Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice for hydraulic jack and jack stands. First time

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:04 pm

Was wondering if there are any recommendations for hydraulic jacks and jack stands. Mainly to swap the wheels as winter is coming, maybe once in a while lift the car up to check the soft top drain plugs. Anyone has any recommendations? Anything sub 100 (euro) is recommended?

This is my first time doing this so any additional tips, please let me know, such as where to place jack stands and so on, as this is my first ever car and figured it's time invest into such tools.

I did see a listing from a Goodyear car jack but I have a feeling it won't fit under the zed
Screenshot_20231010_162830_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20231010_162830_Amazon Shopping.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Last edited by NaweedMustafa on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

smorris_12

Advise for hydraulic jack and jack stands. First time

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 pm

You'll need a low profile jack to get under the Z. My standard trolley jacks struggled to get under my 3 series with the sports suspension and there was no way they'd get under the Z. I bought this one:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html

I appreciate you're not in the UK, but I'm sure you'll be able to get something similar in the Netherlands. Absolute bargain price at the moment (€46) - I'm sure such things were blindingly expensive years ago as there weren't bargain alternatives.

Out of all of the sets of axle stands I've got, I'd recommend my folding ones. They're not the tallest which suits the Z well and they're bijou and compact when they are folded.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:47 pm

Cheers for the link! As long as I have something recommended, even if its from across the pond, I can at least compare with that to make my purchase decision easier.

Don't know much about jacking and axle stands yet (will explore YouTube when I get time), is there a specific spot on the zed's axle that I should use? I am aware of the jack points available on the 4 corners and the need for a specific rubber puck. That's all I know so far

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:53 pm

On the rear of the Z the diff carrier can be used to centrally lift it. I made a thing for this job:

viewtopic.php?t=142080

Then axle stands can be put under the rear jacking points.

There isn't an equivalent at the front tho, so it's a case of lift under the jacking point and then put an axle stand under the chassis rails further in.
------
Scott

Usel

Post by Usel » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:04 pm

I bought this trolley jack 2 years ago for £60 on offer from autodoc.

Lovely quality Jack in my opinion:

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/heyner/14347446

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:30 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:53 pm On the rear of the Z the diff carrier can be used to centrally lift it. I made a thing for this job:

viewtopic.php?t=142080

Then axle stands can be put under the rear jacking points.

There isn't an equivalent at the front tho, so it's a case of lift under the jacking point and then put an axle stand under the chassis rails further in.
The jacking point at the front is the stamped rectangle in the metal reinforcement plate. It’s quite a long way under the front of the car, so it helps to drive the front wheels up onto planks or scaffold boards to access even with a low entry jack. The reinforcement plate is a hollow construction and jacking here does deform the plate slightly, but the axle support underneath is plenty solid enough to support the car. The Z4M uses the same jacking location but has a rubber puck where the stamped rectangle would otherwise be. There is a thread on here somewhere about making a similar mod on the non-M
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:41 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:39 pm You'll need a low profile jack to get under the Z. My standard trolley jacks struggled to get under my 3 series with the sports suspension and there was no way they'd get under the Z. I bought this one:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html

I appreciate you're not in the UK, but I'm sure you'll be able to get something similar in the Netherlands. Absolute bargain price at the moment (€46) - I'm sure such things were blindingly expensive years ago as there weren't bargain alternatives.

Out of all of the sets of axle stands I've got, I'd recommend my folding ones. They're not the tallest which suits the Z well and they're bijou and compact when they are folded.
Yes that’s what I bought, works a treat, only thing I would add is that I needed to remove the floating cup on top, easily done. And for a jack pad to sit in the z4 jack points. They have them on the internet quite cheaply but I got mine from a fellow member :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ryushe

Post by ryushe » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Hey @NaweedMustafa, I got this one from HBM, specifically as it's a low profile one which fits just fine underneath my 3.0si. Slightly over your stated budget, but it's an excellent jack.
HBM is located in Moordrecht, so not that close to you (if you're in Eindhoven that is), but doable. Nice toolshop to visit anyways, worth the trip :)

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-1 ... garagekrik
'06 E85 Z4 3.0si 6 speed manual - Black metallic w/ champagne interior
Prev BMWs: '04 E85 Z4 Individual 2.5i • '04 E85 Z4 3.0i • '04 E46 M3 • '04 E61 535d • '86 E28 525i • '87 E28 528e

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:14 pm

If you already have a normal trolley jack then fashion a ramp out of a bit of sturdy timber about 50mm thick. make a slope at one end then just drive up it. Also get a jack pad for just a few quid on ebay then you can lift it on the jacking points.
The Z4 is so short that its easy to lift both end of the car by just using the front jacking points

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:34 pm

ryushe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:22 pm Hey @NaweedMustafa, I got this one from HBM, specifically as it's a low profile one which fits just fine underneath my 3.0si. Slightly over your stated budget, but it's an excellent jack.
HBM is located in Moordrecht, so not that close to you (if you're in Eindhoven that is), but doable. Nice toolshop to visit anyways, worth the trip :)

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-1 ... garagekrik

I find any excuse to go for a drive, so definitely worth checking out for myself. I'll first have a look locally here for something with similar specs listed by all of you. Thanks everyone!

Rsipad

Post by Rsipad » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:48 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:04 pm Was wondering if there are any recommendations for hydraulic jacks and jack stands
As stated by others: low profile jack. I'm in the USA so can't recommend where to get them unfortunately.

As for jack stands for oil changes, etc. I have 3 US ton jack stands. To lift the car, I jack up the car from the pinch weld underneath the mirror (where the weight distribution is even). I then put stands under the pucks and drop the car onto the jack stands.

As for lifting from the differential on the rear of the car, make sure the front wheels are off the ground or that you're on level ground. Found out the hard way when my friend jacked up my car and the car rolled straight into me on his steep driveway :rofl:
2006 Z4 3.0i (Montego Blue)

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:27 pm

I have a few questions on trolley jacks as well.

I was going to go for a two tonne Low Profile for an E86. Having done some measurements in theory I could lower my car about 50 mm and still get a NORMAL Halford trolley jack under there. I think I am going to go low profile anyway, just to be safe and future proofed, but I am curious to know if anyone gets a non-low profile trolley jack under an E85 / E86?

Having done some reading I am wondering whether to go for a belt and braces 3 tonne jack even though in theory 2 tonne should be plenty.

I'm also curious to know whether anyone has had any issues with their trolley jack not reaching far enough under the car - jacking points seem to be quite a long way from the front? Is that something I should be at all careful about?

I think I'm going to go for 4 tonne axle stands on the basis that for an extra £10 or £20 why not.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:23 pm

AFAIK there is no central front jacking point, apart from possibly the M-cars or maybe the early ones. My 06 E85 (like the E46) has a dimple in the reinforcement plate but there's nothing structural there.

FWIW, having bought one, I would get the low profile trolley jack over a standard one any day. It's got slightly more reach and lift, and a slightly wider track to give better stability.
------
Scott

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:52 pm

Not a chance a normal jack will go under an E85/6, or at least not under the cill jacking points. You might get it under the rear one. 2 Tonne will be fine as will the cheaper axle stands. Jack it on the rear cill jacking point and it will lift the front up so you can get an axle stand unt he front jacking point then do the same for the other side.
Last edited by Rockhopper on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 pm

I had a small 'low access' trolley jack for a while. It was OK but I found it would 'twist' if not on solid very flat ground, so made me nervous.
I bit the bullet and got a 'proper' low level jack from Halfrauds. It's big and heavy (I can't lift it) but is well made and will lift any car quickly and safely IMO.
This one:
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 63126.html

Halfords don't make them so there are many different brands of the identical thing.

Also worth noting with axle stands; get the shortest (closed) ones possible. A low car has to be raised higher to get an axle stand under, so lower ones are better IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!