Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Meds 3.0si Coupe - Update: Rear panel paint

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe - Update: Rear panel paint

Post by Meds » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:32 pm

Hello all.
I recently purchased Z4Pilots old Montego Coupe from the guy he sold it to, Rich.
Rich advertised his Coupe on here and everything fell into place quite well.
It was the spec I was after (bright colour with a contrast interior and a documented history.)
It was fairly local and a sensible price, too.

Once I got home, parked next to my other N52, BMW 130i.:

Initial observations (bad points, if you wish):
Oil filter/cooler gasket is a little weepy. DONE
I want to swap out the wheels for 18's, most probably standard Mv2's, 203's or maybe some Riva DTM CSLs. DONE
The carbon lip boot spoiler is not to my tastes, that will be removed. DONE
Replace the aftermarket stero with the original. DONE
Replace the black grills with the originals. DONE
The Koni Yellow adjustable dampers and Eibach Pro springs work really well.. But..... I get arch liner rub on deep road undulations. I need to address this ASAP as it's really, REALLY frustrating! Changing back to OEM springs should sort. DONE
Front bonnet badge is peeling and scruffy. DONE
A teeeny tiny bubble has formed at the bottom of the drivers rear wing, it's very small, but there.
Water pump, thermostat and Micky Mouse flange need doing, preventative. DONE
Headlight perspex needs a polish and seal, a little cloudy on the top edge. DONE
The 2nd key is playing silly beggers, sometimes it works, sometimes not. DONE
2 flickering interior LED bulbs. DONE
Oil service. DONE
Ohh and, I need to build a car port.! DONE

Plus points:
Rocker cover gasket is dry, no leaks.
Rear boot lid is corrosion free.
She runs very well, no apparent issues, smooth idle and pulls nice.
No lifter tick, no DISA rattle.
The Eisenmann quad exhaust is a great visual upgrade and doesn't sound obnoxious at all. Just right. I really like it.
Overall the body work condition is very good. Its obviously been looked after, no swirls or any nasty dings. As is the interior, excellent.

I want to keep a running log of the work I have planned and things I get sorted during my ownership, here seems the best place. You guys have been very helpful with questions I've already fired your direction. Thankyou.
Last edited by Meds on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am, edited 16 times in total.
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

AnilS

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by AnilS » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:52 pm

The second key is running low on charge James. Either use it more (charges in the ignition) or place it on an electric toothbrush charger. They can charge that way I heard.

Just had my sump gasket done. Mine is in the classifieds now.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:43 pm

It's good to know you have found a good one - Montego Blue is a great colour too. :thumbsup:

I'd love to know how you find it compared to your 130i, as I keep wondering about looking for one of those to replace my 330i that's also N52 powered!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:54 pm

Spoiler gone!
What an absolute pain in the rear that was!
The silicon sealant around the perimeter was nuclear blast resistant! I tried everything. Tar remover, numerous solvent cleaners.
I also tried one of those caramel wheels that you stick on a drill, that also struggled but I wussed out anyway as it was just crying out for me to burn through the paint.
Petrol and much scraping with an old credit card eventually removed it. The process took me about 6 hours!
A 2 stage machine polish and it now looks like new.

The spoiler will be in the for sale section soon enough. I think these were a BMW option from new??
It's very nice. Deep glossy carbon 3k and fits perfectly, but just not for my taste.
Last edited by Meds on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by mr wilks » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm

Always worth trying steam before using solvents , kettle boiling away or hairdryer can also do the trick :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo + Golf R

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:10 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm Always worth trying steam before using solvents , kettle boiling away or hairdryer can also do the trick :wink:
Yes.. I wish I'd have tried that.
Oh well, all done now.
Last edited by Meds on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:30 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:43 pm I'd love to know how you find it compared to your 130i, as I keep wondering about looking for one of those to replace my 330i that's also N52 powered!

The 130i is a great car... Very underrated.
If you need rear seats and an N52, without a doubt it's the car to get. (mine will be for sale soon :wink: )
The 130i got the 261hp N52, the same as the 3.0si.
It's a shame so many have become wrecked as daily motors for the last 15years or battered track machines with stripped interiors.

A few choice upgrades such as M3 control arms, better dampers and you have a great car. Many folk put an LSD on.
A plus for the 130i is BMW offered a whole bunch of tasty OEM 'BMW Performance' parts for it.
Mine has the 'Performance' exhaust, carbon intake, big 6pot Brembos, short shift (not just a knob, the internal lever mechanism) along with the alcantara interior, side sills and rear roof spoiler. I also added replica 'Performance' carbon front spiltters.
The Performance range went far. Including seats and steering wheels. And the quality is top notch.
Nowadays, that 'Performance' stuff is really rare and stupid money!
The 3 door E81 is a nicer looking car, it has frameless doors, too.

Dont get caught up with the hydaulic vs electric steering debate. I've had 2 130i's, one pre-facelift with hydaulic and my current facelift with electric. I personally think the facelift cars offer far more to offset any minute feeling increase the hydraulic gives. The difference is tiny and the increased assistance at parking speeds is very welcome, along with all the other facelift bits like better lights, interior, gauge cluster and stuff.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:15 pm

Thanks, that's thought-provoking but having my MC I wouldn't be too bothered about razor-sharp handling if I did get a 130i as it would be my daily. :lol:

Now I'm the wrong side of 60 on the few occasions I ever have passengers they are usually at least as old as me, so I'd want an E87 if I got one.

I had a facelift 123d years ago with the EPAS and while it was way better than my E86s, I still prefer the HPAS on my MC and E90.

Maybe my manual 330i SE with the N52 engine is the bargain choice for rear seats, even with only 255 BHP!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 pm

Yuk!!

A very mouldy washer bottle.
I popped off the nearest washer jet hose and emptied into a bucket by activating the stalk.
Filled with fresh water and scrubbed with a brush.
Emptied again, ohh my, the muck that came out.
Filled with water and dropped a couple of steralising tablets in and left for 30mins.
Another scrub then a 3rd empty.
Then filled with mixture of the original fluid and some new stuff.

Nice!

I also took the time to fix a squeeky wiper. It turned out to be very simple. I was getting ready to open up the cavity where the wiper mechanisms live. But, just some lube to the spring where it hooks around the base of the wiper arm, solved it.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:41 pm

Meds wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 pm A very mouldy washer bottle.
I've done that job twice on my 2nd E86 and an E46. Cleaned the washer filters with an old toothbrush and then only ever used one brand of screenwash. Never had that issue again. I think using different fluids contributes to the yuckiness!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:12 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:41 pm I've done that job twice on my 2nd E86 and an E46. Cleaned the washer filters with an old toothbrush and then only ever used one brand of screenwash. Never had that issue again. I think using different fluids contributes to the yuckiness!
Yeah it was horrid in there.!
I did reuse the original fluid as that was clen and didnt smell at all, lets see if that reacts with the BMW stuff...
All the mould was attached to the plastic bottle so I suspect it's been flushed before but not srubbed out.
I might drop another tablet in there and leave it.. It shouldnt harm the paint work, right?

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:27 pm

And proof the boot closes:

Fantastic!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:10 pm

Meds wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:12 am Yeah it was horrid in there.!
I did reuse the original fluid as that was clen and didnt smell at all, lets see if that reacts with the BMW stuff...
All the mould was attached to the plastic bottle so I suspect it's been flushed before but not srubbed out.
I might drop another tablet in there and leave it.. It shouldnt harm the paint work, right?
I can't see a sterilising tablet causing a problem on paint, but after I sorted mine out I made a point of avoiding mixing fluid. I stick to OE stuff in my E90 because the reservoir is behind the driver's side front wheel-arch liner. :headbang:

Good to see you got your bike in the boot - that wouldn't work in an M. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Calps

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Calps » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:56 am

Meds wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:27 pm Image
And proof the boot closes:

Fantastic!
Impressive! Would be interested to know how you managed this.

The absence of suspension on the front forks and the type of tyres makes me think this is a CX bike? So, presumably, you have drop bars on the front? Did you need to remove/loosen them, or could you make it fit as it?

(I brought my road bike with me when I went to purchase my coupe. I couldn't make it fit with the handlebars in place, so I quickly convinced myself it wasn't as hard a requirement as I'd previously told myself, and now use a roof mounted suction cup system instead :rofl: . As good as it is, knowing I could get everything inside the car would add a level of security and peace of mind!).
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Meds

Meds 3.0si Coupe

Post by Meds » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:14 am

Yeah CX bike. More specifically a monstercross/gravel rig. 50mm 650b. :thumbsup:
Bars turned but not loosened. The only thing I had to do was drop the rear mech off the hangar.
It's a small frame, any larger and it'll be a struggle I'd suspect.
I was dead chuffed with the ability to carry it.
The car was dropped at my mechanic for water pump, thermo and mouse flange, so I cycled home after.