Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED E86 3.0si Coupe

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Abbas

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by Abbas » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:24 pm

darich wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am
Abbas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:04 am Thanks mate!

Yes, the inner voice in me sometimes says “go on, stretch to an M!” But overall I think I don’t want something too highly strung, or expensive to maintain and service. Most people who’ve seen me sell my s2000 expect me to get into something on-par in terms of engine or above but I actually just want something relatively stress free I can drive everyday, but still with a little bit of drama and excitement (and comfort)!

I’ve been told by a few people the si is abit more agreeable to daily, so it would be good to know your experience with an MC, in terms of ride comfort, servicing, engine maintenance etc?

Thanks!
I'm sure I read on this forum somewhere that some consider the 3.0Si a better value car than the M because it's 80% of the performance and only 50% of the costs.
I have the 3.0Si but never had and M so no personal experience.

I think it also helps a bit in my mind tat the 3.0si and the M have the same body in terms of arches, wideness etc. Only the front and rear bumper look different to me? If there are any differences it's minimal anyway so it's easier for me to go for an si. With the E46 for example, the M3 just looks so much better than a 330ci or whatever with the flared arches etc so it always sucks me in.

This being said though, I think if money wasn't a consideration, most of us would probably still go for the M so it would be good to know what ownership is like
BMW 3.0si Coupe
IG: @abbas2kk

darich

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by darich » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:32 pm

Road tax is significantly more.
I expect fuel will be too.
And insurance

But you're right.....not every decision is purely financial.

If you can, and you want to, then go for it.
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Striker1660

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by Striker1660 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:37 pm

I have what you want silver/grey with wine red leather seats 123k miles. please message me with contact details. Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:59 pm

Abbas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:04 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:26 am I've become addicted to Coupes so wish you all the best finding one. :thumbsup:

The 3.0Si has plenty of torque at low revs despite making peak power at 6,600 rpm, but my MC seems just as good at lower revs and gets really exciting over 5,000rpm - VANOS instead of VTEC I suppose. And it makes peak power at 7,900rpm!

Maybe time for some budget creep. :lol:

Thanks mate!

Yes, the inner voice in me sometimes says “go on, stretch to an M!” But overall I think I don’t want something too highly strung, or expensive to maintain and service. Most people who’ve seen me sell my s2000 expect me to get into something on-par in terms of engine or above but I actually just want something relatively stress free I can drive everyday, but still with a little bit of drama and excitement (and comfort)!

I’ve been told by a few people the si is abit more agreeable to daily, so it would be good to know your experience with an MC, in terms of ride comfort, servicing, engine maintenance etc?

Thanks!
If you are looking for something that isn't too highly strung a 3.0Si will definitely fit the bill, and be much cheaper to run than an M so it's probably exactly what you want.

The N52 engine in the Si is a great engine and works really well in a daily that can still provide some fun when required. That's why I've had my 330i daily with the same engine for over 4 years now!

The M needs much more TLC, including valve clearances checking and adjusting with shims every other service whereas the Si has hydraulic lifters. There there is the M tax on all the M specific bits, not forgetting the Band M Road Tax.

I've always thought the same as darich, with the Si being 80% of the car for 50% of the money and having had both I still think that.

So good luck finding the right one for you. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Abbas

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by Abbas » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:26 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Abbas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:04 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:26 am I've become addicted to Coupes so wish you all the best finding one. :thumbsup:

The 3.0Si has plenty of torque at low revs despite making peak power at 6,600 rpm, but my MC seems just as good at lower revs and gets really exciting over 5,000rpm - VANOS instead of VTEC I suppose. And it makes peak power at 7,900rpm!

Maybe time for some budget creep. :lol:

Thanks mate!

Thanks!
If you are looking for something that isn't too highly strung a 3.0Si will definitely fit the bill, and be much cheaper to run than an M so it's probably exactly what you want.

The N52 engine in the Si is a great engine and works really well in a daily that can still provide some fun when required. That's why I've had my 330i daily with the same engine for over 4 years now!

The M needs much more TLC, including valve clearances checking and adjusting with shims every other service whereas the Si has hydraulic lifters. There there is the M tax on all the M specific bits, not forgetting the Band M Road Tax.

I've always thought the same as darich, with the Si being 80% of the car for 50% of the money and having had both I still think that.

So good luck finding the right one for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks mate!

And thanks for the comparison between the two, that sounds like a very fair assessment
BMW 3.0si Coupe
IG: @abbas2kk

darich

E86 3.0si Coupe

Post by darich » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:56 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:59 pm I've always thought the same as darich, with the Si being 80% of the car for 50% of the money and having had both I still think that.
It may have been one of your other posts stating that, that I've read. :thumbsup:
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe