Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Brake Pads Low Dust Options?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:54 pm

My car will soon need rear brake pads, fed up with brake dust so looking for low dust options. I know EBC Red Stuff exists for the E89 does anyone know of any other brands? Also any recommendations for replacement rear discs? The car is the 30i.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:59 pm

Textar do an e option that’s low dust ..not the cheapest …
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:14 pm

EBC green stuff, low dust.

therealmc

Post by therealmc » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:03 pm

I’ve got EBC Red on the front and they certainly seem to give off less dust than whatever was there before.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:50 pm

Didn't know you could get low dust pads for rears TBH.
TRW discs are really good, but they seem to be less competitively priced now. They do discs with black painted hubs which look good too IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

birdy_z4

Post by birdy_z4 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:21 am

I have ebc and they give off less dust for sure

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:25 am

May sound daft, and of course dictated by conditions, but simply turning off the DSC will reduce rear brake dust dramatically on the E89.
It uses the electric handbrake and seems to be constantly nibbling away. Only car I've ever had where the rear wheels get dirtier than the fronts.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:42 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:25 am It uses the electric handbrake and seems to be constantly nibbling away. Only car I've ever had where the rear wheels get dirtier than the fronts.
Ditto. Ours had low dust pads on the front but not the back. With the DSC the car looked like it had been driven in reverse everywhere. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:59 pm Textar do an e option that’s low dust ..not the cheapest …
Found the product code for Textar but can’t find them on sale anywhere.
Pondrew wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:50 pm Didn't know you could get low dust pads for rears TBH.
TRW discs are really good, but they seem to be less competitively priced now. They do discs with black painted hubs which look good too IMO.
Thanks for the recommendation for the discs, I’ll check them out.
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:25 am May sound daft, and of course dictated by conditions, but simply turning off the DSC will reduce rear brake dust dramatically on the E89.
It uses the electric handbrake and seems to be constantly nibbling away. Only car I've ever had where the rear wheels get dirtier than the fronts.
I would be too scared turning off the DSC, might end up going sideways :rofl: :rofl: Just getting used to turning traction off. :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:26 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 pm I would be too scared turning off the DSC, might end up going sideways :rofl: :rofl: Just getting used to turning traction off. :D
25+ years with a 2.8i Capri, so it's like old times.

Mind you, took me a while to switch it off again after the remap. :roll:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:28 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:25 am May sound daft, and of course dictated by conditions, but simply turning off the DSC will reduce rear brake dust dramatically on the E89.
To be pedantic the rear traction control system uses a combination of hydraulic brake pressure via the ABS/DSC unit and engine management..timing / fuel corrections…at no time is the electronic parking brake subsystem is used..in any form..that’s only used for emergency braking where it commands both the rear wheels and the fronts via the ABS system to brake..and of course normal parking brake..

I’d concur that a re-mapped N20 would be ‘interesting’ without the DSC on for many drivers especially on a wet road…with twice the BHP and 3 times the torque of a 29i Capri it would be much more of a handful…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 am

B21 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:28 am
To be pedantic the rear traction control system uses a combination of hydraulic brake pressure via the ABS/DSC unit and engine management..timing / fuel corrections…at no time is the electronic parking brake subsystem is used..in any form..that’s only used for emergency braking where it commands both the rear wheels and the fronts via the ABS system to brake..and of course normal parking brake..

I’d concur that a re-mapped N20 would be ‘interesting’ without the DSC on for many drivers especially on a wet road…with twice the BHP and 3 times the torque of a 29i Capri it would be much more of a handful…
Ah well, uses the rear brakes and makes the wheels dirty.
At least I will go backwards into the scenery with nice clean wheels. :rofl:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 pm

I have done must be 40k miles on front pads and barely worn.
Rears half worn.
Both running MTec drilled grooved discs.
I see they are about £330 with pads, but i went EBC green stuff.
40k miles about half millimetre lip.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:43 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 pm I have done must be 40k miles on front pads and barely worn.
Rears half worn.
Both running MTec drilled grooved discs.
I see they are about £330 with pads, but i went EBC green stuff.
40k miles about half millimetre lip.
I’ve noticed that too, the rear pads get worn out way quicker than the fronts.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:51 am

Might be just the pads don't come off the discs quick enough when the eBrake is disengaged, then the bong of doom.
I can't see why the stability control is dabbing them, not on a race track, but i had traction kick in once or twice turning in sharp at T junction in normal mode.
Could be programmed to bias rear brakes for stopping stability, first car i have come across with rear wheel toe in for instance.
I know when the rear master cylinder seals failed on my car the front brakes weren't that efficient, especially on the bend i had to brake, probably rear biased at the turn, quite scary.