Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Keeping E89 Outside

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RAYK47

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:20 am

So i am definitely getting an E89 (just a question of when, winter seems most likely). However i do not have a garage and I cannot really cover the car through the winter as i don't have a driveway and the road is about 30ft or so from my house. I don't have great mechanical skills, mainly due to not having facilities to work on my car (so not really given it a go).

So my questions are,
- how reliable is the rain proofing, particularly around the folding connections, boot etc?
- What do people do in a similar situation?
- Any advice and guidance on how to keep the car protected without deep pockets and good mechanical skills.

k755

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by k755 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 am

Get a cover which is of good quality so will not move in the wind that should help keep water off the electrics.

RAYK47

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:32 am

k755 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 am Get a cover which is of good quality so will not move in the wind that should help keep water off the electrics.
Thanks, is water ingress a real concern then k755? I am also concerned that the cover may get stolen or are they able to be secured?

IRD

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by IRD » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:07 pm

You can secure a good cover with straps to hold it in place. But I am not aware of any security devices available. If you are going to use a cover the car has to be pristine clean before you put the cover on. Otherwise it will scratch the paintwork. This may prove a problem if you are using the car as your daily drive . It would mean giving it a clean most days, especially during the Winter. There is a history of water getting into the rear light clusters too.
Sorry to be negative. E89s are great cars but like most cars they do have some weaknesses.

AnubisZed

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:20 pm

Mine is outside all the time, I've owned it 7 years. Previous owner had it 5 yeats and also had it outside as well. No leaking issued at all.
The roof will fail at some point, when and why is anyone's guess, but it will. This is nothing to do with having it outside though, it's just use.
I've had the obligatory paint issue with the roof panel, dealt with under warranty. No major mechanical issues though, just regular maintenance and servicing :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

RAYK47

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:35 pm

Thanks IRD.

I do have another "family" car and the wife definitely will not drive the Z4 (she wont drive the 3 series E90 so not a chance she will drive the E89). However, i was not planning to leave it stationary for weeks on end in the winter (but might be an idea during the more extreme months).

RAYK47

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:36 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:20 pm Mine is outside all the time, I've owned it 7 years. Previous owner had it 5 yeats and also had it outside as well. No leaking issued at all.
The roof will fail at some point, when and why is anyone's guess, but it will. This is nothing to do with having it outside though, it's just use.
I've had the obligatory paint issue with the roof panel, dealt with under warranty. No major mechanical issues though, just regular maintenance and servicing :thumbsup:
thanks Anubis, the roof going is a concern as if it goes and you cant close it. Without a garage to keep it in until its sorted there will be all sorts of issues.

matsmith749

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by matsmith749 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 pm

I've had a few over the years - always kept outside, never garaged, never covered.

They are fine - it's a car. It's meant to be outside.

Clean it now & again, fix when it breaks.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Phoenixboy

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:43 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:36 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:20 pm Mine is outside all the time, I've owned it 7 years. Previous owner had it 5 yeats and also had it outside as well. No leaking issued at all.
thanks Anubis, the roof going is a concern as if it goes and you cant close it. Without a garage to keep it in until its sorted there will be all sorts of issues.
I would probably keep a half cover in case the roof fails, and then get it to your garage to fix.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by B21 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:05 pm

A good cover has under car ties that can be secured with a lock ..two schools of thought on a kerbside covered car…out of site out of mind ..on the other curiosity killed the cat..

If it’s a weekend toy and you’re absolutely happy to always always wash the car completely clean before putting the cover on then they do help with crap, birds, road spray etc etc and even sunshine..

Some E89s do seem to leak through the rear light cluster areas and rear body vents..both mine seemed to be ok..

I guess it’s going to be driven in all weathers you need to sort those issues out if they do occur..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

javis20

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by javis20 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:59 pm

I've had my 2011 convertible hard top outside since 2017. No problems at all. However, if your getting a rag top, make sure not to part it under trees. Leaves and stuff will eventually block the rag top drain holes. Other than that, the car was not designed to be a garage queen.

AnubisZed

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:06 pm

RAYK47 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:36 pm
Not trying to scare you, but it is a real problem, or can be. The issues can be, but not limited to, the following....
Failed microswitches (Hall Sensors)
Broken wires to the sensors
Split hydraulic hoses
Leaking pistons
Failed pump

Mine had a split hose, so I replaced the whole hose and wiring loom assembly as I didn't want to just replace one hose and then another one goes as it's a big job. Fortunately this didn't stop me from operating the roof to get it back in the closed position, but did leak fluid all down my drivers seat. Other members have been in the position of the roof not being able to be moved once either all the way open or partially, so yes this is a big issue and can be a headache to resolve, there are many posts on this subject throughout the club pages.
Dave

AnubisZed

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:07 pm

javis20 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:59 pm I've had my 2011 convertible hard top outside since 2017. No problems at all. However, if your getting a rag top, make sure not to part it under trees. Leaves and stuff will eventually block the rag top drain holes. Other than that, the car was not designed to be a garage queen.
There aren't any E89 rag tops, they are all metal roofed :thumbsup:
Dave

RAYK47

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:22 pm

thanks for all the responses. I am more at ease now to be honest.

I am just going to get one and enjoy it, whatever happens, happens. I will deal with it when it does. I am very laid back and dont really worry about anything (some say there are things i should be).

The wife wants me to wait until next summer but its my 50th in January so i am hoping to get one around then (hopefully when at the lowest price point).

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Keeping E89 Outside

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:34 pm

So it sounds like it won't be a particular problem with an E89.

All 3 of my E86s have lived outside with no ill effects.

Good luck finding the right one in time for the big day. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black