Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HS2

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

HS2

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:40 pm

I have never quite understood the benefit of this link, as basically it would mean that people working in London can then live in Manchester for half the living cost and still travel to work?

What is the benefit for Manchester as it would only raise their house prices as far as I can see.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm

Wouldn't it have updated a rail network that's still stuck in the 1880s?

Pretty much a disastrous handling of affairs, either start and complete it or not at all, pathetic really.

Think of all the money a preparatory work and effort that had already gone into the Phase 2 leg which is now completely wasted and down the drain.

Think I did around a years worth or work on HS2 working in planning in Local Government as the route came through Staffs, waste of time :cry:

You simply can't believe anything this Goverment promises.

The North South divide again.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

HS2

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:44 pm

I think 2 hours 15 as the current time from London to Manchester is pretty impressive though. To be fair, who travels by train nowadays on a regular basis as everyone seems to work from home, so the need for a link for economic reasons does not seem to be there anymore.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:51 pm

I think the train service would be used alot more if it was a decent service to begin with. No incentive to use it as it currently stands. Strikes and outdated. it's hardly surprising people want to work from home.

Tim.

jock156

HS2

Post by jock156 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:28 pm

Out of curiosity Tim, at what level were you involved in terms of planning?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:54 pm

jock156 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:28 pm Out of curiosity Tim, at what level were you involved in terms of planning?
I worked in minerals and waste planning, so the Local Authority (County Council) would have dealt with the planning applications albeight permitted development for the borrow pits/quarries needed for sand and gravel supply for the concrete requirements, culverts/bridges etc along the route in Staffordshire. Also involved in preparatory work in supplying HS2 consultants with the necessary environmental impact/historical planning info required along the route, old landfills etc that would have impacted the route. I would imagine the construction industry will be receive a good hit now in lost work along with jobs that were taken on to fulfill HS2 requirements.

Of course the Government are now going to redirect HS2 budget on other construction and transport projects oh and filling in pot holes :lol: Not convinced :roll:

Tim.

jock156

HS2

Post by jock156 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:02 pm

Good work! I deal with planners daily further down the food chain :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:08 pm

jock156 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:02 pm Good work! I deal with planners daily further down the food chain :thumbsup:
All in a past tense for me now though :)

Tim.

N4LLY

HS2

Post by N4LLY » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:28 pm

We have had the fast train for years.
Folkestone Central to St. Pancras = 54 Minutes. 8)
(£29 return)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by Nanu » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:44 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm Wouldn't it have updated a rail network that's still stuck in the 1880s?

Pretty much a disastrous handling of affairs, either start and complete it or not at all, pathetic really.

Think of all the money a preparatory work and effort that had already gone into the Phase 2 leg which is now completely wasted and down the drain.

Think I did around a years worth or work on HS2 working in planning in Local Government as the route came through Staffs, waste of time :cry:

You simply can't believe anything this Government promises.

Tim.
I think the problem goes back further and wider than this Govt.

Alistair Darling first proposed HS2 and approved the route which was never viable in the first place. If successive Govts were intent on building it, they should have started in Newcastle / York / Leeds then Manchester before going onto Brum and South.

Heard an interesting interview with the project manager for HS1 which was brought in 8 weeks early and under budget. The reason for his success and HS2 failure was simple. The contractors bidding for HS1 were never told the budget, so tended under. For HS2 the budget was well known as was the estimated contingency so contractors upped their bids right from the start taking into account the total budget and the contingency fund.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 pm

Nanu wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:44 pm
TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm Wouldn't it have updated a rail network that's still stuck in the 1880s?

You simply can't believe anything this Government promises.

Tim.
I think the problem goes back further and wider than this Govt.

Alistair Darling first proposed HS2 and approved the route which was never viable in the first place. If successive Govts were intent on building it, they should have started in Newcastle / York / Leeds then Manchester before going onto Brum and South.

Heard an interesting interview with the project manager for HS1 which was brought in 8 weeks early and under budget. The reason for his success and HS2 failure was simple. The contractors bidding for HS1 were never told the budget, so tended under. For HS2 the budget was well known as was the estimated contingency so contractors upped their bids right from the start taking into account the total budget and the contingency fund.
I've heard alot of quotes saying the works should have commenced from Manchester, the south will basically get what it wanted :|

Ironically, I reckon if the Victorians were building it today it would most likely be finished by now, there lies the problem, this Country lost it's greatness an awfully long time ago :(

A great opportunity missed.

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

HS2

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:09 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 pm Ironically, I reckon if the Victorians were building it today it would most likely be finished by now, there lies the problem, this Country lost it's greatness an awfully long time ago

That's true!

But I'm not sure how much use it would get - I'd far rather travel by car, in my own space, my own control of the temperature and choice of music. :D

Plus it's quicker given that I live over 30 miles from Euston so it would take me ages to get to it!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:18 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:09 pm
TitanTim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 pm Ironically, I reckon if the Victorians were building it today it would most likely be finished by now, there lies the problem, this Country lost it's greatness an awfully long time ago

That's true!

But I'm not sure how much use it would get - I'd far rather travel by car, in my own space, my own control of the temperature and choice of music. :D

Plus it's quicker given that I live over 30 miles from Euston so it would take me ages to get to it!
I think more people would use a fast, clean, punctual value for money train service with capacity, I would but I wouldn't at the moment, think users have moved away from trains due to poor service. Like you would rather use the car these days.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

HS2

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:24 pm

Last few times I flew to Manchester. Was £70 return compared to about £250 for a train ticket. Madness.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

HS2

Post by TitanTim » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:30 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:24 pm Last few times I flew to Manchester. Was £70 return compared to about £250 for a train ticket. Madness.
I know, crazy, so long as you don't mind sitting on a plane full of British tourists :lol:

Tim.