've been at it for eternity and it will carry on for eternity, it's not the west's fight.

Tim.

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:31 am

I had air source Fujisi heat pumps when I lived in New Zealand (installed new as no other options except wood burner) and it was great for blowing cold air in the summer, worked OK in autumn n spring but was hopeless in mid winter, just blew a tepid draught throughout the bungalow we lived in. Oh, and in sub zero temperatures it would often cut out as the wind chill from the large fans caused a ice build up.
In a word.......PANTS......I'll stick to my woodburner n oil boiler thanks :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:16 am

The bungalow I live in was built in 1971 and the heating system was warm air, think it was a thing in the 70s so you had ducting in the floors and walls with grills and a small gas burner. It was an awful heating system being noisy as it relied on a fan to push the air around and was an all or nothing warmth, dog used to like sleeping over the grill in the floor though 😀 They were basically just a large fan heater as soon it switched off the temp would drop like a stone.

Tim.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:27 pm

'
TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 pm Blame Brazil

I blame France, for no other reason other than the French live there :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:06 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:27 pm '
TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 pm Blame Brazil

I blame France, for no other reason other than the French live there :D
Lying in bed thinking can bed bugs swim :?

Tim.

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:01 am

TitanTim wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:16 am The bungalow I live in was built in 1971 and the heating system was warm air, think it was a thing in the 70s so you had ducting in the floors and walls with grills and a small gas burner. It was an awful heating system being noisy as it relied on a fan to push the air around and was an all or nothing warmth, dog used to like sleeping over the grill in the floor though 😀 They were basically just a large fan heater as soon it switched off the temp would drop like a stone.

Tim.
l used to maintain them back in the day and pulling the fans and filters was a horrible job, especially if the house had cats n dogs, the dust levels were beyond!!! They also were responsible for lots of breathing problems. Fortunately the last one I serviced was over 20 years ago.

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:03 am

I guess I should rea :rofl: d back the comments as I've know idea how we've ended up at warm air heating and drowning bed bugs in France????!!!

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:07 am

On a lighter note..........(this'll kick things off again) ....mortgage lenders are going to stop remortgages or increase the premiums on houses without high EPC efficiency certificates.......yep.......YOU WILL COMPLY
This could make non complying properties un saleable......... :punch: