Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE Avoid at all costs

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by True-Blue » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Spriteracer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:06 pm I was advised my my usual MOT tester not to buy a local car (of any kind) here in West Wales due to the salty air. We are about 8 miles from the coast.
The chap who bought my TTS a while back was from up north somewhere and advised me to NEVER but a car from Bradford, he said it was ridiculously easy to obtain an MOT on any vehicle without even taking it to an MOT station :cry:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Gwest44

Avoid at all costs

Post by Gwest44 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:50 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:22 pm
pvr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:18 pm I am not sure why Scotland fares so bad, perhaps the cars are less likely to be parked in garages? Or if it is colder, more salt on the roads?

I see the same with the Porsches - anything from Scotland has issues with the exhaust bolts that are impossible to get off.
Why is Barnsley worse than Glasgow?
Because they keep their whippets and pigeons in the garage, and their cars outside....of course! :roll: :wink:
How very dare you - once I've let the dogs and birds have their way with you I'm going to apply my flat cap and throw pork pies at your nether regions.
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 8xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by markplant » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:38 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:18 pm I am not sure why Scotland fares so bad, perhaps the cars are less likely to be parked in garages? Or if it is colder, more salt on the roads?

I see the same with the Porsches - anything from Scotland has issues with the exhaust bolts that are impossible to get off.
Probably from shrapnel damage as the roads are more like minefields
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by MikeyH » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:01 pm

markplant wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:38 pm

Probably from shrapnel damage as the roads are more like minefields
The roads can't be any worse than down here for gods sake :cry:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by Pondrew » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:48 pm

Gwest44 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:41 pm How very dare you - once I've let the dogs and birds have their way with you I'm going to apply my flat cap and throw pork pies at your nether regions.
By 'eck! :D Do you keep a ferret in your trousers too? :D

Pork pies are from Leicestershire. Melton Mowbray have a monopoly now! :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

james28

Avoid at all costs

Post by james28 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:26 pm

Mynewz4 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:26 pm https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing ... d%20search

Just bought and returned this deathtrap.

Rumbling, from rear and front wheels, dodgy broken random steering, rusted underside and right wing.

Corroded brake lines sprayed with silver paint to obscure it.

Rotten rear and front suspension and driveshafts. Subframe rusted beyond belief.

Engine noisy idle. Valves never been adjusted. No hot air from heating even after 45mins driving. Warm or cold at best.

10 owners.

This dealer cannot be trusted. He's been reported to all dvla, motor ombudsman etc.

Guys a slimey conman. You've been warned.
I presume you inspected the car before buying it and took if for a good long test drive to make sure it was in order before parting with cash ?
I would never ever buy a car without an inspection and always check the previous mot history to see what has been an issue if anything.
This car had obvious issues from previous mots did you not consider this?
And depending on the car in question ans cash spend would request a garage check over to satisfy myself before parting with the hard earned.

keving1

Avoid at all costs

Post by keving1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:39 pm

I would agree with james28, did you not take it for a test drive?

A test drive would have highlighted the issues that you state
- Rumbling, from rear and front wheels, dodgy broken random steering
- Engine noisy idle.

Looking at the service history would have highlighted that the "Valves never been adjusted"

Doing a quick HPI check on line (£3.99) would have highlighted that it had "10 Owners"

Looking at the MOT history would have highlighted "Brake pipes slightly corroded and "Rear surface corrosion to lower suspension arms, sub-frame and o/s chassis rail"

Everything that you returned the car for could have found before you parted with your money. Considering it's a £15k car!!!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Avoid at all costs

Post by B21 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:01 pm

The discussion peaked my interest as I bought my 35is from them..

Trustpilot gives it 4.6 out of 51 reviews and AT has 4.7 out of 165 reviews…

Not the mark of a company with multiple reported misdemeanours…

I often wonder what buyers are expecting a car dealer who buys a car in to do with it before selling it..

In my case they refurbished two alloys (as compared to when I saw the car as being sold by the owner earlier in the year)…

When my plug reader was plugged in it did record 127 faults, I had asked if I could read the codes, he said no problem..…having cleared them only 2 remained..I did go for a 30 mile drive which confirmed it was a 35is on run flat tyres..

It did have a number of wear and tear issues that appeared under more forensic examination but it was a 11 year old car with 50k miles and I think was representative of the marque..

From what I can see of the E85s I’ve seen over the last 7 years..which is over 100+ they do seem to be vulnerable to rust and corrosion that E89s do not suffer from..

A Z4M is likely to have attracted folks that will give it a hard life, probably fall out of love with it and pass it on to the next…and repeat..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Z450

Avoid at all costs

Post by Z450 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:29 am

I think sometimes there is a mixture of two things here. One being some of these cars now are getting on the old side, and reality require some work, and as a dealer I believe peoples expectations are higher due to the premium being paid.

That being said with some things I read I feel peoples expectations are sometimes unrealistic when taking the cars age, mileage into account.

That being said the mentioned M sounds a bit rough overall!

roblightbody

Avoid at all costs

Post by roblightbody » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am

Regarding the Scottish comments.

There are a significantly higher number of days in Scotland where it goes close enough to zero that they salt the roads. I'm only in the west of Scotland in the central belt and we've already been salted for weeks now.

If it was up to me I'd legislate to enforce correct tyre fitment in Scotland in the colder months, and then reduce salt usage!

For many years we've gone to the effort to go as far south as possible when buying a used car for this reason. I've had two classic minis and an mx5 this way, and then the current E86 came from near Luton... All were rust free compared to local cars.

That's not to say there aren't good cars up here, but more care is required selecting.
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

pvr
Legend
Legend

Avoid at all costs

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:36 am

And the amount of care taken of the cars matters as well. I spray the underneath of the car with the Karcher underbody wash implement and protect it with the body wax from karcher afterwards.

So this is what my Porsche looks like:
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2904.jpeg (171.33 KiB) Viewed 490 times
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by flimper » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:54 am

I've looked at the underbody Karcher thing but have been worried about the sensors under there getting water damaged
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

pvr
Legend
Legend

Avoid at all costs

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:01 am

But what happens when you drive through water on the motorway ...

I used it on my M for 7 years as well before it went to Bing
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by flimper » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:53 am

You're probably right, I'm just scared to do anything around those sensors as have been stung for ridiculous money on them recently
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Avoid at all costs

Post by tomscott » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Porsche exhaust bolts are a poor example. Its well known that Porsche use cheap fittings and its pretty standard to replace them with stainless steel before they inevitably turn to dust. Doesn't matter how much you look after it, cheap bolts with no protection rust. It's not a failing of the owner but Porsche.

Plus its all well and good posting a pic of the underside of the car but when its done literally no milage it should look new it hasnt done 70k like the car in question. Plus the car in question was £16k not 100k like your 911 50 so again a completely different proposition and I doubt would be babied as such.

Same with any car especially when your buying an old car with x amount of owners, to expect the underside not to be rusty is silly its exposed and plastic trays dont solve the problem.

Even cars with low miles you think should look good like Johne89s but those pics were pretty bad. Mines had a hard life and lived in Liverpool Newcastle and Manchester all its life and there are rust areas like the struts etc but it looks ok and nothing worse than I would expect. Surface rust is one thing but deep rust is another. Surface rust isnt difficult to sort and looks worse than it is.

To the average person I doubt it even crosses their mind to under seal it. Let alone to buy an attachment to pressure wash the engine.

The cost to have it ice blasted and undersealed is prohibitive. Again if we're going off the latest posts on the M marketplace thread that Ms arent going to be worth more than 12k spending £1000-2000 isnt a great idea is it. Unless your doing it yourself but how many of you have a ramp and the knowledge to do it properly.