Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking fine

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by dr_john » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:28 pm

I just submitted an appeal to the parking company through their website, attaching a shot of my bank statement showing the payment for one pint of bitter (£4.20). I bet that sounds cheap to some of you guys!

Wait and see now, apparently the whole payment process is now frozen until the appeal result.

I’m also writing to the pub management company to see if that does any good.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

pvr
Legend
Legend

Parking fine

Post by pvr » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:30 pm

The parking company wll auto-reject as they will state that you didn't register your car, so failed, so guilty as charged (or words to that effect). They never, ever reason.

The pub should be the one dropping the charge (via the parking company). If they don't, they will soon be hit by karma and will be on the closure list ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by dr_john » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:14 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:30 pm The parking company wll auto-reject as they will state that you didn't register your car, so failed, so guilty as charged (or words to that effect). They never, ever reason.

The pub should be the one dropping the charge (via the parking company). If they don't, they will soon be hit by karma and will be on the closure list ...
Yes I'm not at all optimistic about getting anywhere with the parking company. The parking company is called Civil Enforcement.

This has happened before at a different pub a couple of years ago, on that occasion the pub concerned got the fine cancelled with one simple phone call.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

obewan

Parking fine

Post by obewan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:41 pm

Is it not an invoice, not a fine?
Not being pedantic but there's a big difference legally I believe.
I think you can register the dispute with POPLA. It's an independent appeals process for PCN's on private property
https://www.popla.co.uk/

Good luck
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by MikeyH » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:59 pm

Signs must be visible on the way in and around the car park, if not then illegal. The Black Belt Barrister on YouTube has done a video about this. He says have your day in court. I parked in a hotel car park up north somewhere and put my reg into a computer at the desk, unfortunately I did something wrong and it didn’t register. Got a fine in the post from Parking Eye, wtf. Anyway the wife is very good at this and made them understand I had been staying there. The hotel didn’t want to know and the parking company were a bunch of b*****ds to get through to. I think the Gov is putting through legislation to try and sort these companies out. Needless to say we won’t be going there again.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by MikeyH » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:06 pm

Also be careful with Sainsbury’s as they have a 2 hour limit and if you leave and go back too soon your in trouble. We were shopping in another store last Christmas and decided to have a relaxing coffee half way through so overstayed without realising, went to the store with our receipt and all was well. Told next time to sign in at the desk if we will be a long time, always do now even for 10mins :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Parking fine

Post by pvr » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:28 pm

My un-intentional numberplate unreadability trick is my best defence :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

rlavvy

Parking fine

Post by rlavvy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:41 pm

Hi,
Do not ignore it. That no longer works.
I beat a parking charge. It can, and is done often. It's not a fine it's a charge. Only courts gave levy fines.
If you weren't aware that there were parking restrictions then it probable that they did not meet the legal requirements to enforce parking. There are specific notices and signs that need to be posted. Too many people pay without challenge. It is a massive money generator.
Go here for information.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/recla ... g-tickets/

It takes time and effort though.
I was livid because mine was a £60 fine increased to £100 if not paid.

It took many hours of effort.
Good luck.
Last edited by rlavvy on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlavvy

Parking fine

Post by rlavvy » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:47 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:59 pm Signs must be visible on the way in and around the car park, if not then illegal. The Black Belt Barrister on YouTube has done a video about this. He says have your day in court. I parked in a hotel car park up north somewhere and put my reg into a computer at the desk, unfortunately I did something wrong and it didn’t register. Got a fine in the post from Parking Eye, wtf. Anyway the wife is very good at this and made them understand I had been staying there. The hotel didn’t want to know and the parking company were a bunch of b*****ds to get through to. I think the Gov is putting through legislation to try and sort these companies out. Needless to say we won’t be going there again.
Judging by the questionaires produced to gather evidence and opinion by this government on parking firms it is most likely that they will make it easier and not harder for them.

smorris_12

Parking fine

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:56 pm

These schemes are usually in touristy sorts of areas, so given that people will park up to walk round the ancient town[Caerleon] or along the towpath[somewhere near Bath] but not go in to the pub to patronise the bar steward, I can see why they do it.

However, what I don't understand is that considering that the majority of trade is therefore probably transient rather than being locals, why the h*ll don't the bar staff remind you? I've been to a few and thankfully always spotted the signs in the car park (good going as I'm far more interested in beer than signs) but the staff never mention it, and there are usually no easily spotted reminders inside and the iPad is usually out of sight somewhere.

Grrrr.

I'd go the same route. Point out you were a punter and refuse to pay. And then leave a stinking review on TripAdviser.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

obewan

Parking fine

Post by obewan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:47 pm

I read a while ago that one tactic (albeit for a supermarket car park) was to write and say the car park was not full at the time so you had not hindered their trade, as a token of goodwill you are prepared to offer £1 to settle the invoice. (It's not a fine, although usually cleverly designed to look like one).
When they turn it down, offer another 50p. Allegedly after 2 or 3 of these letters they gave up
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

smorris_12

Parking fine

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:55 pm

Supermarkets (at least the major ones) seem to be happy to cancel tickets at the drop of a hat as they don't want the agro. It's more of an idle deterrent than aggressive enforcement, IMO.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by Nanu » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:38 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:49 am Pepipoo.com for info

What were you supposed to do - register your car at the bar or so?
This is the best site for up to date advice. Used them twice and had both charges dropped.

Not sure if the legislation has changed but when I won my cases the private parking company had to have a proprietary interest in the land or they had no authority as basically its a charge not a fine, for trespass and only the owner of the land can prosecute you for trespass.

Check the site out and they will have all the current info and if needed template letters.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by Pondrew » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:19 pm

dr_john wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:14 pm The parking company is called Civil Enforcement.
Brilliant name. That's a 'contradiction in terms'. You can't enforce anything civilly. Enforcement is, by definition, a legal affair.

If the parking company reject your plea, then respond by telling them you will see them in court. They will NEVER go that far in this instance (if ever) as you have proof you parked there for a valid reason.

Or just pay it and be happy you had a £64.20 pint of bitter! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Parking fine

Post by MikeyH » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:21 pm

TBH it does leave a bitter taste :thumbsdown: