Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner woes

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

New owner woes

Post by MikeyH » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:13 pm

Excellent news :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

warmasice

New owner woes

Post by warmasice » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:26 pm

OptimusMiles wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:07 pm Hopefully some good news!
The garage has changed the oil and filters the champs are confident all is week.
He said the fault codes shown are usually the result of lack of use. And he also said the timing chain is sounding pretty good too!
Not sure if I buy the 'lack of use' diagnosis. Perhaps the actual oil level was really low. Id keep an eye on it and those codes seemed to suggest more than just an oil change. Perhaps some of them we legacy codes?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

New owner woes

Post by Pondrew » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:01 pm

It might be an idea to check the plugs aswell (if you have the correct socket to get to the bloody things).

Plugs and oil are relatively cheap and could sort the problems. Timing chains and injectors, etc are not so cheap!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Chippie

New owner woes

Post by Chippie » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:01 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:01 pm It might be an idea to check the plugs aswell (if you have the correct socket to get to the bloody things).

Plugs and oil are relatively cheap and could sort the problems. Timing chains and injectors, etc are not so cheap!
I have to agree
Service interval says plugs at 60k, so depending on when and where it’s been serviced they may have been missed, for piece of mind you may as well change the coil packs while you are on with it.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New owner woes

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully it's nothing major. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

OptimusMiles

New owner woes

Post by OptimusMiles » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone.
The mot is due soon so I’ll get them to change the plugs and coil packs then.

Busterboo

New owner woes

Post by Busterboo » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:05 am

And, unless it's been done recently, replace the battery. Some codes may well disappear.
Vidi, vici, veni

DonDon

New owner woes

Post by DonDon » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:14 am

I can't remember which way round it is, but when the timing chain is done, the guides change from orange to white (or the other way round).

There are lots of posts on here that will tell you, and how to see them - very easy.
2013 E89 28i auto