Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Calum's Z4 35i - new Chinese rear lights...!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MarshMA10

Calum's Z4 35i - new Chinese rear lights...!

Post by MarshMA10 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:57 am

Hi all :thumbsup:

First timer with an e89 35i, previously owned an e85 3.0si. Never been on any of the BMW forums but used to be on MR2 SW20 forums back in the day!

Basics about the car -
70k mi
2010 year
Tuned to 362hp in 2019, at "Maxtreme" in Wisbech
Had a prang, was insurance repaired.
CarPlay headunit + some better speakers
Aftermarket alloys, have not established the brand / if they're reps / anything about them yet.
Non-RFT tyres, but they're a mixed set of Goodyears in front and Falkens in rear. I would choose Michelin Pilot Super Sports or PS4s unless there's a lot of club wisdom for something better?

It wants a few little odds and sods done:

- Tightened up interior plastics, replace a few, reglue a few...

- New rear tyres (Currently 255/30/19 I think - is this worth changing?)

- Clean, clay bar, polish, wax..............

- Very 'wallowy' suspension compared to most of the fast cars I have driven. Is it worth looking at lowering springs, stiffer springs, shocks, etc? I don't want to ruin the lovely soft town-friendly ride quality, but the brakes and the engine vastly outperform the suspension whereas the e85 was a more 'balanced' offering. It dives quite a bit on deceleration after a full throttle pull, it even gets a bit light at the rear.

It would be GREAT to get some owners club knowledge about things I should look at in terms of preventative maintenance, things to look out for, things to check for in the service history. I have evidence of water pump and fuel injectors being replaced. I am not sure if I saw HPFP replaced.

Lots of love and nice to meet you all ! 8) 8) 8)
Attachments
cleanphoto2.jpg
cleanphoto2.jpg (329.19 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
cleanphoto1.jpg
cleanphoto1.jpg (193.01 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Last edited by MarshMA10 on Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 E89 35i — turbo boat hooligan - viewtopic.php?t=131886
2008 Ducati 1098S — two wheeled nightmare

Special Kay

First Timer

Post by Special Kay » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, you've passed the first test with flying colours, just by posting pictures :thumbsup:. It looks a stunning car, I love a contrasting interior to exterior :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

First Timer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:08 pm

Welcome..a lot of questions with a lot of debate about many of the items..my build threasd shows my journey..quite an extreme trip, others have been much more constrained..

For some (me) the dampers even when working were wrongly set up..taking wear and tear they are badly out of shape for any form of decent handling..Bilstein B8s and Supplex springs seem to be the cost effective road biased option..

If you are on 19" wheels then the Conti Sports Contact 7 is undoubtedly the best tyre today..

Goodyear Assy 6 shades the Michelin PS4S into 3rd place..still a good tyre but no longer top dog on an E89 chassis, especially the heavier more powerful versions..

Shame about the stubby..it was all going so well! :poke: :tumbleweed: :fuelfire: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MarshMA10

First Timer

Post by MarshMA10 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Haha - the aerial?? Is it non-standard / is there something better?

Thanks for the notes especially on the tyres and suspension, and I'll look for the build thread.

Much happier with the silver exterior than I expected to be, was always going to be a black one for me but couldn't say no as this had everything else I was after (I think).

B21
Lifer
Lifer

First Timer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:25 pm

MarshMA10 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:13 pm Haha - the aerial?? Is it non-standard / is there something better?

Thanks for the notes especially on the tyres and suspension, and I'll look for the build thread.

Much happier with the silver exterior than I expected to be, was always going to be a black one for me but couldn't say no as this had everything else I was after (I think).
The 'whippy' was the factory fit, untold aerodynamic negative things will happen if you replace it with a stubby..

FWIW the wheels are some aftermarket items..I assume cheap cast wheels..could be wrong..
Attachments
IMG_8080.jpeg
IMG_8080.jpeg (287.92 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

buzyg
Legend
Legend

First Timer

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:21 pm

Welcome on board.MPSS every time, for dry weather fun. If you can get them in correct size for an 35i. otherwise MPS4 8) :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

First Timer

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:40 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum - I do love a red interior! And I really like those wheels, whatever they are! :thumbsup:
buzyg wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:21 pm MPSS every time, for dry weather fun.
My E86 M Coupe came with MPSS fitted when I bought it in December. They were hopeless in colder damp conditions, which meant most of the next 5 months, and half of the next year. :(

So I 'd avoid them if you want to drive your Z4 all year!

I fitted Kumho Ecstas in April 2021 and they have been great, plus they were surprisingly cheap. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MarshMA10

First Timer

Post by MarshMA10 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:19 pm

IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg (175.2 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Thanks chaps. I enjoyed using MPSS / MPS4 on a previous car, corvette c5. Never had them on e85. The Corvette is sort of similar in character to the e89, similar power, soft suspension, so I figured it might translate. They really revolutionised that car which came on Goodyear eagle f1 run flats.

SO - I also need some pointers on the following little tweaks……all help appreciated / any pointers on where to dig!

Upgrade reverse light bulb - the standard one is shocking.

Fit reverse sensors - I saw a video on YouTube for this. Is there a particular recommended product / supplier? Would like to have decent ones (gf insured…!!!!!)

Fix armrest usb - the slot in the arm rest is dud. The cig lighter here works, though. Any thoughts? I have android CarPlay head unit.

Rear LED indicators - some gap tooth going on! There are a few LEDs in the row out. Is there any cheap fix for this…..

Soft closer or something for sunvisors - they really slam shut.

Drivers side interior bulb - dud - is there anywhere I can find info on which bulbs etc go where?

Arm rest storage cover very loose - need to somehow refit this as it’s wobbly. Is this common / is there an interior disassembly reassembly guide?

Exposed screw in drivers door handle - little plastic covering is missing. Where can we get these tiny pieces?

Cruise control retrofit - has anyone done this? It seemed simple on e85. Would like to add it if it is simple.

Plastic for OBDII - the cover of the port has broken off. As above are these interior plastics findable?

Change roof system to one tap - is it possible to change the working of the roof, so you don’t have to hold the button and/or the key fob for 20s? Kind of annoying bit of programming !

Oh and I forgot to mention the best bit…… the car is straight piped so it’s a pretty loud beastie!!!

Ta

Chippie

First Timer

Post by Chippie » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:25 am

Welcome to the forum, very nice and a great colour choice, bonus point for the photos.
MarshMA10 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:57 am Rear LED indicators - some gap tooth going on! There are a few LEDs in the row out. Is there any cheap fix for this…..
The seal fails on the rear lights and water finds its way in, I’ve seen a YouTube video where it’s been stripped down and repaired, they have now stopped making them and it’s becoming very hard to find replacements, there are some aftermarket ones but they are quite expensive
MarshMA10 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:19 pm Exposed screw in drivers door handle - little plastic covering is missing. Where can we get these tiny pieces?
Have a look on the floor down the side of the seat, you may be lucky and find it there, otherwise it’s a trip to the main dealer, I think they are handed as well.
MarshMA10 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:19 pm Cruise control retrofit - has anyone done this? It seemed simple on e85. Would like to add it if it is simple.
Quite a simple upgrade, use the search function on the forum for info.
MarshMA10 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:19 pm Change roof system to one tap - is it possible to change the working of the roof, so you don’t have to hold the button and/or the key fob for 20s? Kind of annoying bit of programming !
It can’t be coded you will need to buy a “smarttop” module from “mods for cars” there not cheep around £400.00, or find a used one for about half the price.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

B21
Lifer
Lifer

First Timer

Post by B21 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:29 am

OBD11 cover is part of the footwell trim..not available separately..try a breaker…

Rear lights Chinese now make a version …

USB needs checking to see what fault..?

You need to become au fait with realoem.com for parts

Also need a bmw specific quality coder / reader unit
Attachments
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg (139.76 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

First Timer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:30 am

To fix the centre console lid the whole console must come out. It's not too difficult a job.
The reason it has to come out is that there is a plastic cover over the hinge pins that must be removed before pressing the hinge pins back into place. The plastic cover is screwed on from the underside.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jollyjoiner

First Timer

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:12 pm

Hello and welcome from another 35i owner. You could swap the suspension out to Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein B8 dampers like I've got, made to car feel less crashy but like you say from hard acceleration to hard braking at a higher speed can still unsettle the car a bit, mine got a bit worse doing this when I went from 255/30/19 to 265/35/19
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

First Timer

Post by B21 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:16 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:12 pm Hello and welcome from another 35i owner. You could swap the suspension out to Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein B8 dampers like I've got, made to car feel less crashy but like you say from hard acceleration to hard braking at a higher speed can still unsettle the car a bit, mine got a bit worse doing this when I went from 255/30/19 to 265/35/19
Wider tyres will increase the tendency to tram line especially as they wear down…rear camber tends to increase with age (like many things) which also increases the tendency to tramline..
:thumbsup:

MarshMA10

First Timer

Post by MarshMA10 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:50 pm

Amazing stuff here thanks chaps.

One of my one true love in exchange. It will take some work for the Z4 to replace this for first place in my garage……! ;)
Attachments
dd37b171-5e65-4fdb-ac2e-bca35ccedf60.jpeg
dd37b171-5e65-4fdb-ac2e-bca35ccedf60.jpeg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

DonDon

First Timer

Post by DonDon » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:55 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:30 am To fix the centre console lid the whole console must come out. It's not too difficult a job.
The reason it has to come out is that there is a plastic cover over the hinge pins that must be removed before pressing the hinge pins back into place. The plastic cover is screwed on from the underside.
AnubisZed (Dave) has a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@BMWZ4Mods that is well worth knowing about in general. The video about adding the mr12Volt MMI box shows how to remove the centre console.
2013 E89 28i auto