Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unscrewing the positive terminal in the engine bay - possible?

Discussing the current generation Z4
DCintheUK

Post by DCintheUK » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:33 am

Hello all,

Looking to hardwire my CTEK charger - and very well aware that due to the battery monitoring system on the G29 you need to use the engine bay points.

Been using crocodile clip connectors for a while - but want to run a permanent wire. The CTEK's come with a cable with small eyelets - which are perfect - providing I can find a way to connect the +'ve to the terminal post. Everything online suggests a "star" adapter is needed to unscrew the post - but it won't budge. I've been as close as I dare with a socket set - but I'm worried if I push more something will break.

So... can anyone else with a G29 confirm that the post does unscrew? It certainly looks like it does.

DCintheUK

Post by DCintheUK » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:02 pm

Scratch that question - answered it myself. Having found the "Positive terminal nut" part online - I gave it a go with an impact driver - and it unscrewed without a problem! Leaving this here in the forum in case useful to others!

davidprice

Post by davidprice » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Why does the battery monitoring system require it to be charged via the terminals under the bonnet?
Last winter I just connected my charger direct to the battery in the boot.

Have I done a bad thing?

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:35 pm

The system (ideally) needs to see extra charge current go in so it can adjust its idea of the battery state otherwise it'll be more charged than it realises.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot