Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No Stock Or ETA For Replacement Airbag Module - What To Do?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm

Our 2003 e85 threw an airbag light and fault code 987B which relates to the SBSL module on the passenger side. I have already posted a thread about this here.

However, after many months of waiting, BMW still have no ETA of stock in the UK or EU and cannot place an order for a new SBSL module with part number 65776948087. This has put us in a tricky situation, especially come MOT time. Is there any way to temporarily turn-off the airbag light until such a time when we can get our hands on a replacement module?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:54 pm

EViS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm Our 2003 e85 threw an airbag light and fault code 987B which relates to the SBSL module on the passenger side. I have already posted a thread about this here.

However, after many months of waiting, BMW still have no ETA of stock in the UK or EU and cannot place an order for a new SBSL module with part number 65776948087. This has put us in a tricky situation, especially come MOT time. Is there any way to temporarily turn-off the airbag light until such a time when we can get our hands on a replacement module?
Why are you insisting on waiting for that number, when in the other thread you were provided with a list of compatible ones?
I've just checked and don't have one, but try bigwinn, umfaan or street on here, and failing that look for David Jackson or Maz Cool on fb.
Once you find one, speak to Stuart (bigwinn), Chris (street) or me to help you code it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:00 pm

I only mention part number 65776948087 as that is all BMW can supply new. However, I search for all of the other part numbers for a used module on a weekly basis. I have yet to come across anyone selling one :( .

I will follow up on those contacts now, thanks!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:08 pm

EViS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:00 pm I only mention part number 65776948087 as that is all BMW can supply new. However, I search for all of the other part numbers for a used module on a weekly basis. I have yet to come across anyone selling one :( .

I will follow up on those contacts now, thanks!
Good luck. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Post by sticky » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 pm

ebay.com not the UK ebay

EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:59 pm

sticky wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 pm ebay.com not the UK ebay
I have been searching there too, incl. .fr and .de. I have seen one new SBSL (65776948087) on the US platform. However, it's being sold by a relatively new seller with neither their feedback nor listing description inspiring me with confidence.

There is also this unit which says is compatible with 65776926784, however 65776931287 doesn't appear on my list of compatible sensors?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:33 pm

EViS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:59 pm
sticky wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 pm ebay.com not the UK ebay
I have been searching there too, incl. .fr and .de. I have seen one new SBSL (65776948087) on the US platform. However, it's being sold by a relatively new seller with neither their feedback nor listing description inspiring me with confidence.

There is also this unit which says is compatible with 65776926784, however 65776931287 doesn't appear on my list of compatible sensors?
Definitely stick to your list!
Keep bumping up your ad as well.
Have you tried looking at cars being broken and trying for one from them as well?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 am

EViS, I just spoke to David Jackson on fb and he has a '3395' module which will suit you.
I think he's going to contact you directly.

Not sure where you are, but if you need it coded in then there's a few of us can help you.

EViS

Post by EViS » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:00 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 am EViS, I just spoke to David Jackson on fb and he has a '3395' module which will suit you.

Not sure where you are, but if you need it coded in then there's a few of us can help you.
This is brilliant news! I chatted with David yesterday and yes, he dropped me a message this morning to confirm having a 65776933985 module in his armoury :D. Thank you so much for putting the leg work in here and passing him on as a contact. I sure do owe you a round of beers now :thumbsup:.

However, he did first advise to check the main SRS ECU as he has discovered previous one's with water ingress and corroded pins. So, although I went to town on contact cleaner and inspection of the passenger loom and module, I haven't actually followed up the chain.

I believe that the main module is behind the handbrake so I'll get cracking on getting access to it as soon as the weather dries up.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:05 pm

EViS wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:00 am
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 am EViS, I just spoke to David Jackson on fb and he has a '3395' module which will suit you.

This is brilliant news! I chatted with David yesterday and yes, he dropped me a message this morning to confirm having a 65776933985 module in his armoury :D. Thank you so much for putting the leg work in here and passing him on as a contact. I sure do owe you a round of beers now :thumbsup:.

However, he did first advise to check the main SRS ECU as he has discovered previous one's with water ingress and corroded pins. So, although I went to town on contact cleaner and inspection of the passenger loom and module, I haven't actually followed up the chain.

I believe that the main module is behind the handbrake so I'll get cracking on getting access to it as soon as the weather dries up.
Pretty sure that would give a different code, but no harm in checking.
If you take out the coin holder behind the handbrake you can see the module and it's connectors.
If you're going that deep I would suggest bagging all three modules for future-proofing.

EViS

Post by EViS » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:09 pm

I can confirm that the main module also had no signs of water ingress or corrosion. Regardless, I still gave the board, pins and harness plug a clean with contact cleaner, before putting everything back together again. I'm now awaiting delivery of a replacement module from David :).

EViS

Post by EViS » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:35 am

I received David's module yesterday. Sadly, it's got a fair amount of corrosion to the pins as well as to the rear casing of the module. Hence, I don't think it's worth even trying to install it and probably best to just send it back (David promptly replied and apologised for missing this).

The search for a replacement module continues :(.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 am

Have you found your part yet? If not, https://www.pelicanparts.com/search/?q=65776948087+ This is a USA company. I found other vendors listing this part. However, I know that Pelican parts is a real company. Pelican parts per there site will ship international. However you'll have to pay whatever custom charges that are charged by your country.
NOTE: Before ordering this please contact the company by email to make sure that they have the correct part.

Hope this works out for you.

EViS

Post by EViS » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 am

Jas- USA wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 am Have you found your part yet? If not, https://www.pelicanparts.com/search/?q=65776948087+ This is a USA company. I found other vendors listing this part. However, I know that Pelican parts is a real company. Pelican parts per there site will ship international. However you'll have to pay whatever custom charges that are charged by your country.
NOTE: Before ordering this please contact the company by email to make sure that they have the correct part.

Thanks for the heads up, I received the following reply this morning, "Hello, unfortunately it does not look like I would be able to get that sensor even long term from BMW. This item is something I have marked as no longer available on my end. Sorry."

So, same reply as from every other retailer, incl. local BMW parts departments. I've also contacted every breaker I can see, no one has this module :thumbsdown:.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:22 am

EViS wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 am
Jas- USA wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 am Have you found your part yet? If not, https://www.pelicanparts.com/search/?q=65776948087+ This is a USA company. I found other vendors listing this part. However, I know that Pelican parts is a real company. Pelican parts per there site will ship international. However you'll have to pay whatever custom charges that are charged by your country.

Thanks for the heads up, I received the following reply this morning, "Hello, unfortunately it does not look like I would be able to get that sensor even long term from BMW. This item is something I have marked as no longer available on my end. Sorry."

So, same reply as from every other retailer, incl. local BMW parts departments. I've also contacted every breaker I can see, no one has this module :thumbsdown:.
Keep bumping your wanted ad on here.
Then start following every breaker you can and look for any of the numbers on your list.
I'll keep checking too.