Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Missing Comforts Would Be Deal Breakers ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 pm

Just give me all the toys and gismos!
If I’d wanted old fashioned motoring I would have bought a Morgan - I did try but didn’t like
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:18 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 pm Just give me all the toys and gismos!
If I’d wanted old fashioned motoring I would have bought a Morgan - I did try but didn’t like
Driverless cars ? :o

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:09 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:49 pm Since we're talking iDrive, isn't iDrive more than just SatNav ?
Yes it is, a whole lot more. Much easier to see the car data / info and functions on the iDrive than it is in the dash or the tiny radio display plus don't forget the very useful pictogram for the parking sensors. The built in maps is pretty good too (I used it to go from London to Malaga, Spain via France and it performed faultlessly) and useful in those areas where your phone has no signal or the battery has died and you need to find your way somewhere.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:10 pm

N4LLY wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:04 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:22 pm
N4LLY wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:36 am I do not use sat nav and do not like the intrusive/ distractions :wink:
A Tesla for example is my ultimate nightmare having travelled a couple hundred miles
in a friends one and nearly threw up as it made me so dizzy with images of cars, vans and traffic cones passing by. :?
You know if you prefer you can just drive with the idrive screen folded.
Yes i know :roll: Loss of storage space, where to put parking tickets :rofl: My jacket sleeve hits the traction control button as it is :wink:
:rofl: :rofl:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:37 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:09 pm
Marcoose wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:49 pm Since we're talking iDrive, isn't iDrive more than just SatNav ?
Yes it is, a whole lot more. Much easier to see the car data / info and functions on the iDrive than it is in the dash or the tiny radio display plus don't forget the very useful pictogram for the parking sensors. The built in maps is pretty good too (I used it to go from London to Malaga, Spain via France and it performed faultlessly) and useful in those areas where your phone has no signal or the battery has died and you need to find your way somewhere.
I've driven from Geneva to Lisbon, and from Chicago to San Francisco without GPS, SatNav, or mobile phone. Sure, it's handy. But not a must for me. But I'm an old bean. Same for another dozen gizmos on 'modern' cars.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:37 pm I've driven from Geneva to Lisbon, and from Chicago to San Francisco without GPS, SatNav, or mobile phone.
Pah! Bloody amateur! I used to have to find addresses in Central/ West End of London before Sat Nav was invented. Two 'London A-Z' books on the passenger seat (one bigger scale than the other). After a few years I reckon I could have qualified as a London Cabbie!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:11 pm

One thing the Z4 never had (don't know about the G29 TBH) which is really useful is Blind Spot Monitoring in the mirrors. Had it on a few cars and it is really good! :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:46 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm
Marcoose wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:37 pm I've driven from Geneva to Lisbon, and from Chicago to San Francisco without GPS, SatNav, or mobile phone.
Pah! Bloody amateur! I used to have to find addresses in Central/ West End of London before Sat Nav was invented. Two 'London A-Z' books on the passenger seat (one bigger scale than the other). After a few years I reckon I could have qualified as a London Cabbie!
Yep done all of that in the past with just an A to Z, remember those things? Could still do it but why bother when you have the convenience of GPS / Sat Nav to hand.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:11 pm One thing the Z4 never had (don't know about the G29 TBH) which is really useful is Blind Spot Monitoring in the mirrors. Had it on a few cars and it is really good! :D
True if I had to make a list of things I wish my Z4 came with it would be this plus cooling seats. My mates 911 convertible has them and they are godsend on hot days. Regarding the blind spot monitoring I was thinking to fit an aftermarket kit but I don’t think there is enough space behind the rear bumpers to mount the sensors.

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:01 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm
Yep ! I am the same.
If going to a new address in new town or city i look at a map first.
3rd exit off round about, 2nd left etc etc.
If don't hit first time, stop in petrol station, top up, and check google maps.

Driven alot in Europe and USA, Just follow the sign post's, it's what they are for :D

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Back in my day we used to use a huge A3 sized map book to go everywhere. And when you got to the bottom of one page you then had to go search pages ahead to find the next section, and even then it didn't just line up so you had to work out which road was bloody which.
You youngsters with your spacestation mapping and interwebs thingamajig don't know the struggle we had getting from A to B, mostly via F as we used to get lost so much!!
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

DonDon

Post by DonDon » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:00 pm

I am touring the Peak District with my wife. With the iDrive sat nav and Google maps on her phone and mine (for alternative routes), she still uses the 'huge A3 sized map book' to get a better perspective of the whole area.
2013 E89 28i auto

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 pm

I still tape directions to the tank of the motorbike. It's weird that I always end up at one of my ex-girlfriends' homes, but that's another story. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:30 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 pm I still tape directions to the tank of the motorbike. It's weird that I always end up at one of my ex-girlfriends' homes, but that's another story. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Are they pleased to see you? :rofl:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:04 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:30 pm
Marcoose wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 pm I still tape directions to the tank of the motorbike. It's weird that I always end up at one of my ex-girlfriends' homes, but that's another story. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Are they pleased to see you? :rofl:
This big hunka luv ? Oh yeah !
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: