Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not A New Member

First port of call for new members
CliveN

Not A New Member

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:10 am

Just a new account as I cant find the details for the other. I have posted on here about my E89. However, I have now purchased a Z4M Coupe and its not bad in overall terms and was a private sale at a reasonable price. Pictures to follow. It has a few faults though. The window one touch doesn't work on the drivers side which seems to be a switch issue and the Airbag warning light came on 15o miles into my return journey. I presume the car is drivable. I have looked widely on the forum and it appears that this is a relatively common issue but i really dent want someone just to reset it and then for it come on again later. Where is the usual problem please so I can tell my info where to look? Finally, I seem to have lost the service information on the cars computer. How do you access it? The manual is not clear. Or has that disappeared too?
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Not A New Member

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:02 pm

Hi and welcome back.

I can't help with your electrical issues, but you won't find service information on the OBC in an E86. All you get is the mileage to the next service when you start the engine. You've been spoilt for tech in your E89!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

CliveN

Not A New Member

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:48 pm

Hi Mr Tidy. Yes I was expecting more like my E89 (even the non-drive version on the dash). But you're right it's just the data on ignition turn on!
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

CliveN

Not A New Member

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:51 pm

The z4M is a bit of a beast really and even though the N52 engine in the E89 sounds nice this sounds very raspy particularly after 3500 rpm. However it has an Eventuri fitted and this probably ups the sound levels a lot!
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Not A New Member

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:50 pm

Welcome back over the plank. :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Not A New Member

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:45 pm

CliveN wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:51 pm The z4M is a bit of a beast really and even though the N52 engine in the E89 sounds nice this sounds very raspy particularly after 3500 rpm. However it has an Eventuri fitted and this probably ups the sound levels a lot!
The Z4M really is a bit of a beast!

I had two E86s with the N52 before I got my MC and the 2nd had a custom post-cat exhaust but my MC has Powerflow back-boxes and sounds fantastic, especially above 5,000 rpm. :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Not A New Member

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:20 pm

Hi Clive. You might have tried this already, but one touch window opening / closing might just need resetting. The process is described in the manual.
My airbag warning light was a consequence of a corroded and then broken wire between the loom and the Battery Safety Terminal in the boot. It’s was an unusual place and due to an old battery leak when my car was stored for a year. The BST itself can be a cause, but I believe the more common reasons relate to the seat occupancy sensors.
A good code reader should give you a better idea and allow you to reset it temporarily. I have a C110+ that I keep in the car (which enables this) and a laptop-based system for coding (I forget which because I use it infrequently).
The car is drivable but the airbags, seatbelt pretensioners and BST probably won’t activate in the event of a crash.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone