Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Into the unknown

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jock156

Into the unknown

Post by jock156 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Enjoy it mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:29 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm And you still think your 17 year old daughter is yours?
We start early in the fens! Nothing else to do in the evenings! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by TitanTim » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:35 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm And you still think your 17 year old daughter is yours? :lol:
:rofl:

Tim.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:25 am Work hard mate and you too could be able to jump ship early.
I will bear that in mind. Luckily I'm only 23! :D
That would explain the choice of car. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

IRD

Into the unknown

Post by IRD » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:34 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:14 am Spent last week doing some serious maths and future planning.
Woke this morning to my first day of official retirement! A great feeling. :D
Seen too many friends and family pass too soon and decided to live for the day.
So here I go into a life of holidays and rescuing zeds.
Also plan to start by doing all the long distance paths in Norfolk.

No more juggling dates to fit things in; you want your zed fixed on a weekday, I should be able to help now.

Off to celebrate my 59th in Barbados next week, but I'll be back on the 9th October and the fixing can start.
Truly, in no time at all you will wonder where you found the time to go to work Martin. Make the most of it because you don’t know what’s round the next bend. 👍

obewan

Into the unknown

Post by obewan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:52 pm

Enjoy :thumbsup:

I retired around the same age, 5 years ago now and I can't believe how quick the time has gone by, but loving every minute
It took me about 3-4 weeks to utter the words "I don't know how I found time to go to work!" :D
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:34 pm

obewan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:52 pm Enjoy :thumbsup:

I retired around the same age, 5 years ago now and I can't believe how quick the time has gone by, but loving every minute
It took me about 3-4 weeks to utter the words "I don't know how I found time to go to work!" :D
Yup, don't think I'll be bored for a while at least.
Train trip to Great Malvern tomorrow to collect another zed project (Maldives 2.5i), then Wednesday to Norwich to repair a wiper motor.
Once back from my hols I have my current project 2.2i to sort out, then the new one to do.
One in Norwich needs a full service and all new discs and pads, one in Yarmouth wants the roof motor relocated, my apprentice over the road has an intermiitent EML and limp mode which sounds like a new DME, chap down Essex way is coming to get his airbag recoded.................

I don't know how I'd find time to go to work! :D

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

jock156

Into the unknown

Post by jock156 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:50 pm

:rofl:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Into the unknown

Post by B21 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:10 pm

sars wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:44 am Congratulations on retiring at 59 :thumbsup:

I don't envy any of you retiring early because I love the job that I do and the people I do it with, and I guess that's the difference. If you wake up every morning and think, I really don't want to go to work today, early retirement is definitely for you.
I thought that but it’s one of those till you cross the rubicon and look from the other side of you realise / value your decision..

I used to work a 70-80 hour week building up a very successful business..I now realise I was just hastening the end as I prioritised that over friends, family, health etc ..

The more practical issue is how to get yourself into a position financially where you can afford to retire and still have enough money for toys and other things you want to do..

By the time you realise this the dice have already rolled..probably..

I’m so so glad I bailed out of the treadmill when I did..

For some the concept of not working a 40+ hour week are incomprehensible….if they can’t manage that transition then for sure it’s not a good move..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by TitanTim » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:34 pm

I know everyone is different, I guess there are alsorts of reasons why you would or wouldn't want to retire early. I get the impression from chatting to various people the past 12 months that for some they perhaps want to retire but have this view it can mean the end of a useful part of your life and almost afraid to face that it could mean waking up in the morning with a dread of what am I going to do today. I know of one or two people are genuinely afraid of that scenario. I find that quite sad that you rely on work to almost justify your existence :cry:

Look at it that any form of retirement is a new beginning, more to life than work especially if you can escape it.

Tim.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 pm

Sandals? Pfft, for you tourists.

We stay in our friends beachfront condo for the price of a dinner at Champers. :P

If we are ever there at the same time, I'll introduce your wife to the best dive boat on the island. :D
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:01 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 pm We stay in our friends beachfront condo for the price of a dinner at Champers. :P
You said that was in St Lucia?
I can't believe you have two friends. :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Into the unknown

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:12 pm

Congratulations Martin. :cheers:

I took workplace pensions early and stopped working when I was 56 and it's the best thing I ever did! :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Into the unknown

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:12 pm

Never been to St Lucia mate, but we do have two sets of friends who own Condos at Sapphire beach and we have stayed in both.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Hilly30si

Into the unknown

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 pm

Enjoy mate, it’s the greatest feeling.
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster