Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox and diff oil

"M" Specific discussion
taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:58 pm

Hi all.

Any recommendation's for the above over the OEM oil.
Was hopping to try something different to make things a little smother regarding the crappy 1 to 2 change.
I have read somewhere that you can use Redline MTL + D4 ATF.

Regards Sean.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:18 pm

Ross at RBM changed my gearbox and diff oil when I had an Inspection 2 in 2020 but I don't know what he used.

But I did get him to remove the CDV and don't have any issues with the change from first to second so if your car still has it I'd remove it!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:18 pm Ross at RBM changed my gearbox and diff oil when I had an Inspection 2 in 2020 but I don't know what he used.

But I did get him to remove the CDV and don't have any issues with the change from first to second so if your car still has it I'd remove it!
I have done the CDV delete and although it has helped still not as you would expect.
I know this has always been an issue as when the M was first released people left right and centre were taking there cars back and complaining
At first BMW actually replaced a few under warranty.

beanie

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by beanie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:57 pm

I’ve just had redish change the fluids (bmw) along with ate 200 brake fluid and it’s never been better.

I’ve tried various places for the fluid changes and even had the clutch bled a couple of times but for whatever reason, this change has been great.

The only other time it was this good was when I put Royal purple in along with brand new Vibratecnics engine mounts and rogue gearbox mounts. For that first week or two it was ‘perfect’ but sadly the positive effect didn’t last long so I went back to bmw fluids.

If your driveline mounts are softening I’d say this will have just as big an effect on the shift as the fluid, possibly more, so it might be worth considering replacements.

The redline mix you mention has had some positive reviews but I’ve not tried that yet.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:36 pm

beanie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:57 pm I’ve just had redish change the fluids (bmw) along with ate 200 brake fluid and it’s never been better.

I’ve tried various places for the fluid changes and even had the clutch bled a couple of times but for whatever reason, this change has been great.

The only other time it was this good was when I put Royal purple in along with brand new Vibratecnics engine mounts and rogue gearbox mounts. For that first week or two it was ‘perfect’ but sadly the positive effect didn’t last long so I went back to bmw fluids.

If your driveline mounts are softening I’d say this will have just as big an effect on the shift as the fluid, possibly more, so it might be worth considering replacements.

The redline mix you mention has had some positive reviews but I’ve not tried that yet.
Thanks.Ill get the garage to have a look at the mounts when it is in.
Are you in Bournemouth. If so do you drive a grey MC.
I am in Poole.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:55 pm

taz1966 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:24 pm I have done the CDV delete and although it has helped still not as you would expect.
I know this has always been an issue as when the M was first released people left right and centre were taking there cars back and complaining
At first BMW actually replaced a few under warranty.
I had the CDV removed at the Inspection 2 but a few months later I had new crank rod bearing shells and engine mounts fitted so the mounts may have been a factor too - the old ones were really shot after 78K miles!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AndyBeech

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:53 am

taz1966 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:58 pm
I have read somewhere that you can use Redline MTL + D4 ATF.

Regards Sean.
I put this in mine on the last service and it works fine. Filled up with MTF then as much D4 as will go in. Had no issues on road or track personally. I didn't really have an issue before mind you, I don't know what the previous owner had in it.

As others above I had new engine mounts and gearbox mounts (not strictly necessary) put in at the same time so YMMV.
CDV delete I noticed no difference.
Z4MR - Gruppe M / Bilstein PSS10 / CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's / RTAB Limiters / Powerflex’d / PF Camber Arms / K-Sport BBK / RSL-29 / GC Camber Plates / Strut Brace / Exhaust valves / custom brake cooling / 4.1 FD / underside refresh!

beanie

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by beanie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:13 pm

taz1966 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:36 pm
I am in Poole.
I’m just outside Ringwood when I’m in the UK but drive a black MC. I think Martyn has a grey MC and is around the Poole area. Are you driving a Sepang roadster by any chance? I saw one last month at the Wilton wake up which looked very tidy.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:38 pm

beanie wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:13 pm
taz1966 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:36 pm
I am in Poole.
I’m just outside Ringwood when I’m in the UK but drive a black MC. I think Martyn has a grey MC and is around the Poole area. Are you driving a Sepang roadster by any chance? I saw one last month at the Wilton wake up which looked very tidy.
Hi
I have a silver grey MR.

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Can the redline D4 ATF be used?
I have read a post somewhere that you can use a 50/50 mix of the Redline MTL and the D4 ATF?

Argenta

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by Argenta » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:58 am

For the diff, I'd use the BMW oil only. Tried using Motul but after some years I got a terrible noise, which dissapeared after changing back to fresh (expensive) BMW oil.

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:20 pm

Hi,
I have ordered the Redline ATF D4 and The Mtl .
I will post here with my thoughts on this (better than OEM oil or not)

AndyBeech

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:43 pm

taz1966 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:20 pm Hi,
For the gearbox not for the diff though right? Diff has a 'diff'erent kind of oil..... :P
Z4MR - Gruppe M / Bilstein PSS10 / CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's / RTAB Limiters / Powerflex’d / PF Camber Arms / K-Sport BBK / RSL-29 / GC Camber Plates / Strut Brace / Exhaust valves / custom brake cooling / 4.1 FD / underside refresh!

taz1966

Gearbox and diff oil

Post by taz1966 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:48 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:43 pm
taz1966 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:20 pm Hi,
For the gearbox not for the diff though right? Diff has a 'diff'erent kind of oil..... :P
Hi Andy,
Yes gearbox.