Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Missing Comforts Would Be Deal Breakers ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:02 pm

It's a pet hate of mine. BMWs have loads of these comforts that in my opinion don't improve the drive of the 'ultimate driving machine'. And when they breakdown, and breakdown they do, it's a PITA and expensive to repair. For example, the electronic boot release and close mechanisms. Just the other day there was a bloke on the US site that couldn't open his boot. Even with the key. He finally figured it out with the help from the community. But blame electronic comforts.

But BMWs, especially the E89, are marketed as luxurious vehicles. They must have bling and comforts. It comes with the territory.

So what missing comforts would be a deal breakers for you, that would make you look at Audi, Merc, Lexus, Jag, etc ?

OK, I would not buy a car without aircon. But fancy self-adjustable seats don't make a difference to me.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:16 pm

Funnily enough, when I bought my orange E89 I decided I did want a manual gearbox, but I didn't need parking sensors, electric seats, folding mirrors, comfort access, satnav etc.
So I guess I got the perfect car for me, but if I ever wanted to sell it I suspect Mr & Mrs Picky would try to knock the price down.
Can you imagine how disgusted I was when after owning it for two weeks I discovered it had a heated steering wheel? :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:19 pm

Lack of automatic headlights and wipers would be deal stoppers for me. Oh and air-conditioning especially in a non convertible car.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:22 pm

I only have an E85 but if I bought a E89 I would want red msport heated seats, parking sensors back and front and 18" wheels. Manual gearbox and air con. Not bothered about auto lights and wipers or electrically adjustable seats.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:42 pm

I've only had E86s and while I find some of the options useful only a lack of A/C would be a deal breaker for me.

If I was considering an E89 I'd want front and rear PDC, but I won't be considering one because of the roof issues and electronic handbrake. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:10 pm

Top of my list was electric folding mirrors as the entrance to my garage is tight.

As it turned out an E89 fits in the garage without the need to fold the mirrors in which is just as well as it would be a challenge reversing it out without the use of mirrors. The car didn’t have heated seats which appears to be a ‘must have’ for most buyers but I found ok even in the middle of winter with the roof down.
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:19 pm

Maybe it’s just as well that BMW offered most things as options judging by the above responses.. :poke:

Of course one issue how do you know that you don’t miss an option if you’ve never had it? :tumbleweed:

For example I thought electrically adjusted seats were a waste of time…but I learnt on a long journey that being able to easily do minor changes helped relieve and aches n pains..but then again if you don’t drive 250 miles 6 hour days then maybe it’s not required..

Each to their own..

For me on any car it’s auto, cruise, PDC, air con, leather, nav, iPod support, decent audio and on the E89 heated seats..

Nice to have

Electric seats, auto air con, folding mirrors, heated mirrors

Not bothered

Auto lights of any type

Cup holders
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 pm

Oh, I forgot about cup holders and heated mirrors. :thumbsup: Also my wife's car has a heated windscreen but only available on Fords I think. :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:16 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:19 pm automatic headlights and wipers
MikeyH wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:22 pm msport heated seats, parking sensors back and front
biZ4rreMids wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:10 pm electric folding mirrors
MikeyH wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 pm cup holders and heated mirrors.
All very cool comfort items, but having heard of repairs estimates and bills, I sometimes wish mine didn't have them. (Mine doesn't have parking sensors.)
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:20 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:19 pm Maybe it’s just as well that BMW offered most things as options judging by the above responses.. :poke:
In hindsight, I wish I was more educated on options, and picked up a used 35is with fewer options. I love the DCT and paddleshifting, though. It was the key reason for choosing the 35is. I know the 35i came with DCT, but the 35is 'seemed' more appealing.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:24 pm

My E85 doesn't have parking sensors either and I haven't had any problems with the rear but I have caught the front and I think sensors would have helped me. The rear of the E89 is a lot higher I think?

obewan

Post by obewan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:27 pm

I'm with B21 :thumbsup:
And cup holders? Personally I've never used them or got the attraction :idunno: but each to their own I guess
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 pm Oh, I forgot about cup holders and heated mirrors. :thumbsup: Also my wife's car has a heated windscreen but only available on Fords I think. :thumbsdown:
Heated seats / PDC but more importantly a roof that fold away, for me the rest I can live without even audio is not that important

Think heated screens are available on more models now.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Definitely air con. But many of the others can be added later if you really want them. There are always lots items for sale here. On my last E85 I had MSports heated seats added, the dashboard carbon dipped, the standard wheel recovered by Royal’s, new CSL style wheels etc..

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:06 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 pm
MikeyH wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 pm Oh, I forgot about cup holders and heated mirrors. :thumbsup: Also my wife's car has a heated windscreen but only available on Fords I think. :thumbsdown:
Heated seats / PDC but more importantly a roof that fold away, for me the rest I can live without even audio is not that important

Think heated screens are available on more models now.
Very rarely listen to music in the car unless I'm stuck in a traffic jam. I always like to hear the sounds that the car makes :thumbsup: