Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Straight pipe, muffler delete or aftermarket muffler?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
dakotaa

Post by dakotaa » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:21 am

Hello :D
Just wanted to ask whether I should straight pipe, remove the muffler or get an aftermarket one. I've seen that apparently straight pipes don't sound good but I just want to get a second opinion, as it is relatively cheap to do. My Z4 is a sDrive 23i and I want a bit more volume.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:41 am

You can butcher the silencer box or replace it with a non oem version …any straight pipe would be way in excess of acceptable noise..to anyone..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 pm

I've heard an E85 with the same N52 engine that had been straight-piped and it was much louder than I could put up with. It sounded like it would be really wearing on a longer journey.

I'd either get a different back-box or have the original modified.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 pm

How do they modify the original back box and can it be seen from the under the car that it has been manipulated? Sounds like a cheaper option than going for an aftermarket back box which can set you back anywhere from around £600 to £1200.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:51 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 pm How do they modify the original back box and can it be seen from the under the car that it has been manipulated? Sounds like a cheaper option than going for an aftermarket back box which can set you back anywhere from around £600 to £1200.
They dismount it, cut the top open..butcher the internals to suit clients tastes..then re weld it up..once mounted its impossible to see the mod externally…subject to no probe cameras..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: